Which Lathe to buy?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyke

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking to purchase a lathe, never had one before and considering a few options:

VB36
Vicmarc VL300 Long ASM EVS
Magma Black Line TITAN 315
Jet 4224
any other suggestions?

I want to be able to turn objects up to a large diameter and have the flexibility to do spindles too, also, I know it's virtually impossible but I would like it to be able to last 20 or 30 yrs as I don't plan on buying another one!

I would appreciate your advice and guidance.

Thanks

tyke":13d1jx0s said:
Hi,

I'm looking to purchase a lathe, never had one before and considering a few options:

VB36
Vicmarc VL300 Long ASM EVS
Magma Black Line TITAN 315
Jet 4224
any other suggestions?

I want to be able to turn objects up to a large diameter and have the flexibility to do spindles too, also, I know it's virtually impossible but I would like it to be able to last 20 or 30 yrs as I don't plan on buying another one!

I would appreciate your advice and guidance.

Thanks

Oneway 2436

:p :p

would it be wise to start off by spending say 500 - 1000 to confirm that you love turning and work out what sort of thing really floats your boat, sell that making a small loss (maybe not if you bought 2nd hand) and then chuck 2-4K at it?

You could also do as some do and work your way through owning them all before settling on one "life time partner" lathe? :)

Miles

I would add the Steinert Maximo and a custom Kreher lathe to that list (Kreher goes up to 380 mm center height, with rotating headstock).

I do agree on the comment about trying it out first, however.

Have you thought about a Hegner HDB200xl? I only say as my problems I briefly reported a few weeks ago have not cleared up so will be looking to part ways with my beauty, so if interested let me know.

cheers

Joe

Thanks very much for all your suggestions, spent hours looking at all the spec's.

Decided to go on a few trips and have a go, experience using some of these machines to see which I enjoy the best, after all, thats whats it's all about!

If anyone has any other ideas, please let me know.

graduate bowl turner with a speed genie conversion, or one of the big wadkin lathes with the same, or one of those big red silver drive things like tom (wizer) has got

that said I agree with miles that you might be better off getting a cheaper lathe until you know that you want to pursue the hobby (as you say you've never had one before) , my lathe is a axminster absl1200 and can turn 18" dia over the bed or 30" with the head stock slid to the end (or more with a free standing tool rest) - that cost about 800 notes and does everything I need

prior to that I had a axminster M900 which costs less than 400 and still allowed the turning of fairly big items with the head swivelled

Ive also just bought a denford/viceroy educator lathe for my volunteers to use - that does 10" dia over the bed or 16" outboard and cost the princely sum of £180 on ebay (and that included a chuck)

Joelondon":ahluv972 said:
Have you thought about a Hegner HDB200xl? I only say as my problems I briefly reported a few weeks ago have not cleared up so will be looking to part ways with my beauty, so if interested let me know.

cheers

Joe

incidentally theres another of these on the for sale board - a snap at £1500 (nothing to do with me bbtw i'm just brining it to tykes attention) https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/for- ... 44335.html

Back