Workshop shed planning permission

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want to attach a new shed(for lathe) built in timber to the side of my detached bungalow, would I ever get planning permission?

Reading posts above, it states a building in combustible materials is not possible,

devonwoody":2j2gd7hb said:
I want to attach a new shed(for lathe) built in timber to the side of my detached bungalow, would I ever get planning permission?

Reading posts above, it states a building in combustible materials is not possible,

Rang the building regs. office this afternoon and things are not as bad as first thought, he said if its ground level and only a garden outbuilding building regs. need not apply.
The planning office were a bit more cunning, they said write in and we will give you a form to fill in.
I pushed and got an answer eventually that if its a garden outbuilding and met the usual criteria (my words) I dont need planning permission.
So I might have a turning shed shortly for the big lathe I am getting :)

I've sent my local planning dept an email with my outline intentions and asked them whatI have to do next. They responded saying that they needed to know my address so they could "forward my enquiry on". I'm not sure quite what that's about but I hope it's not a bad sign.

No, that will be the receptionist needing to work out which Planning Officer to give your drawing to. Most councils divide the work up on an area basis so that one Planning Officer gets to know his patch very well.

Mike

Good to know.

I've nearly finished my sketchup design and I'll start a new topic with it when I'm ready to invite comments.

Still hadn't heard anything from the planning office so I phoned them.

I told them that, at this stage, I just wanted to clarify if I would need planning consent. I told her that I thought that I would because I suspect that the ridge height would be above 2.5m. She asked if it was within 2m of the boundary to which I replied that the shed is but the ridge might not be ! I asked if it was the ridge or the actual shed that counts (I suspect it's the shed but I thought I'd ask).

She told me that she can't confirm anything that complicated and that I'd need to apply for some legal document (can't remember the name) that would say if I needed permission. This will cost £75! So I have to pay £75 to confirm that I will need to apply to building permission (which will then cost me more). This is very annoying. I was hoping that they would just know their own rules and be able to tell me.

I think I'm going to try to make sure my design keeps the ridge height below 2.5m in order to avoid the need for planning permission.

Make an appointment with a Planning Officer, take a drawing of what you propose and he will tell you within 1 minute whether you need PP or not. You have only been talking to receptionists. Most councils at the least operate a duty planning officer system, sometimes mornings only, who will give this sort of advice quickly.

Mike

What mike says. Also, our planning office have 'surgeries' where you can drop in, take a (metaphorical) ticket and sit down for a chat with an officer who will tell you exactly what you need to do (not whether it will be allowed, but what process to follow).

I did ask for the duty planning officer but they were on the other phone so I guess that I got unlucky.

I'll try again. If that means making an appointment, then I'll do it.

On further thinking though, I'd like to keep the ridge below 2.5m anyway if I can (save blocking out any more light to the veg patch).

What's the reslistic minimum pitch I can get away with?

My local planning and building control depts are very helpful. :? Bear in mind that they are under strict guidelines from their employers to remain non commital and that they deal very often with applicants whose final plans bear little resemblance to their initial enquiries.

Just another perspective on the subject however :-

Be very careful how you describe the intended use of the "shed" and my advice would be never to say you intend to use it as a workshop or to install machinery of any kind.
Even hand and minor power tools can be veiwed with suspicion by some authorities due to a potential noise nuisance consideration.

Just my 2 pennerth seen several times first hand :cry:

cheers

Bob

To be honest.. I'd just do it. You can always do what the travelling community are so fond of doing and apply for the permission retrospectively.

I reckon as long as you don't water off the neighbours you'll be fine, at the end of the day unless someone is actively hunting for something to get you for they aren't going to know you don't have permission.

Certainly my parents have a garage loft conversion my dad did himself and he hasn't declared it, and I'm pretty sure he did all of the wiring to his garage himself.

BR & PP are retarded, the council put up a 10' fence out side my parents house to block off access to a field due to complains about youths using it for drinking. A neighbour on the other side had trees (trees were 20'+) along side said fence decided to cut them down. He then checked for PP to erect a fence. He was told the fence could be no more than 4'. So youths could enter the his garden climb the fence thereby bypassing the 10' council fence. In the end he ignored the council put up a 8' fence on the field side and then dropped to a 4' fence on the road side (a total of 7' long on that side).

mrbingley":27cm3d4k said:
Looking at that planning portal site. It's 2.5 metres height to the "eaves", not the ridge.

HTH
Chris.

Yes except :?

Under new regulations that came into effect on 1 October 2008 outbuildings are considered to be permitted development, not needing planning permission, subject to the following limits and conditions:

* No outbuilding on land forward of a wall forming the principal elevation.
* Outbuildings and garages to be single storey with maximum eaves height of 2.5 metres and maximum overall height of four metres with a dual pitched roof or three metres for any other roof.
* Maximum height of 2.5 metres in the case of a building, enclosure or container within two metres of a boundary of the curtilage of the dwellinghouse.

* No verandas, balconies or raised platforms.
* No more than half the area of land around the "original house"* would be covered by additions or other buildings.
* In National Parks, the Broads, Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty and World Heritage Sites the maximum area to be covered by buildings, enclosures, containers and pools more than 20 metres from house to be limited to 10 square metres.
* On designated land* buildings, enclosures, containers and pools at the side of properties will require planning permission.
* Within the curtilage of listed buildings any outbuilding will require planning permission.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/public/buildingwork/projects/workcommonoutbuildings/

dh7892":j24j84tz said:
I've just moved house and all my tools etc are currently in the loft doing no one any good. So, I want to build a shed to work in. . . .

One question - are you self employed? If so, and any connection can be made between your work and your shed then you may need PP even if the size is within permitted limits. I know one person at least who posts here had problems along these lines not so very long ago - not sure if it was resolved but he has recently started to rent his own premises.

Steve

Pvt_Ryan":20kyce80 said:
To be honest.. I'd just do it. You can always do what the travelling community are so fond of doing and apply for the permission retrospectively.

I reckon as long as you don't pineapple off the neighbours you'll be fine, at the end of the day unless someone is actively hunting for something to get you for they aren't going to know you don't have permission.

I'd do the same in your situation. planning have much bigger fish to catch than a lowly shed errector :lol:

Certainly my parents have a garage loft conversion my dad did himself and he hasn't declared it, and I'm pretty sure he did all of the wiring to his garage himself

Your parents (or their beneficiaries) are very likely to have problems when it comes to selling the property without the relevant permissions and cirtificates of approval to show the purchasers solicitors IMO :?

cheers

Bob

I don't think it will as I would imagine all he needs to do is tear up the boards (all screwed down) and/or remove the ladder and say it was just to lower the ceiling, then just disconnect the wiring going out..

But as far as I am aware there are no plans to sell the house..

Pvt_Ryan":2a35pg29 said:
I don't think it will as I would imagine all he needs to do is tear up the boards (all screwed down) and/or remove the ladder and say it was just to lower the ceiling, then just disconnect the wiring going out..

But as far as I am aware there are no plans to sell the house..

Ah right - not a proper conversion then so no probs. :idea:

There are a lot of people using loft space as "rooms", joists not reinforced, no proper stair access etc.

Not something I'd do personally as It isn't safe, especially in the event of fire IMO but fully understand why so many householders go down that route.

cheers

bob

It won't cause problems, and will be perfectly saleable without ripping anything out. It just won't add any real value to the house as it will be sold as "boarded out storage space". Very common.

Back