Beginners heavyduty(ish) workbench design on a budget.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the final design. I've adjusted it since to make it shallower (60cm) and it doesn't show the bracing.

15-05-09-01.gif

The legs:

17-05-09-02.jpg

An almost complete A frame
17-05-09-01.jpg

V

Excellent design Vikash. Can I pinch it as I need another bench for my new Forman ?

Koolwabbit

Personally, I'm not too fussed about the type of top on my bench. I used some pressure-treated decking I found on sale for the top base. Then I laid two sheets of 25mm MDF. All I need is level and smooth. I flip the MDF over whenever the top layer gets a bit ropey.

Looks like a sturdy little bench; you should have it finished in no time! :D The construction reminds me of my old (current) bench, which I'm looking to get rid of and replace... With all those legs, it's unlike to start rocking or shaking about, I can tell you that much! :wink:

19-05-09-01.jpg

Do they remind anyone else of space invaders?

There's a significant cost difference between MDF and plywood for the top and shelf considering I'll need 2 8x4 sheets (~£50) - so I'm still keen on going the MDF route. Would sealing everything with PVA or varnish not be sufficient?

V

Vikash":klp3mhea said:
There's a significant cost difference between MDF and plywood for the top and shelf considering I'll need 2 8x4 sheets (~£50) - so I'm still keen on going the MDF route. Would sealing everything with PVA or varnish not be sufficient?

I've posted this picture before but, in case you haven't seen it, here's my bench with an MDF top

Workbench1.jpg

I used three layers of 18mm MDF, individually lipped with softwood, then glued together. I just wax it now and then. It's lasted over 10 years and still looks as good as new - and it's remained dead flat.

Not sure what you want to use your bench for but for woodworking I think MDF is a good choice and better than plywood.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Thanks Paul, that pic was helpful. It's got me thinking about vices and dog holes now.

Any particular reason for lipping the MDF?

Vikash":3l0eyoz8 said:
Any particular reason for lipping the MDF?

Two reasons. First, it stops the edges getting damaged in use. Second, when making the top, if you lip the three pieces individually, it helps to keep them straight and flat when you come to glue it all together.

Just thought of the third reason for doing it the way I did. Three layers of MDF are very heavy. By lipping the three pieces individually before glueing the sheets together, it's easier to manhandle (or should that be personhandle these days :) ).

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Thanks for the input ike.
I've specced 2x6's for the 4 cross members - you can see how they join flush to the legs in the design above. Only problem at the moment is finding a local source that stock 2x6 in 2.4m lengths so I can get them in the car easily. Jewsons are the only ones that have them :?

I was considering affixing them with coach bolts instead of just gluing and screwing for the purpose of taking apart. But I figure that if I ever move I'll just have to get several mates round to lift it into the loading van. ;)

Just a progress pic:

IMG_4544.jpg

Ready to start on the worktop now...

V

Looks like it's coming together well. :) Look forward to seeing what you do with the top.

Hmmm, let's see now

- 8pc x 2x4's x 2.4m @ 3.47 each (Wickes)
- 4pc x 6x2's x 3.6m @ 10.15 each (Wickes)
- 2 sheets of 18mm MDF @ 14.98 each (B&Q)

So that's around £100. But then I only needed 2.4m length of 6x2's really, and you could do a fair bit cheaper at other timber/builders merchants. My local ones are just extremely unhelpful with attitude issues and/or have items in lengths too long for me to transport.

If you add the mitre saw, router and shop vac bought to facilitate this, not to mention the garage to workshop makeover, then add another 0.8 - 1k. :shock: ;)

Routed a space for bits so they don't roll off, and then varnished with 4 coats of Yacht varnish.

Finished pics:

IMG_4610.jpg

IMG_4617.jpg

V

looks brilliant!

how long has it taken so far.....(super newby question) what technique did you use to cut the wood, ie...what saw or what machinery?

That looks really good 8)

I am thinking of building a workbench as mine is currently an 8 x 4 sheet of MDF across a couple of saw horses LOL.with a constinually changing bow or hump ! .So workbench is on the list of jobs to do !

Haha yes, good point. I'm on the look out for a cheap second hand vice and still sussing out how and where to mount it.

Matt, it's done mostly on the mitre saw. And the router to sort out the aesthetics a bit.

Back