Turning Time in 2009

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHJ

Established Member
Reaction score

_________ ___

____________Spalted Beech(171mm)_________Spalted Beech (158mm)

_________
_________ ___

____________Spalted Beech(161mm)_________Spalted Beech(164mm)

Very nice indeed not a bad days work there :) . I especially like the third bowl, the way you've got the pattern of the spalting radiating out from a point around the sides of the bowl is very effecive.

JT

Jenx":1uj1ai8j said:
Made as a 'set' to remain together ?
Not exactly Jenx, the start of a long line of similar on order.

johnny.t.":1uj1ai8j said:
.... I especially like the third bowl, the way you've got the pattern of the spalting radiating out from a point around the sides of the bowl
Something that I've been aiming at for two reasons JT,
1. to get that effect if possible.
2. to maximize the log wood.

So far have got away with most rough green blanks, just a couple out of 20 or so that are showing splits from the core wood.

Glad to see you back in the spin of things Chas :D
Lovely looking pieces.The Beech is beautiful.
Are those from the same batch that you brought to the bash :?:

Paul.J":1r5imhtt said:
...Are those from the same batch that you brought to the bash :?:

Yes Paul, excepting they are from some branch lengths that I did not have time to 'blank up' and were just left outside.
I noted that the spalting was getting too much of a hold and hurriedly rough turned them in November.

PowerTool":2gcvfpvb said:
...... great to see you back in production ...

It never actually stopped Andrew :) some was not for public consumption and just a few bits that were, were much of a muchness and just found their way into the Gallery, a fair bit of metal turning work interupted the wood flow for a while in December.

_________ ___

____________Spalted Beech(149mm)_________Spalted Beech (154mm)

_________
_________ ___

____________Spalted Beech(150mm)_________Spalted Beech(146mm)

_________
_________ ___

____________Spalted Beech(144mm)_________Spalted Beech(150mm)

Hiya Chas. are you proving a point or something, they are the bees knees of spalting and turning that in my short time I have seen.
Jeez you must check the spalting process every hour to get it at such a perfect time, it seems to me that if you left that timber for another 10 mins. it's beauty would not be the same. the real artist is showing. REgards Boysie.

Pure serendipity in this instance Eugene, three 1mtr lengths of branch material that I did not have time or energy to convert at the time of collection, just got dumped at the rear of my greenhouse on a large mound of lawn moss, noted one day that there was a rainbow selection of differing fungi that on investigation indicated that it looked just on borderline salvageable, so followed a couple of days bandsawing and frantic rough turning to halt its progress.

Very very nice Chas :D
I like the big brown patch on the last piece,but all the spalting is beautiful.
Can't wait to see the bigger pieces :D

_________ ___

____________Spalted Beech(135mm)_________Spalted Beech (148mm)

_________
_________ ___

____________Spalted Beech(158mm)_________Spalted Beech(168mm)

Paul.J":1ca96v3c said:
Are they for a any particular use or just stock you are going through :?:
All part of an ongoing commission Paul, just taking the opportunity to get a few weeks ahead, and make some more drying room.

More nice pieces,Chas - although all quite similar,the variety of shapes and the excellent figuring make them all individual :D

Andrew

_________ ___

____________Spalted Beech(160mm)_________Spalted Beech (170mm)

Chas - I've noticed that a lot of these bowls still have the pith in. Was the wood dry when turned so you're not worried about movement and cracking, or was it wet and there's still a possibility of movement and cracking?

Duncan

Back