Which L-N Plane?????

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ike":14a07kug said:
while LV use ductile iron and high quality plastics.

Where on their planes? I haven't found any on mine.
Sometimes the smooth finish on some aluminium parts can be confused with plastic.
whistling.gif
DAMHIKT, and not one word from you Rob or...
annoyed.gif
biggrin.gif

Cheers, Alf

Hi -

Not a word about plastics, of course.... but a few about aluminum...

We do use several different materials, choosing the one best suited for the stresses, machining, surface finish, etc...

For example - on the wood handled spokeshaves, the cap irons are actually cast steel (not ductile iron)...we needed a thin, detailed casting there...

Lever caps are usually a Zinc-Aluminum Alloy (very strong) and can vary depending on the use... typical alloys are ZA-3, and ZA-12... ZA-12 being the one we use most (and, I believe, a Canadian innovation)....we use this for our Tucker Vise jaws, which sport a lifetime warranty (we've never seen a failure)....

PL**TICS are really not used that often by us.... for a number of reasons. Firstly - the hand tool market is a traditional one, and PL**TICS just don't go over well...even if they are a better choice of material for a given application. Second - the tooling is much more expensive... and in this market, it's difficult to write the tooling down at a reasonable rate. Third - we can't easily modify PL**TIC parts.... with metals - we can always machine, drill, tap etc. quite easily....

So there you have it - a mini materials overview....

Cheers -

Rob

So there you have it - a mini materials overview....

Rob... my apologies... I stand corrected...

Somehow I got the impression that the shoulder plane rear grips, and bench plane lever caps were ummm... non metallic..??... don't ask where I got the idea from...

Midnight":2vatjvrd said:
Somehow I got the impression that the shoulder plane rear grips, and bench plane lever caps were ummm... non metallic..??... don't ask where I got the idea from...

...ah - no worries....some of the black paint we use does have a polyester base... that can give you the impression..!

Cheers -

Rob

Back