Bandsaw cutting Aluminium

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrewm

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure that this even qualifies as 'General Woodworking' but I have a requirement to cut a strip of 3mm thick anodized aluminium lengthwise and my Basato 3 is the best way that I can think of to do it. But, what blade should I use and do I need any lubrication? Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks

Andrew

If you need lubrication, (any sign of metal swarf sticking to blade) then use plain paraffin. But be aware that although it will dry off rapidly from table surface, sawdust under/in machine will be saturated and should be cleaned out asap. Also the tyres on your machine may not be impervious to any coolants if it is marketed for woodwork use.

Andrew... I do this all the time at work...

tpi around 12-15 or so, no need for lube and let the blade do the work; using a fence to guide will vastly enhance the quality of the cut, needing minimal clean up time...

Downside is that you'll need to thoroughly clean the saw afterwards, inside and out; the swarf gets everywhere... pay particular attention to your tyres and guides...

Back