Sharpening and setting up a spokeshave.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Celtic Eagle

Reaction score
Hi

First post and maybe a daft question but can anyone explain how to sharpen a spokeshave and set one up correctly? I have been buying secondhand tools and picked a decent spokeshave up but it's blunt and not set correctly.

Any advice appreciated

If you mean a steel one with a squarish flat blade then honing is much easier with a blade holder - a saw kerf in a short length of 2x3/4" will do it.
You can do something similar with a trad blade and work it diagonally along the stone - though you might need to undercut it so that the bottom "jaw" clears the stone.

Setting up is just a matter of trial and error.

A piece of thin paper under the nose sometimes helps for setting the blade, just drop it into place, tighten everything up and you should have a nice fine set. Some people set the blade for a heavier cut on one side so that they can vary the thickness of shaving by using different parts of the blade.

It will soon click if you spend a little time playing.

I put my index finger under the mouth to hold the blade and then tighten...

I got the feel for it now and know exactly the depth I need...

My lightbulb moment however came when I switched to a Vertias blade...(iron)....

DSC_0335.JPG

To make it fit...file down the bed not the mouth...that way you get a nice seating and it pokes through...just!

DSC_0295.JPG

Word of warning though...this upgrade can seriously increase your pretty shaving count!

DSC_0330.JPG

:wink:

Jim

Celtic Eagle":gnfcho0i said:
Thanks Guys
Guess what I'm doing tonight

Don't forget CE....pictures...we love pictures!

Just a bit of encouragement for you...my No.52 "Veritas" shave came out in anger the other day...a bit of homegrown cherry needed shaping:

DSC_0011.JPG

This iron in the modified No.52 really zips along...

DSC_0018.JPG

...resulting in a "veritable" wig's worth of spiral shavings....

DSC_0016.JPG

....and a fine finish....

DSC_0024.JPG

Good luck with your tuning!

Jim

Back