Vase / hollow form : Critique

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodrighy

Established Member
Reaction score
I have had a banksia nut on the shelf for a couple of years not knowing what to do with it and when I damaged the neck on a hollow form I decided to use a part of it this way. I turned it down to about 3mm so that the holes went right through. Horrible stuff to turn but it does come up nice when polished.

The wood is pear and it is 6 1/2" tall. Finished with ren wax.

This one isn't for critique particularly, just to show the colouring that we can get in hawthorn sometimes.

The split is brass filled and there are a couple of others around the neck as well.

Pete

Novel effect with the banksia Pete, sits well and looks as though it was intentional from the start as opposed to a salvage job, a case of a contrast looking better than a poor match IMO.

Certainly managed to make better use of the banksia than my last attempt, never again unless encased in resin for me.

Pete

For me , photo 1 - 2 -4 all look very good

but not keen on no 3 :( the natural edge part seems to overwhelm the form

I do like the banksia nut top though , :wink:

Pete, about the pear hollow form/vase, the only comment I have is, I love the form, hey what about the holes in the neck, are they already there, or are they drilled.
The color of the hawthorn (meidoorn) is stunning on picture four.
Have you plans with this hawthorn??
Ad

The banksia nut is full of holes that have seeds in them. These are the holes that you can see. Have you not come across these? You haven't lived. They are brittle, covered in fluff and spit the seeds out as though trying to shoot you as you turn. Great little things. Check 'Banksia Nuts'

What do you mean by plans for the hawthorn? do you mean the wood or the turned piece?

Pete

Hi Pete

Good save there with the banskia nut neck. I have yet to turn one. Looks effective.

Take care

Mark

Not so keen on the nut on top of this form Pete,looks too big for the size of the form,which i think would've looked better by itself,as would the nut.
The base of the form is a little too wide also and could do with been tucked in a bit more,that's if it's not going to be used for flowers etc.
The Hawthorne looks great,but i would have taken the bark out by making the wall thinner,if possible. :D

Thanks for the feedback. In real life the nut actually looks very effective though obviously that is my personal opinion. The shape is based on a classic Greek urn and is pretty close to the original. It wasn't intended to be anything more than decorative really and though it is hollowed out completely, the entrance hole through the banksia is only about 5mm so it isn't very practical. The base is about an inch diameter, much smaller and I think it would have a problem standing .

Hawthorn and blackthorn can have some gorgeous figuring and colouring in them but it is pot luck when you cut into them. I'm lucky in having a big stack of both so am pretty much guaranteed to get some good pieces from it.
Also just been contacted by a lady who has just had to cut down a laburnum with a trunk in excess of 2' diameter. "Did I want it?" Guss what my answer was. :lol:

pete

Bodrighy":10ki7qs2 said:
.......Also just been contacted by a lady who has just had to cut down a laburnum with a trunk in excess of 2' diameter. "Did I want it?" Guss what my answer was. :lol:

pete

Pete, whatever you do re: drying the Laburnum, keep it dry (sheltered out of rain) the sapwood rots very rapidly if subjected to wetting. The brown core stays sound but if allowed to get wet the pale sapwood can be peeled off by hand within twelve months or so.

Thanks Chas, I didn't know that. I have a store room I can put the logs into. I will try and keep it as big as possible but if it really is that large I have to take weight into consideration :lol: Don't know how long it has been down either.

pete

Bodrighy":5yk493uk said:
Thanks Chas, I didn't know that.
pete
Nor me, thought some I had outside was just spalting but found the bark was just a shell containing cotton wool sapwood.

I think I'll take care with this as laburnum this size isn't that common so if I can save it properly it will be well worth it.

pete

Hi Pete, like the Banksia nut neck :D Good save,it looks like you always meant it to look like that,so thats all good 8) . The only(very small) criticsm is the flow doesn't seem to quite follow down into the base, in that it could do with tucking under a bit more(or sooner) but all in all it looks damn fine 8)

Johnny

Hi Pete,

Not sure why but not keen on this one, I think it's down ti the finer points others have suggested.

Good job on the banksia nut, I do like the contrast of the 2 parts a lot, nice 1.

Now, the 2nd piece is fantastic! Been looking at it for ages, for days, and to me it looks like a rock breaking out of an urn! I love it loads and it looks like a difficult thing to turn, bit of a 'pant checker' perhaps?

Cheers,

Lee.

Bodrighy":1xpbvv82 said:
The banksia nut is full of holes that have seeds in them. These are the holes that you can see. Have you not come across these? You haven't lived. They are brittle, covered in fluff and spit the seeds out as though trying to shoot you as you turn. Great little things. Check 'Banksia Nuts'

What do you mean by plans for the hawthorn? do you mean the wood or the turned piece?

Pete
Pete, I'm unknown with Banksia Nuts, the only thing I heard you can find them in Australia, never saw them in Holland.
What I meant with the plans for the hawthorn, is it going back on the lathe for removing the big spot of bark or leave you it like it is now.
I love the clean sight on the second picture and enjoy the color of the wood, but the sight on the first picture is not so nice. A matter of taste??

The inside is turned as far as the bark. If I took any more off the outside I would have a void in it. Personally I love the contrasting texture though I agree that it isn't to everyone's taste. For me this vase has two characters depending on how you display it.

Banksia nuts are one of those things you either hate or love. You can get them here in the UK but are the sort of thing that most turners try once and that's enough. Cindy Drozda uses them a lot for her little pedestal boxes.

Pete

Back