Cutting very small pieces on table saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good day

So, if you like to know what I'm doing lately....Planters for my wife's trees...not exactly fine woodworking, the woods came directly from the sawmill and just belt sanded with #40 and, because I know my wife, I made them on wheels (they are very heavy, I called two neighbors to help me to put the trees inside the boxes.

Dsc00001.jpg

Dsc00002.jpg

Dsc00004.jpg

Today, I made new sticks and instead of cutting them diagonally, I routed a rabbet. That gives me bigger area to hold down the piece.

01.jpg

02.jpg

And, shallow angle so I don't have to stretch my hand so much

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

Is that small enough...

07.jpg

Now, about the UFO's, I cut many (24, I think) pieces and just left them to do whatever they want and...no, no UFO's... but, I noticed something interesting.
When the blade turns, it creates kind of air-shield around the blade and the pieces are pushed out of the blade and 2 of them even kind of "glided" gently (the 2 separate pieces).

Maybe it's because I enclosed the blade with the sled on side and the panel on the other side (kind of zero clearance). Maybe if I would not have the "zero clearance", the blade rotation in a more open opening would create "Vacuum" into the opening and added with the dust collector vacuum, it would pulls the pieces toward the blade...how knows...anyway, I could not get them "fly"...

08.jpg

niki

Niki":2y8y3snl said:
The deflector looks to me as a very good idea although, I don't understand how it works...
Niki,

The deflector would be set up on the table to stop the cut off's moving across the blade, catching on the rising teeth and being thrown back at you.

Someone sent in a tip to FW re cutting lots of small parts. A vac deflector.

Rig up a vac pipe to carry small parts away. I used 50mm pvc waste for this, and it works a treat; but you have to be careful to properly fix the waste pipe, you don't want a face full of pcv. Oh and empty the vac bin before you start....

Devonwoody
Right now I'm using the 40 teeth blade...as you could see, I was ripping a lot of pine for the planters.

DaveL
Thank you so much. I new that it's a good idea
Somehow, non of the small pieces past the centre of the blade but, to be on the safe side, it's good to have it.

Ivan
You are correct...In other forum, somebody replied that he is using vac hose to vacuum the small parts

Regards
niki

Latest posts

Back