Screws for baseplate for Triton router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael7

Established Member
Reaction score
I've nearly finished making a router table and since I've started I've been on the lookout for the right screws to attach the router to the baseplate and have had no success at all. The only screws I've found with the right thread are 8mm in diameter. I did a search on google and this forum but I can't find anywhere that sells spares for the Triton router.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks Simon

Martin

The Router came with two longer screws that can reach to the threads. When the nylon base is taken off the router bottom is'nt level, although I could route out the baseplate to make it level. I'll check tomorrow but I don't think it will make much of a difference, the shorter screws might not have much of a catch on the base of the router

Best if you PM Argee.

If you reckon the screws are about 8mm, they will be an imperial equivalent which would be 5/16" Whit, UNF or UNC

I have the Triton in my table but had the screws come with the plate, I will have a look tomorrow although I have no way of measuring them.

Eric":2pm77i7j said:
I've nearly finished making a router table and since I've started I've been on the lookout for the right screws to attach the router to the baseplate and have had no success at all. The only screws I've found with the right thread are 8mm in diameter. I did a search on google and this forum but I can't find anywhere that sells spares for the Triton router.

Any help much appreciated.

A quick forum search using 'triton and screw' turned this up:

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... 8007#98007

Should be what you need.

Cheers

Tim

I've got a limited supply of 1/4" UNC machine screws in stainless steel. The choice is between countersunk Allen-keyed, countersunk Philips or pan-head Philips. If you struggle with PTS at East Grinstead, let me know.

Ray.

cumbrian":3sq96k4j said:
I got some suitable screws from a2a4 by post - no hassle. It seems to be a common problem amongst Triton buyers, and the screws aren't the sort of thing you find in the sheds or your corner shop. Pity Triton don't make the extra effort to supply a few in useful lengths with the router......
Yes, you would have thought that Triton would include some screws with the router seeing as it's made primarily for table use :lol: c'mon Triton get it together :D

Thanks for all the help

I managed to use the screws that came with the router by taking a bit off the baseplate to make it level with the bottom of the router and with countersinking the holes for the screws the threads had a good catch (I had to drill into the baseplate about 4mm to get the screws flush which leaves 6mm for the screws to hold)

I phoned up PTS and ordered some screws anyway, handy to have. :)

Thats my router table nearly up and running, the two children are looking loft beds, swimbo wants built in wardrobes, TV unit, bathroom cabinet, t&g ceiling in the bathroom, etc... :shock: :? :?

Better late than never but try Trend, they do a universal base and it comes with a multitude of screws, they are various sizes and legths.
I have one i use on a small router and when i built my table, used screws from this set and it worked like a charm about 5/8 inch long.

Give them a call, they were very helpfull.

Jock

Martingchapman":1gd0wnmn said:
Eric,
Try these people, they claim to stock Triton spares.
http://www.triton-uk.com/
Obviously, I'm a little biaised, but please consider the following:

The screws that hold the baseplate onto the router base are available as a Triton spare part, but they are only long enough to hold the baseplate, as that is all they are designed to do. No other screws are supplied to fit into these holes on the TRA/B001, although a pair of longer screws is provided to attached the side-hung dust hood supplied with the MOF001 kit. Therefore, other additional screws are not Triton spares.

motownmartin":1gd0wnmn said:
cumbrian":1gd0wnmn said:
I got some suitable screws from a2a4 by post - no hassle. It seems to be a common problem amongst Triton buyers, and the screws aren't the sort of thing you find in the sheds or your corner shop. Pity Triton don't make the extra effort to supply a few in useful lengths with the router......
Yes, you would have thought that Triton would include some screws with the router seeing as it's made primarily for table use :lol: c'mon Triton get it together :D

The Triton routers are indeed designed for use in a table - the Triton router table - into which they fit without using any screws or tools at all, via two keyhole slots. The fitting of these routers into other tables or inserts is, therefore, a compromise. Triton do not supply screws to fit their routers in any other way than that for which it was designed.

The fact that the routers are highly thought of as table machines means that many more people bump into this "problem," but I'm not sure it's realistic to think that they should be supplied with "compromise parts" in the form of screws. Triton do supply all sorts of adapters and clamps to fit most other routers under their own table, but fitting their own router under someone else's table, flap, or whatever, is - I believe - down to the designer/user of said table, etc. as it would be with any other make.

It should be simple, by now, to find that the required thread is 1/4" UNC, whereas the length required depends on a number of factors, including whether you intend to leave the baseplate on, or take it off, whether you're using pan-head or countersunk, the thickness of the insert (metal or phenolic), or other thickness of material used for the table. I've known some to fit a router directly to a >19mm thick top, then use a collet extension. Supplying screws to overcome all these variables is just not practical.

I bought 36 screws recently in case any members or other users had any difficulties getting them. They were all stainless steel 1/4" UNC in an assortment of pan head, Allen-keyed countersunk and Philips countersunk. These 36 screws (each 3/4" long) cost me a hair over £20. Accepting that a thicker table means a longer screw, even with the opportunity to use economy of scale and bulk buy still means, IMO, that there is no way that everyone could be satisfied by the provision of extra screws in this manner.

I did say I was biaised, but I'll add that when I bought my first Triton, it replaced a big Ryobi that hung underneath a Rousseau insert via two screws. I drilled the four holes for the Triton (none matching the previous two, of course!), then went searching for suitable mounting screws. I managed to find some in a timberyard, as the galvanised screws for a particular guttering system fitted. Later on, I realised that I needed something without a slot head, so I researched other suppliers and found one 12 miles away (PTS). I did not for a moment then consider that Triton should have included a selection of screws for me, because I chose and designed the fitment.

Please excuse the somewhat brief reply! :)

Ray.

The accessories that you get with the Triton are very good, the best I had seen at the time of buying.

At the minute the router is held under the table by two of the small screws that hold the nylon base and two other screws which are about 1/2 inch longer which should do until I get the screws from PTS.

Ray said

"The fact that the routers are highly thought of as table machines means that many more people bump into this "problem," but I'm not sure it's realistic to think that they should be supplied with "compromise parts" in the form of screws. Triton do supply all sorts of adapters and clamps to fit most other routers under their own table, but fitting their own router under someone else's table, flap, or whatever, is - I believe - down to the designer/user of said table, etc. as it would be with any other make."

The screws are a bit hard to find but I would agree with you in what you said. Triton already have a good selection of accessories which come as standard (i think) and if someone is to make a router table rather than buy one they should expect some problems along the way.

Hello,
Please is there someone to send me some of this screws ( I will pay you with paypal )? I have try 6mm screws but they doesn't fit.
My router is a MOF-001 and the insert is a woodpeckers ( aluminium ).
I am in france.

Tky.

labuzz":2p6jh9fo said:
Hello,
Please is there someone to send me some of this screws ( I will pay you with paypal )? I have try 6mm screws but they doesn't fit.
My router is a MOF-001 and the insert is a woodpeckers ( aluminium ).
I am in france.

Tky.
Send me your mailing address by PM. Tell me if you want Posidrive (+) or Allen key heads and I'll see what I've got left.

Ray.

Why not just use the Quick release screws that the triton has on it. I replaced mine with a set of M6 bolts that were slightly shorter to alow it to tighten. Then I just countersunk them into my base plate:

DSC00088.jpg

Back