Powerline Bandsaw Spares Locator

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Learner Les

Established Member
Reaction score
Help please :?
I have been given a small bandsaw (4 inch max height of cut ?). It's label sayes that it is a Powerline, model BK 1. The motor runs but the drive belt is missing. Anyone know anything about these machines and where can I get a drive belt ?

Hi Les

Sorry, never heard of this particular bandsaw but Charwood used to sell a 4" bandsaw I think. Might be worth contacting them

Bets of luck

Cheers

TOny make a

Does it look like this?

I just got one this weekend (£15) :D

Haven't got around to posting about it yet - but will later on....

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

If so, I'd be A) interested in knowing the answer, as I'd like to get one spare also, and B) could possibly attempt measuring mine if you are really stuck.

Adam

Burgess used to do the BK3 - maybe this is part of the same model range? have you looked in the Axminster catalogue? they list common applications of their bandsaw blades

jim

Edit - Adam that's exactly like the BK3 - i think they're 56 1/2 inch blades

2nd Edit... repeat after me thicky jim - drivebelt not bandsaw blade, drivebelt not bandsaw blade.... very thick today folks

Thanks Adam,

Yep looks just like yours except older. It's pre Burgess I think, just Powerline. It seems that I am also missing the driving gear on the blade wheel so any ideas from anyone on availability of spares would be gratetfully received.

Ah, I wondered if it was Burgess. I think Record bought them up didn't they? This query comes up every so often in the mags, so I hit the GWW index... Hmm, not as recently as I thought... #63 (Nov 97) is the latest mention it seems, and the advice is to contact Record Power for spares. Prior to that in issue #60 the advice was to contact "Martello Plant" on 01323 461863. But bear in mind this is a few years ago now. :shock:

Then I bethought me to look on the Record Power forum, and behold:
HI looking for info in respect of spare parts for my newly aquired (second hand) BK3 MK2 I require (A) power/on off switch (B) side cover clips/fittings
Any Ideas/Contacts Guys& Gals would be appreciated.
Thanks
yogi

BK3 parts&etc
Please contact the company listed below who supply BK3 parts by mail order.

Little Sheffield Ltd
tel-01254 57282

Thanks
Record
The power of the 'net eh? It's a place to start anyway.

Adam, I'd say it's a gloat, if I hadn't just read Mark Corke's opinion of them from GWW #60... :(

Cheers, Alf

blurk99":1mp47dfl said:
Edit - Adam that's exactly like the BK3 - i think they're 56 1/2 inch blades

:shock: :D

Yeah, I've already ordered some new ones - dure-edge 56 1/2 is exactly what the bloke on the phone told me they'd be.

Learner Les":1mp47dfl said:
Yep looks just like yours except older. It's pre Burgess I think, just Powerline. It seems that I am also missing the driving gear on the blade wheel so any ideas from anyone on availability of spares would be gratetfully received.

I'd been meaning to have a surf around for spare all day, but had forgotten. I don't know of any dealers offhand, but can't believe the belt isn't obtainable, although you might have to lash together a drive pulley for it, by drilling something to size?

Adam

I was going to say I'd posted the same question on the Record forum here:

http://www.recordpower.co.uk/tisql/topi ... &nodes=213

But having re-read ALF's post, I can see it definately is Record - so best bet to give them a ring.

As for it being a bit dodgy? Well, anything with plastic wheels is never going to be fantastic, but for me, it'll tide me over until I have a workshop with sufficient size to warrant a large bandsaw, I won't be cutting anything precision, and they are still in use in schools throughout the country (my school certainly had one, and google search threw up a few educational suppliers which had bandsaw blades for them) which is a testiment to their longevity.

Also, despite the balde being almost rusted through, I managed to get this cut before it snapped! [note I tested it for electrical safety, rubbed down the pitting on the table on the new £2 surface plate - and tried some lubricating wax - it made a major improvement.]

medium.jpg

Adam

Adam,

I do belive that is a double gloat :shock:

Glad the back is holding up, take it steady moving the machines about, you don't want to go backwards :?

