Interesting pieces of furniture

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, here we have the 20th in the series of interesting pieces of furniture for your consideration which was sent to me by one of our members a while back.

The member said:

I am quite a fan of several pieces made by our Philly and also I like a lot of James Krenov's work, so naturally Philly's Krenovian cabinet sits high up in my list of all time favourite pieces of furniture.
I love the book matching on the drawer fronts and the the doors, and the proportions just seem so right. Having seen this in the 'flesh', I was impressed with the level of finish and the detailing as well as Philly's honesty pointing out little 'defects' and the slight inconsistencies as a a result of using hands such as the slightly uneven chambers round the top.
An outstanding piece of furniture that I wish I had the skill to make.

2005_0531krenovhandles0005.jpg

2005_0531krenovhandles0007.jpg

The website detailing the build is to be found here

All are welcome to comment on the pieces and please pm me with links to any photos that you would like featured here and a few lines explaining why

The original thread and discussion may be found here

OK, here we have the 21st in the series of interesting pieces of furniture for your consideration which was sent to me by one of our members a while back.

The member said:

The Pondlife Bench is a "love it or hate it" piece of garden furniture by Philip Koomen whose workshop is in the village of Checkendon in South Oxfordshire a few miles from my home.

The original "Pondlife" bench was produced in 1998. It has been described by The Independent as "organic and wildly eccentric" and by Channel 4 as "absolutely beautiful". The Pondlife bench began as a one-off experimental flight of fancy, exploring the relationship between furniture and sculpture. The design aims to create an object that transcends its functional purpose, engaging the user and observer in an unusual aesthetic and tactile experience.

Since 2001, Philip Koomen has been developing the concept as a semi-bespoke range that can be made to order. Following his philosophy of producing sustainable furniture designs he researched the feasibility of using locally sourced timber from Oxfordshire woodlands. He is now able to produce the new range using sweet chestnut thinnings from one of the University of Oxford's managed woodlands. The seats are made from English cedar of Lebanon.

I've had the pleasure of a tour of the facilities and a sit on a similar bench. It's surprising comfortable.

pondlife%20at%2080%25.JPG

The website showing more of Mr Koomen's work is here
http://www.koomen.demon.co.uk/

All are welcome to comment on the pieces and please pm me with links to any photos that you would like featured here and a few lines explaining why

The original thread and discussion may be found here

I can't see 20th images which You have posted here. Can you show it again? I am really curious to see it.

Post Edited by Moderator:

3 years ago - people tend to dump their stashes eventually, so photos disappear as they are not kept on the forum server.
Coincidence though - only the other day I was wondering about that weird creepy little table with the bandy legs and short skirt (haven't been able to get it out of my head :shock: ). Can anybody point me to it on the net?

Jacob":3e52kqi8 said:
.....Coincidence though - only the other day I was wondering about that weird creepy little table with the bandy legs and short skirt (haven't been able to get it out of my head :shock: ). Can anybody point me to it on the net?

Can you find it on the original makers site?

CHJ":2iksxe8d said:
Jacob":2iksxe8d said:
.....Coincidence though - only the other day I was wondering about that weird creepy little table with the bandy legs and short skirt (haven't been able to get it out of my head :shock: ). Can anybody point me to it on the net?

Can you find it on the original makers site?

Was it Koomen? I couldn't find it on his site.

No it was another item/maker, but thanks anyway.

I have been to some jumblesales and managed to purchase a really nice armchair for a bargain.

Unfortunately I don't have a camera here at the moment, otherwise I would post some pics. But as soon as get ti I will take some pictures and upload them here. Really nice piece, though it needs to be upholstered, of course. but as soon as it is repaired I am sure it will look gorgeous in my flat which I have been re-decorating a lot. The new wall art I bought makes for a real eye-catcher especially :)

Back