Taming Turnings in 2010

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHJ

Established Member
Reaction score
______
________Something basic but colourful to start the year...________Click on images for larger view.
________

Wood kindly donated by richburrow, we discussed the species during a get together last autumn, we came to the conclusion that it was probably Maple, very Sycamore like in the basic figuring but considerably harder than any Sycamore I've handled before.

Hello, C.H.T. They are lovely with beautiful colours are they spalted ?HGB

hgb":xvoefyqd said:
Hello, C.H.T. They are lovely with beautiful colours are they spalted ?HGB

Yes, there is evidence of spalting, I don't know if all the colour is down to that or staining from some other source though. Might be able to tell more when I work the next one from the same slab.

Nice start to the new year Chas :D
Timber looks gorgeous.I take it that this is the other half of plank i had from Rich. :?:
When i get round to turning my half i will be using the center saver looking at those pieces.
Did you save the centers from these Chas :?:

Looks great Chas, lovely timber.

Could it be elm rather than maple, looking at the swirling grain and the burrs on the bottom ? Not really seen much elm though and suspect it is probably darker ?

Cheers, Paul :D

paulm":vgzkj07t said:
Could it be elm rather than maple, looking at the swirling grain and the burrs on the bottom ? Not really seen much elm though and suspect it is probably darker ?

Cheers, Paul :D
Elm had crossed my mind Paul in relation to its toughness, however it's not the same as English Elm I have and it has far more fine texturing (herringbone like) in the plainer portions than the Exeter Elm I've worked.

DSCN1453.JPG

Hi Chas,

That's quite a bit of wood you've got there :shock: :shock: As you say, a bit Maple-ish but with the dark colouring and some burr-ish-ness as well!! Nice looking bowl, well finished as ever. Not sure if I'd have had such a big foot but I do love the foot detail (I love a good foot on a bowl!!)

Grand job!

Richard

Thanks for the comments guys,

Richard: the foot dimensions are a trait of mine I think, I know a lot of people talk of 1/3rd in relation to foot size but for some reason I invariably end up nearer 2/3rds, especially on flattish based items. I think it's because I like to see a hint of what is giving 'the lift' to a piece when it's sat on a surface.

Paul.J":w52exd5g said:
...I take it that this is the other half of plank i had from Rich. :?:
When i get round to turning my half i will be using the center saver looking at those pieces.
Did you save the centers from these Chas :?:
Yes Paul, that's the piece, best of luck using the CS, I tried coring it by hand but it was far too tough for me to risk it.

Nice work Chas! and what a lovely bit of wood, it looks like Sycamore, but as you mentioned it being much harder, then it's probably Maple as many others have suggested. Whatever it is, it's really lovely, and worth coring if you have any more, a nest of bowls from that blank would go quite a way to paying for a coring sysytem in itself.

When I get my new setup running, I'm then going to look into geting a coring setup, I like the look of the Woodcut, but the Kelton system also looks pretty good.

What finish did you use? That close up pic really shows off your finishing, there's not a single mark on it.

Cheers

Aled

That's a nice piece of work to kick off 2010 with Chas. I really like the form and of course the finish is immaculate. I reckon you're spot on with Field Maple, I turned some just like it not so long ago.
Keep 'em coming and best regards to you, John

Aled Dafis":1sx0sfuk said:
What finish did you use? That close up pic really shows off your finishing, there's not a single mark on it.

Cellulose Sanding Sealer, then buffed with Chestnuts Buffing mops finishing with Carnauba Wax, the buffing mops are an ideal way of blending any sealer streaks that remain after basic burnishing of sealer.

Don't believe everything you see in pictures, close inspection will find the odd missed blemish on most of my pieces especially with feature wood, but I've stopped bothering about them, most people don't see them and those that do seem to accept them as par for the course on a natural hand made piece.

Having said that I would be ashamed to be associated with a good many pieces I see for sale in local 'Craft' outlets.

CHJ wrote
Yes Paul, that's the piece, best of luck using the CS, I tried coring it by hand but it was far too tough for me to risk it.
Should be a good tester for the corer than Chas :D
If you want to core what you have left than bring it over and have a play with the woodcut.

Hi Aled,

I've got the Woodcut version which is pretty silly person proof although possibly a little limited as it will only cut 2 different arcs. Here are some pics I took ages ago of me making a little Oak bowl with it:

P2060145.JPG

P2060153.JPG

P2060159.JPG

P2060161.JPG

P2070166.JPG

This was my first attempt and I hope you agree it turned out pretty well. I hope it's pretty self explanitory but if you have any questions please ask.

Chas, apologies if your post has been side tracked a little :oops: :oops:

Richard

Richard Findley":19b830f4 said:
.....Chas, apologies if your post has been side tracked a little :oops: :oops:
No problem Richard, all constructive information and this is what the forum is for.

______
________Todays little project...________Wood is Hard dried Beech________Click on images for larger view.
________

________

________Not exactly as elegant as a Munro but it looks as though it will serve the same purpose. Still got a Handle to make.

________

Back