GTL? Plane. Any ideas??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neilyweely

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just got my hands on what I think is an old plane, brass body, I think it is a number 3. On the frog it says GTL, I think, although it may be CTL. The C has a tail, so I think it is a G. The frog is brass, and I think the plane is ok. Anyone know anything about GTL?? Is it worth my saving? I do not have a number 3, so could probly use it (I use a stanley SB3 or SB4 when I need a smaller plane, and although it is not a 'purist' plane, it does perform quite well!!!).

Any help would be appreciated, so thanks in advance.

Neil

I bought one of these on ebay in my woodworking youth and ignorance. What a piece of cr*p it is junk. It was useless, nothing was workable including meaningfull blade adjustment.
I do believe on the other hand that you can polish them up nicely :lol:
However this is just my opinion
Owen

Corset

Thats the one!!!

Funny that, I just cleaned it up, all nice and shiny, it looks great but oh my God!! It IS useless! I mean it has NO use (paperweight?).

What a shame. Still, it didn't cost me a penny, and maybe if I put it in the auction it will make a fiver.

So, Corset, you were spot on mate, thanks a lot. Fortunately I got a nice old record no5 and no4 1/2. I already had a stanley 4 1/2 and the record looks a bit better, so....

Thanks for the help Corset, you don't want another one, do you? :lol: :lol:

Neil

They're quite often (dishonestly) described as having a Norris style adjuster.

e.g. (on eBay)

"plane with norris style adjuster"

BugBear

I've got one as well :sick: :lol:

Can't be bothered to clean it up, might sell it for scrap.

The adjuster is........ interesting, I was wondering about using it on a home made woody sometime.

I would suggest that you donate it a theme pub to go on the wall with all he other useless stuff they have. Alternatively give it as a gift to relative and put them off woodworking for life, thereby saving a couple of trees from destruction. :twisted:

I seem to rember a thread, a long time ago, where somebody was buying them up on Ebay and using them as the base for infill planes?

Rod

Ironballs - send me your address and you can have the whole bloody thing!!!

Harbo - If the above doesn't happen then this exactly what i thought of doing - is this gonna be hard for a ham-fisted chippy like me? It does look better than it performs!! How much were they selling for? any idea?

Lurker - maybe we could put 'em together and see if we can breed 'em! Bloody thing. I am not even sure where mine is, probly knows its life expectancy has dropped to nil!

Hhhhmmm, could be worse, at least it was a freebie. And not a windsor chair!

Neil

neilyweely - I cannot remember the exact details now, but I am pretty sure somebody posted a picture of what he had made and showed a link to Ebay where there was one for sale.
I have done a search but cannot find it? I did find other comments with some from Alf, so this topic has come up before.

Rod

If anyone does want to get ride of one I'd be interested.
Call it a fiver plus reasonable postage and packaging.
Thanks

Thanks

One sold on the bay a few days ago for £35 odd. Plus postage.
Think I'll put mine up there eventually. I still have it, and it's perfect! (well, as a GTL can be)

Neil

neilyweely":k4hn5c81 said:
Thanks

One sold on the bay a few days ago for £35 odd. Plus postage.
Think I'll put mine up there eventually. I still have it, and it's perfect! (well, as a GTL can be)

Neil

Wow - the description must have been most enticing!

BugBear

Bugbear - Yeah;

'Brass bodied smoothing plane, in excellent condition, with practically unused blade. Rosewood handles, Norris style adjuster, collectors item.'

Whaddya reckon? You wanna buy it?

You can sell anything with a bit of clever description (not that my effort was too clever) as proved again and again when I buy stuff!! :cry:

Cheers

Neil

neilyweely":287hrlc5 said:
Bugbear - Yeah;

'Brass bodied smoothing plane, in excellent condition, with practically unused blade. Rosewood handles, Norris style adjuster, collectors item.'

Rosewood handles is either a modification or a lie.

BugBear

Back