How to measure the router base

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anaria

Reaction score
Hi guys I asked this before but didn't get an answer. Maybe because I posted it in the incorrect forum. Anyway PLEASE can someone tell me how do I measure the router base?

I am looking to buy or make a router table but I have no idea what I am supposed to be measuring. Is it the largest diameter across the base plate? Or the distance between the two holes on the inside edge of the base plate presumably to fix to the table? or what.

I really need to get this sorted because I need a table fast.

Please, Please can anyone help.

Thanks

As above: why do you need to measure anything on the base plate of the router to be able to buy a table insert.

You will either buy a pre-drilled insert that will have many holes for all the common routers (of which your is?) or more likely buy a insert you will need to drill the holes in the correct place yourself.

Guys ... I appreciate you trying to help. I have made several attempts to buy router table online and everytime I do I see 'Suitable for routers with base up to 155mm dia.'

Now unless I am measuring mine completely wrong I make mine 177mm. However B&Q guys tells me that mine is standard router, I took it in to show him, and guess what ... asks me why I want to measure the base.

I have made far too many mistakes in the past buying tools that don't fit the purpose and all I am trying to do is get it right.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Silverline-Router ... 22f5f6dac9"

This link explains

Thanks again

If your is 177mm diameter and the table only takes up to 155mm diameter then it won't fit- doesn't take a rocket scientist to work that out.

The only way round it would to make a base that stepped down in diameter but you would be adding to it's thickness and then may need to use an extension..

That table is for a 1/4" router (says so in the auction title). That's a small router. Yours may well be a 1/2" router.

I hope you don't think this is a snide remark but IMHO buying that table will add to your list of "far too many mistakes in the past buying tools that don't fit the purpose"

Look at the Ron Fox advice before you go much further

Would not ... your insulting me. That is why I am asking if I am measuring it correctly.

I am being told that my router is standard ... therefore I would not expect it to be much larger than what everyone is saying is a standard table.

I am asking politely and admitting that I am completely new to this and all I ask is for some level of respect in return. Or would you rather see me sticking to washing pans and changing dirty nappies?

Anaria":1gl8vpz6 said:
Would not ... your insulting me. That is why I am asking if I am measuring it correctly.

I am being told that my router is standard ... therefore I would not expect it to be much larger than what everyone is saying is a standard table.

I am asking politely and admitting that I am completely new to this and all I ask is for some level of respect in return. Or would you rather see me sticking to washing pans and changing dirty nappies?

Where did that come from?? :shock:

I think you have a 1/2" route the table is for 1/4" routers -maybe two Standards????

By the way - you are better off here being insulted (not that we will) that consulting BnQ folks - we WILL help you find what you need

Henning, Jake and lurker ... thank you.

My router takes 1/4" and 1/2" so now I understand why the different size.

I used that link as an example not because I was looking at buying that particular table.

So does 177mm sound about right for a 'heavy duty' router? If so you have answered my question.

I appreciate your time to help me guys.

Thank you

I think you actuaally have a 1/2" thats capable of taking 1/4" bits.
!/2" is "better" by the way :lol:

I'm still trying to get my head round the "pans & nappies" comment??

Yes, that sounds about right for a 1/2" router.

You need to look for a bigger table (or better still, build one).

Jake ... thanks a lot. Problem solved.

Lurker .. i have spent most of my life having to deal with 'male chauvinist pigs' who think my place is in the kitchen and not in the workshop or under the bonnet of a car. It started with my father and finished with my first husband.

I apologies for the outburst but I assumed that to be the case ... sorry if it wasn't Would Not.

I assumed that with a name like Anaria it was obvious I was a female.

I see :idea:
Never gave your gender a thought.

We ain't like that here (we don't give a monkeys really) everyone welcome.

FYI there are several females here.

Stick around we are always glad to help anyone

What do you have to work with - for instance, do you have a workmate?

If so that could be the base for a router table which while crude would be better than the plastic type you linked to.

If not the cheapos are about a tenner. Then you need a bit of plywood/mdf/whatever for a top, some battens screwed and glued on the bottom for the workmate to grip on. Either buy a router plate or just fasten the router directly to the plywood. A stick of wood for a fence with a couple of cramps.

That's the most basic version to get you started anyway - saves money and will be better to use (the table surface area is an important factor in ease of use, the little plastic things are too small).

Wasn't having a pop at your gender, just making an observation that a 2" peg won't fit into a 1" hole - unless you've got a big hammer.

What are you making that you need a router table? You'll find that someone on here who lives close by maybe able to let you use there table if it's just a one off, better to save your cash and get something of better quality than buying a cheapo table that you'll struggle with and probably throw to the back of the garage in frustration

well that all got a bit exciting!!! :shock:

Also didnt really give a thought to whether it was a male or female posting

I started to reply and got sidetracked before hitting the Post icon.
1. It never occurred to me that you weren't a bloke, and it it doesn't make any difference now that I know you aren't. Last time I made anything I used only my brain and hands, no other part of my anatomy.

2. There is no such thing as a "Standard" router. Different manufacturers have different sized bases. Different shapes even, and fixing holes that differ in position. That is the problem.

However, routers do take a range of "Standard" cutters. They all have a shank diameter of a)6mm (not common in the UK), b)1/4", c)8mm, or d)1/2". Not all routers will accommodate all sizes, and even if they do, you need the right collet for the job. So even if you have a 1/2" router, you will need an 8mm collet (which will be specific to that manufacturer) to hold a cutter with an 8mm shank.

3. Few ready-made router tables are any good. I mean very few. As in I've Yet To Find One. Most of us start with a piece of MDF mounted in a workmate with a router plate in it. Axminster, Rutland and several others sell the Rousseau plate. It's cheap enough but not flat (deliberately) and plastic. I had one and wouldn't recommend it.

Tilgear sell a rather better aluminium one. It has a very slightly smaller aperture, which means I can no longer use my raised panel bit, so although I use this plate 99% of the time, I hang on to my Rousseau plate for that cutter.

If I ever replace it, I'll go for the Woodpecker, sold in the UK by Woodworkers' Workshop. More than twice the price though.

Plenty of table designs on the Net, but if you are serious about WW and have the space, build Norm's. Excellent plans, a tenner, from Brimarc.

And Welcome.
S

Jake":3c4xuywe said:
What do you have to work with - for instance, do you have a workmate?
I do have a workmate and an oak workbench but I would rather not start cutting holes in that. Sounds like your suggestion with the workmate might work, at least for the time being.

would not":3c4xuywe said:
Wasn't having a pop at your gender ... - unless you've got a big hammer

I apologise. I thought you were suggesting that I didn't know that 177mm was larger than 155mm - don't have to be a rocket scientist and all. Like I said I get a bit tired of ppl assuming that because I am a woman I should be washing pans instead of swinging a hammer. And yes, I have a sledge hammer also. Is that big enough? :roll: I am smiling by the way!

I am starting to make guitars and need the occasional use of a table to route a 10mm x 10mm channel in a block of mahogany that will eventually become the neck of the guitar. This does need to be quite accurate but I don't want to go to huge expense because that is just about all I will use it for, at least at the moment.

I would like to have a set up of my own rather than use someone else's. Think I might combine Jake's idea with the workmate and the link given early to an excellent site by ?L Harding? I think. Sorry if it wasn't!

Thanks all.

Back