A good inexpensive bandsaw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan-K

Established Member
Reaction score
Hiya, I'm new here so please be nice :p

I'm thinking of buying a new and fairly budget priced bandsaw for home use. I bought the cheapest Axminster one (AWSBS2) for £130 in 2008 and it was rather disappointing. So now I'm thinking of upgrading and the slightly more expensive Axminsters do look slightly better quality but are there better options out there?

I've had a look at the bandsaw reviews thread here which has helped a little but there are so many brands and models (and no prices mostly) that my head is spinning trying to work out which might be a good buy.

It seems the Scheppach Basato 3h gets a good report. That would be right at the top end of my budget at £400.
Record BS300E seems to be OK but stretching my budget at £400 again.
There is the Axminster AWHBS310N at £300, or I've seen the previous model at £240...
And avoid Dewalt bandsaws like the plague... :p

I'd prefer to be around the 200-250 mark but I'm wary of underspending again...I already fit the 'buy cheap, buy twice' label and I don't want it to become 'buy cheap, buy thrice'! :lol:

Please, can you give me any help? All advice gratefully received...

Edit: I've also seen a Fox F28-194 at £410...sounds a good discount, but I dont know if Fox is a good brand?

I have the dewalt 738 and absolutely no complaints cuts true and straight, in fact I have just resawed some 6" oak this evening with the starrett woodpecker blade and a very impressive cut was achieved for a 500W and supposedly inferior machine.
Could be down to how you tune up your bandsaw.

Harry

Harryc, are you implying I don't know how to set up a bandsaw?
ME?
DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?

:x :x :x :x :x :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
No, seriously. I've had the (big) Dewalt bandsaw for years now and although it's set up well (and performs well now), I had to do so much fettling that I wish I'd bought something else. I've had to replace the tension adjuster as the threads stripped all too easily, the table was far from flat and the fence may as well go straight in the bin. I've replaced almost every knob or lever.
If you can be ar$ed to tune one up then yes, they can perform really well. But for an upgrade to the OP's bandsaw I'd still suggest he steers clear.

Don't know much about bandsaws, but if you haven't already, i suggest the Workshop essentials DVD 3 for getting the most out of it.
Steve really knows his bandsaws!

I know you've said you want a new bandsaw but you could get a much better second hand bandsaw for up to 400 quid.

I've got an elektra beckum bas315 say which I got for about 130 quid second hand a few years ago. It's a vast improvement over the axminster you have (although the fence is a bit pants but you could upgrade that to kreg from axminster). These bandsaws (315/316/317) often come up on ebay and last time I looked the older ones were going for less than I paid.

If you pushed all the way to 400 quid on a second hand bandsaw you could probably get something much bigger - although you may not have the space for much bigger.

I'm afraid I can't help with new bandsaws. I've never really looked.

Dave

I've been trying to research them lately but like you say no prices :x . Pretty silly why they do this.
Could anyone list the best makes in descending order?
Dave recommends the:
Elektra Beckum bas315
Cheers Dave :wink: , researching this now, what can we look for to make sure they have not been abused when buying. Could be a bit tricky to try to cut gear when you're buying it (and to be honest I'll be embarassing myself doing this as I haven't used a bandsaw since school :oops: ) and we all know what it's like with a new tool. At least that's my excuse lol. :p

Dan,
What didn't you like about the Axminster AWSBS2? There's one up on ebay at the mo' that I am considering. Much as I'd like a larger one I just don't have the space.

I'm surprised by the OP's comments regarding the AWSBS2. I have the earlier sibling (AWSBS), and while it's not perfect, for the price it is exceptionally good value and when set-up properly gives excellent results. Possibly the OP had a friday-nighter?

I have the EB BAS315 also and it's a brilliant little machine. Highly recommend it. They come up on eBay often at reasonable prices.

Dan, As your in Staplehurst. Take a look at my signature. You'd be most welcome.

I'm afraid I have no great knowledge of how to check for abuse on the eb315. Mine just works. Like you I had no idea about what I was doing when I bought mine. I'm still never sure with second hand machines. The main thing with these older machines is that there isn' a lot which can go wrong. Once I got the machine I ordered some decent blades and started using it. Never done anything more than that to it. As mentioned, the fence is a bit rubbish, but this seems to be the case with a number of bandsaws. I have considered buying the Kreg fence from Axminster as it's relatively cheap. Don't just use ebay. I bought mine thanks to a free ad on the net.

