Address book

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine (has virus Protection on his PC) has sent me mail via O/Express and when I use the reply button to make a reply to his mail the mail is returned by the Mail Administrator as not delivered etc.

The reason for not delivery is that my friends email address is somehow being corrupted a letter is omitted from his mail address the letter "i" is not being input to the send address.

I have removed his mail address from my address book, but when asking for the re-entry the address is corrupted again.( less the i).

If I go back to August and ask the sender address to be put in (the address book) the correct mail destination is entered.

No other entries in my address book are corrupted, so can I assume that this gentleman has the virus, or is it me.
I use an upto date virus scanner with daily updates.

Help or advice much appreciated.

Are you sure it's a virus?

Sounds to me more like he's changed the "from" address for some reason.

Have a careful look at his mail header to see what that contains. Don't forget you can specify the reply-to address to be different to the sender's address.

HTH

Pete

devonwoody":2y5c6q6w said:
A friend of mine (has virus Protection on his PC) has sent me mail via O/Express and when I use the reply button to make a reply to his mail the mail is returned by the Mail Administrator as not delivered etc.

Sounds like at one time or another, the "reply to" address, which he set in his email preferences on his email program on his PC, was incorrect, or wrongly entered.

A few other possibilities.... at some point, you might have added that incorrect address to your "contacts". Have you tried typing his address in directly to the "To:" field - and if so - does it send correctly? Are you absolutely sure you have the correct address? A quick phone call might sort it out! Alternatively, perhaps you have two/three/four.... entires for him in your "contacts" folder - have you tried going through and deleting them all - and manually adding it again from scratch?

Does hitting reply to his emails work? How about an email he sent 6 months ago?

All I can think of at the moment.

Adam

I'd agree with all the above.

Quite possibly your friend reformatted his drive, re-input his email details and got the reply address wrong. When you hit the 'Reply' button it uses the address he has input and if that is wrong, the mail will bounce back.

As advised, hit the reply button and check the address it gives. If it doesn't give the address right click on the name and look at properties.
Suggest sending your friend an email and asking him to check his settings in email accounts.

You were all correct with your diagnosis.

My correspondent after 7 days of looking found he has made a typo on the accounts page of his O/E (he had put in btnternet and missed out the "i")

He was continually blaming me for a scripting error on my PC.

Back