Drill bit sharpening

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No skills

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Can anybody reccomend any drill bit sharpening tools that are not bench grinder dependant - did have a plasplugs thing at work for a while but it died pretty quick and wasnt a quality item to say the least.

Start with a drill you can see, and feel, on the sander. I would look at 10 or 12mm, it is easier to see just what is happening. Work your way to smaller diameters slowly. For very small drills it's probably not worth the effort, just buy in bulk.

xy

Interesting, not thought of using the belt sander for that. At a push at work I use an angle grinder to salvage a bit thats desperately needed but the average disk is too course to do a nice job. Would be interested in any tools an gagits that people have found to be good.

Thanks for the info so far!

It's much easier on a belt sander than an angle grinder so if you can manage on a grinder you'll be fine on a belt sander. You wont need any jigs.

Hi all, I had a look at the drill doctor - looks good but I cant justifiy the expense. I might have access now to a very cheap bench grinder - its a small delta one, I might investigate getting some new wheels and maybe some sort of attachment for it. Any advice on what type/grade of wheels or jigs that might be any good??

Thanks for the help so far.

You don't need any jigs to grind a drill on a grinding machine...do it by hand. Once you've seen how to do it (and it's much easier seen than explained) you'll see why. I was shown about 35 years ago how to do it...a bit like riding a bike :wink: - Rob

woodbloke":24zcnzy0 said:
You don't need any jigs to grind a drill on a grinding machine...do it by hand. Once you've seen how to do it (and it's much easier seen than explained) you'll see why. I was shown about 35 years ago how to do it...a bit like riding a bike :wink: - Rob

Have to agree with Rob learn to do it by hand so quick I have an old grinder nothing special I can go down to about 4mm accurately...

If you have a reversible electric drill ?
mount this in your vice with the blunt bit, get something hard and flat (a file will do), use this as a 'backer for some fine emery paper-switch the drill on (in reverse) and present the emery to the cutting edge-not the side flutes !

thus / <===={

there is a prefered angle for this but I just do it by eye, wood bits (lip and spur, spade etc) are a completely different creature though and cant be done this way, I think needle files are how these are sharpened ?

Latest posts

Back