Staining Cherry

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnboy

Established Member
Reaction score
hi, first post here so be gentle with me!!

I am making a Lazy Susan in cheery to go on a Cherry dining table. The finish on the table is very dark and nothing like natural cherry. Most cherry furniture I have seen is stained this dark reddish colour. Any suggestions for what stain to use to match this.

Thanks

John

Cherry raises more Q&A than any other wood. You will find dozens of recipes and articles on the net.

A site I think is pretty good for finishing is http://www.homesteadfinishing.com/

and the associated forum site http://www.homesteadfinishing.com/phpBB2/index.php

The site owner, Jeff Jewitt is one of the foremost finishing experts and is very ready to enter into questions posted in his forum.

However, do a search on the foruim archives first, as I said cherry has been done to death.

Thanks for that, interesting site. The consensus seems to be that you have to mix your own stain with most suggestions being based on red mahogany. I have various stains left over from other projects so will start experimenting.

John

I find it really sad that many finishers totally destroy the natural beauty of cherry by staining it a deep red mahogany colour. Yugh!

I work with cherry a lot and use the natural colour as well as its own darkening over time to give a wonderful colour that bears no relationship whatsoever to mahogany. If you want mahogany then use it (or sapele); don't ruin a beautiful wood!

Norm at the NYW is one of the worst offenders....

<flame off>

Some of us have long since exhausted our "For the love of Mike, don't stain cherry!|" quota, so we shut up now and just sigh heavily... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Blimey, my first post has reappeared!! The lazy susan was for my sister who wanted it to match her dining table. I would never stain cherry for my own use, I love the natural colour and the way it darkens over time. I ended up using liberon georgian mahgany stain with some yellow stain added. It turned out a pretty good match.

John

Back