Kity K5 combi machine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smiler6303

Reaction score
Hi Folks, I need your help ! I've just been offered a K5 machine, (sight unseen as yet), but I know nothing about them. Were they a good machine? what should I look out for? what sort of price range?

Any help would be much appreciated,

smiler

smiler6303":mewim308 said:
Hi Folks, I need your help ! I've just been offered a K5 machine, (sight unseen as yet), but I know nothing about them. Were they a good machine? what should I look out for? what sort of price range?

Any help would be much appreciated,

smiler

Hi

I bought one of these in 1987 just before they changed to a Bestcombi.

It's an excellent little machine as long as you remember it was aimed squarely at the home user.
All you need to check really are the usual bearings and motor. Look carefully at the condition in general and tables especially which will soon tell you how hard a life it's had.

Despite owning independant full size machines, I've kept the K5 and still use it regularly if I need something dome quickly, (my machine shop isn't set up yet and very easy just to pull out the K5).

Check what the machine has with it.

Is it 5 function? ie slot morticer included.
An extension saw table is useful
What tooling is included
All guarding to moulder and fence for saw etc

remember that apart from belts, you won't easily get spares but it's a simple set of independant machines linked to 1 motor so easily repaired.

Note limitation in tooling size and especially the 20mm spindle (I bushed a cutter block down from 30mm though).

specs:
Gen dimentions - 1015 x 555 x 620mm - weight 65kg
Motor - 1100wt (1 hp)
Saw - rise & fall (45d) - blade 200mm - depth of cut 60mm
Planer /thick - w = 149 x d = 100mm 2 knives HSS
Sp Moulder - Spindle 20mm (30 x 3mm slot)
Tool max h = 80mm dia = 100mm spd 5700rpm
slot morticer - Mortice len = 110 d = 90 height adjust = 50mm

I've got all the original docs including assembly, catalogues, accessories and price lists (out of date) as well as a couple of test / reveiw articles from that era so if you need info just pm me.

Hope that helps

I

Lons, many thanks for your speedy and knowledgable observations!

I went to see the machine tonight armed with your checklist, the machine is complete with all guarding some moulder tools and spare saw blades
I could see or feel no play in the pulleys and the tables looked good and square. the planer would need new blades,all in all a good honest machine, BUT not for me... :

the owner is looking for circa £300 So if any body else is looking for a K5 please let me know and I'll pass on the details

Once again many thanks, smiler

Hi Smiler6303. I also saw a k5 machine for the first time at the weekend. First impressions, were what a handy and cleverly thought out little machine it was. Ideal for the smaller workshop. I took a few pics as i was so surprised. Hopefully you wont mind me showing them here.

2aef317e.jpg

82a91c7e.jpg

e3226eab.jpg

b618e5e9.jpg

6d90ee8c.jpg

If i didnt have a few bigger toys to play with, i would have been interested. Everything all on one mobile trolley. Be great if space were a problem. Your own woodworking factory on wheels 8)

Simon

That's exactly how it was marketed and why it was popular. At the time I was moving to a new house which needed major surgery and little time to set up a workshop.
I needed to produce mouldings to match existing not easily available, Make unit doors and god knows how many other things.
I liked the idea of tucking it in a corner of the garage and it being accessible within minutes.
I researched fully and liked the fact it was seperate machines rather than integrated like its' competitors.
Cost me £800 around in 1987 not really cheap but I've had 22 years usage and it's amazing what it can do with a little ingenuity.

Hello everyone

I am in the same situation - just purchased a Kity K5 really cheap ( £ 50....the seller did not know what it was... ) and it is in good condition with a lot of extras going with it. However I am facing this 20mm/30mm problem too. So does anyone have a moulder head for this one, or a link to where it can be found.

But first, most basic, another question: Are you supposed to shift the belt by hand between the three functions by rolling and sliding it off the wheel ? Same belt for all three ?

And: I see on these postings an instruction booklet. Most needed as you hear as I am totally new to this, but have built some furniture using handheld tools. Can I ask for a copy of the instructions booklet , or borrow it and make copies and return, or any other solution. I can pay you for that.

Finally it was encourageing to read these postings talking nice about this combination setup, as the space saving quick ease was why I bought it.

Yours
/ Roos
Stockholm

[I am in the same situation - just purchased a Kity K5 really cheap ( £ 50....the seller did not know what it was... ) and it is in good condition with a lot of extras going with it. However I am facing this 20mm/30mm problem too. So does anyone have a moulder head for this one, or a link to where it can be found.

But first, most basic, another question: Are you supposed to shift the belt by hand between the three functions by rolling and sliding it off the wheel ? Same belt for all three ?

And: I see on these postings an instruction booklet. Most needed as you hear as I am totally new to this, but have built some furniture using handheld tools. Can I ask for a copy of the instructions booklet , or borrow it and make copies and return, or any other solution. I can pay you for that.

Finally it was encourageing to read these postings talking nice about this combination setup, as the space saving quick ease was why I bought it.

Yours
/ Roos
Stockholm

Yes just roll the belt on/off while slowly turning a pully by hand.

