SAFETY

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waka

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
All

While merrily cutting angles on my mikita LS1013 yesterday there a load bang and something shot across the work shop. First reaction was " #########"

After I jumped out of the way and the saw had stopped, I realised that the sub fence had broken, it had been hit by the blade. Now irrespective of what angle you are doing the blade passes by this sub fence by about 3/8 ".

I can only surmise that the fence broke while the saw was in motion. What puzzles me is that I have been using this saw for the last 7 years and never had any problems with it at all, it's probably the most used saw in my collection.

After discussing this with my nieghbour I decided not to replace the sub fence from Mikita, but to have one made out of steel. Nieghbour does metelwork and I do woodwork, so a handy combination there.

All I can suggest to Mikita owners is frequently check the sub fence for signs of fracture. I was lucky because it missed me amd the only real damage is to the saw blade.

Mikita-Sub-Fence.bmp

Waka

Waka...

can I suggest you contact the manufacturer about this.. a design failure like that is something they need to be made aware of..

Back