Router Box-Joint Jig?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's one where expertise in Sketchup would be good - a picture will easily be worth a thousand words :).

I think he attaches the top to the sides simply using screws, so you could replace those with bolts and wing-nuts (or t-nuts countersunk into the top) to give you a removable top. It shouldn't (ha!) be too difficult to convert the side and back assemblies into a hinged gatefold affair. You'd need to fiddle the stock dimensions to give some clearance for the folding sides, I guess.

For something portable, you might be better with an alternative design. I've seen a couple that do away with any kind of leg assembly and instead use a brace across the underside of the table which simply clamps into your bench vice. I think Ralph Laughton did one like that a while ago in New Woodworking.

I had thought along those lines, I guess it is a suck it and see situation. Test out designs that work.

A different design would be welcome. Thinking about it, in theory I could just make the top and clamp it between 2 tables as WW Class and 2 Workmates at home. Or indeed, just make 3 leg structures which can be all clamped together.... OR the 2 side legs fold in and the back leg is seperate for clamping.

hmmmm

When I bought my Wolfcraft router table the manual had details of a model with a few extras including a part for box jointing.
I rang Wolfcraft to see if this item could be bought separately and was told the EU safety rules made it illegal to sell here.
All it was, was a short length of metal screwed to the table the same distance from the cutter as the width of the metal.
An L shaped jig was made from plywood with a slot underneath which slid along the metal strip.
The jig was similar to the ones used in a table saw with a dado cutter.

This type of jig is used a lot in America and is shown a number of times on the router forum
http://www.routerforums.com/ which is a TV series made by WGBH who make New Yankee Workshop.

When I tried to use the jig I made I took one cut then moved the work along to the pin and clamped the other board to the first and made a second pass.
The cutter snatched and could have thrown the work across the shop and because instinct makes you grab at the piece my hands could easily have been pulled into the cutter.
I'll never try that again so dumped the idea.
Before a bad accident 20 months ago I had started making a box joint jig that slid in the mitre slot of the router table but have been unable to finish it yet. :(

Latest posts

Back