Turning Man Made Fibre

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UKTony

Established Member
Reaction score
The current competition on the main forum has given me an idea for a small project involving both the lathe and scrollsaw in essence producing lets say a vase with inlay ie a silhouette created on the scrollsaw, in keeping within the competition remit what recommendations could be made for man made wood that could be turned and would produce a suitable finish if this was mixed with a natural wood

Hope that makes sense

Can't speak for the finish because I haven't taken it that far but you can turn MDF and by gluing pieces together, perhaps you could make a vase.

I have made a number of MDF disks that I use for honing chisels and it turns just fine on my metal working lathe - I see no reason why you couldn't use woodworking lathe tools on it too.

I turned a number of 5" diameter balls from layers of MDF to use on the top of newel posts and with a couple of coats of sanding sealer got them to a very smooth finish before painting.

Now if you could get some bits of the colour core MDF you should be able to come up with something interesting.

Jason

I cant seem to find details of the competiton anywhere, could someone point me in the right direction?

Tony,
MDF turns fine (make sure you've got a mask on) I've made various adaptors for connecting dust extractions pipe together. Just glue it together to get a piece big enough.
I've been considering turning an almost all MDF piece for the comp, still working out some details (might be a post asking for help working out segments for a circle soon :?: )

cd

Latest posts

Back