Dave

A definite NoNo is the DW876 - no amount of adjustment or new blades would make that perform properly.

Rod

Henning":1p2xuj8y said:
Don't know much about bandsaws, but if you haven't already, i suggest the Workshop essentials DVD 3 for getting the most out of it.
Steve really knows his bandsaws!

steve does indeed know his bandsaws backwards , however to share this wealth of knowledge you need WE4 (and preferably 5) - WE3 deals with building the ultimate tablesaw tenon jig - though actually i'd advise laying out the 50 notes for the mega bundle and getting WE1-5 as they are all a good watch.

My first bandsaw was a virtually unused EB BAS315. It worked well (after getting some new blades from Duredge. I was then offered an old ex-school Startrite 352 for a very good price and couldn't resist. I reckon the 352 is brilliant and wouldn't hesitate to replace it should I ever need to.

What was even better was I sold the EB315 on Ebay for way more than I paid for it - enough to buy the 352, so the EB certainly ended up a real bargain.

Misterfish

If you are buying new ... can't claim any experience of the Basato 3 ... but I'm really impressed with the Basato 4 I took delivery of a couple of weeks ago ... expect the 3 to be of the same quality ...

Thanks for the input guys, i appreciate your comments.

As regards my current Axminster, I'm a beginner and the AWSBS2 I'd think could be classed as an entry-level machine. The quality of the some of the parts certainly seems entry-level - broke the lever that fixes the fence on the first day :oops: and a few of the other bits I have to take care with as they are similarly cheap plastic. The supplied fence is pretty useless as is, the blade tracking I just cant seem to get right (if its in the middle of the top wheel its half off the front of the bottom wheel...and it wanders back and forth across the wheel when used..scary). The guide bearings (I think thats what you call them anyhow :?: ) wont go further than just under half over the blade at full extension (I know they shouldn't cover the teeth but they dont go where the manual says they should be). The mitre guide thingy has so much play that an angled cut would be +/- about 10 degrees if used. Im sure I could find a few other things if I tried :p

The thing is, as a beginner I want something reliable, easy to set up and not too expensive. In my experience this bandsaw only fulfils the last criteria. I could probably improve my experience with this machine given extensive research, buying upgrades and fettling, but as a hobbyist I can't say I really want to spend weeks setting it up to get passable performance - I want a machine that 'just works' like a previous poster mentioned...

I know other people have got on well with the same model, so I'm prepared to accept that I'm at least partially responsible for poor results. Maybe my expectations are too high for a cheap bandsaw. But SWMBO didn't drag me away when I was looking at upgrades in Axminster, just told me that this box I promised her had better be worth it...so I guess I'm already on 'the slope'... :D

Like a few other posters I have fairly limited space, I'm not sure what to look for in a second-hand machine, and also the problem with second-hand is getting the thing home - they're usually 'pick up only'. Although a large, solid used machine would be nice its not really a practical option for me.

wizer, I was wondering about gatecrashing, but I'm not sure I know enough to actually meet with a proper woodworker - I never was good at foreign languages :p

Dan
I have the big Basato. There is a review of it somewhere in the , er, Reviews Forum. Basically pleased with its performance, its size is the biggest drawback. So generally a thumbs up.
Any BS you buy is going to be subject to
a) the blade you install on it - Dure Edge, Hamilton Edge and our own Ian John with Tuff Saws all have excellent reputations for quality, and
b) the way you set it up. Even a TOTR BS is going to give disappointing results if it is not set up correctly, and even an entry level machine can perform satisfactorily within its remit if it is.

Just buy the very best yo can afford. Push the boat out. Better still, if yo have a £400 budget, look for second hand. You'll get a far better machine.

CHeers
Steve

I've been looking for my first bandsaw. I started out looking at £200 machines like the Record 250 and the smallest Axminster. I went to my local saw shop this morning and saw the Metabo 317 and the Record BS300e. I was impressed with the record as far as build quality tho' the Metabo wasn't far behind. I'm considering uping my budget now. Who has either of these machines. There is a Record 'roadshow' coming in a couple of weeks time. I'm hoping they have a show price which makes the BS300e more affordable.

Latest posts

Back