You can use a top hat reducing bush to fit a small 30mm block onto the 20mm spindle, something like this but 20mm bore

Jason

Hi Roos

what Jason said is exactly how you change over the belt. It takes just a few seconds once you are used to it but there are 2 things you should be aware of
1). if you overload the saw it will shed the belt. A good thing for safety so isn't a fault with the machine
2). When finished with the machine, it is good practice to slip the belt off as it is easy to forget which machine it's on and it could catch you by surprise next time you switch on. it sounds obvious but easy to make a mistake and cause an accident.

Regarding the spindle shaft. as suggested you could use top hat washers. Those weren't available when I needed a solution so I just got a local engineer to make me a couple of sleeves at 20mm bore / 30mm external and a few mm smaller than the depth of the block. I also needed a washer on the bottom of the shaft but the original top washer grips the block well.

It's also important that you sequence your work carefully for example, to use the saw, the guarding on the spindle moulder must be removed so you need to do all the sawing first for obvious reasons. It doesn't affect the planer / thicknesser.

I scanned the whole instruction book for another member recently so I have it saved as well as some original price lists and brochures. They are in PDF format so you will need Adobe reader but it's free off the web if you haven't got it. You could view on the computer or print off.

If you want them just send me a pm with your email address and I'll send to you. there are 3 files in total at around 4 or 5 mb each.

cheers

Bob

Jason/Lons

Thank you for advice on how to get started with the Kity K5. I had the circular saw blade sharpened by a professional and received it today, it now cuts like a razor silent and neat. Also realized there was a handy aluminum quick slot for shifting saw blade ( I dismounted the whole support board the first time.. ). The saw is weak and you need to feed it slowly but makes nice cut surface. There is also a support arm for selection of angles.

Instruction book from Lons on PDF - YES please !
Would be most appreciated and read over and over.
My email address is [email protected]

Tried to reply by "PM" but not in operation, it said I had to participate more first....ok, will do.

So there is an instruction for the Kity K5 scanned into PDF , of value for future users (I write this sentence as it will be search-able, it took me several days to find this forum so now maybe easier for the next one). Also tried to get in touch with the company that merged with Kity but no reply yet.

Guess I will be back when I get the planer and moulder in operation. Intend to build some boxes and drawers for my shop and maybe later on try furniture. Ultimate fantasy: a wooden greenhouse

Thanks

/Roos
Stockholm

Email and pdf files sent Roos - let me know if any probs receiving or opening them.

As far as searching for them, you won't find the files on the web as these are what I scanned from my own originals for a forum member.

if anyone else needs them, i'm quite happy to send however.

cheers

Bob

hi, would it be possible to have a copy of the instructions too?
I bought a (nearly)complete but dismantled K5 some time ago
I'm also after a ripping/guide fence for the saw if anyones got a scrap or cheap machine

thanks
Cliff

bigplum":2r8e3is4 said:
hi, would it be possible to have a copy of the instructions too?
I bought a (nearly)complete but dismantled K5 some time ago
I'm also after a ripping/guide fence for the saw if anyones got a scrap or cheap machine

thanks
Cliff

PM sent

Hi I am a new member and I am looking for a combi machine. The Woodstar for about £ 800 looks suitable has anyone had experience of this machine?
The Kitty K5 may be of interest if I could get a used one.

Hi, would it be possible to also get a copy of the manual. I am reassembling my machine after many years in boxes and the manual seems to be lost in the domestic filing system.

Thanks,

Michael

michaelo7800":tyk9xcm5 said:
Hi, would it be possible to also get a copy of the manual. I am reassembling my machine after many years in boxes and the manual seems to be lost in the domestic filing system.

Thanks,

Michael

Hi Michael

If you pm me with your email address, I'll send you the pdf files (Adobe reader), which you can print off or view on your computer.

It will be a self extracting zipped file but it's still quite large at 6.4mb so you need to be sure your setup is capable of accepting it. Shouldn't be a problem.

cheers

Bob

Hi Bob

I don't yet have pm rights.

A good email address is michael (dot) obrien (at) shaw (dot) ca.

Thanks, the help is very much appreciated.

Michael

michaelo7800":sefwu3mr said:
Hi Bob

I don't yet have pm rights.

A good email address is michael (dot) obrien (at) shaw (dot) ca.

Thanks, the help is very much appreciated.

Michael

OK Michael

Will try to sort it out tonight but remember that it is a large file and make sure isn't rejected.
Can you reply to my email address when you get it to say received ok. (I'm very happy to help anyone but it can be a bit irritating when you don't get an acknowledgement - has happened to me several times including to one guy in the USA to whom I posted a DVD by recorded delivery at my expense so I know he got it - didn't want re-imbursement but he didn't even bother to say it had arrived).

Cheers

Bob

Bob - many people write out the e-mail address as Michael has to prevent it being automatically picked up by spam mailers so they don't get bombarded with unwanted mail. Perhaps you could consider editing out the version you have put up.

Just trying to help

Graham

Boatfixer":1e16wiko said:
Bob - many people write out the e-mail address as Michael has to prevent it being automatically picked up by spam mailers so they don't get bombarded with unwanted mail. Perhaps you could consider editing out the version you have put up.

Just trying to help

Graham

#-o now deleted.

Thanks for that Graham - never crossed my mind

Bob

Latest posts

Back