#3 then.... :D having the P/T delivered tomorrow, along with the Radial Arm drill, and accessory kit for the Tormek - had to wait until the store owners son finished his exams - as I'm still ununable to "help" - although I'm on the mend - and have been lifting beehives, so thats a good sign.

Adam

Thanks everyone for the advice. I will contact Record ASAP.
It is not obvious to me how the drive gear should fit to the blade pully. It appears that the pully is held by a circlip and there is no room for a gear. Further investigation is required and then I will try to make a replacement gear. Like Adam I accept the limitations of these machines but it will do until I can save the pennies for a bigger bandsaw and hey, it was free :D
Thanks again,
Les.

I would post some pics but don't know how :oops: [/img]

Learner Les":1w886gmw said:
It is not obvious to me how the drive gear should fit to the blade pully. It appears that the pully is held by a circlip and there is no room for a gear. Further investigation is required and then I will try to make a replacement gear.

I'll try and take a better photo - if I haven't managed it in a couple of days, send me a PM and I'll remember. I'm busy for the next couple of nights.

Learner Les":1w886gmw said:
I would post some pics but don't know how :oops:

Try this link (below), if the worst comes to the worst, PM me, I'll send you my email address, and then you can email me the images, I'll then send you the links to add to a photo.

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1991

Here's the reply from Record of their discussion forums.....

RecordPower":38qsyzu6 said:
The belts and pulley for the BK2 bandsaw are still available and can be purchased from the retail company detailed below who carry spares.

Little Sheffield Ltd (mail order)
tel-0125457282

Thanks
Record.

Hope that helps.

Adam

Just spoken to Record (0870-770-1777) who faxed me a parts list. The good news is they have the drive belts in stock (£5.95 + vat + £3 p & p) but the drive gear is moulded as part of the blade wheel and are no longer available. I will have to make something. Any ideas of what to use or any reliable suppliers of suitable plastic gears ?

Learner Les":yjntoblk said:
Just spoken to Record (0870-770-1777) who faxed me a parts list. The good news is they have the drive belts in stock (£5.95 + vat + £3 p & p) but the drive gear is moulded as part of the blade wheel and are no longer available. I will have to make something. Any ideas of what to use or any reliable suppliers of suitable plastic gears ?

Ahh see I ordered my belts today from "Little Sheffield Ltd" and they said that Record were discontinuing their support of the Burgess BK1, BK2 and BK3, so the lady at Little Shieffied has offered to buy all their remaining stock, and Record are just pricing it up. She said she'd put the price of the drive-gear in (to my order) after speaking to Record today, for finalisation of the price of all the outstanding spares So you may have some luck still, if you contact them.

Should they not be able to source them, I used some very very similar gears from RS for a mini-radar once, and I should be able to get a photo and measure the pitch of the notches on the belt for you.

Adam

Learner Les":1hmxux61 said:
Record have nil stock of the drive gears and no source so its a measure and hope to buy or make !

Ahh, the women at Little Sheffield didn't make it exactly clear if the gears were stock items, or items expected from Record, I got the impression that all the parts at Record have been boxed up, ready to deliver to them, so that all Record Inventorys are marked up as zero now. (i.e. that doesn't mean to say the Little Sheffild don't already have them, or will actually get some.)

Adam

On closer inspection it appears that the drive belt must go around the blade pully (underneath the blade ? :shock: ) as the motor mounted drive gear is on the same plane as the blade pully and not in line with a potentially missing drive gear mounted on the centre of the blade pully.(as in Adams pic)
This probally makes no sense but the pics might help.
f7da8e08.jpg

f7da8e04.jpg

Anyone any ideas pleeeeeeeeeese.

large.jpg

Is the best shot I have available (I'm at work). I've written myself a note to take some better pictures tonight - I'll post either late tonight, or early tomorrow if that helps.

Adam

Although not obvious, the bandsaw can run at two speeds, the configuration I have is high speed or you can get a lower speed. In either case, the pulley belts that arrived this morning that I ordered - have the following details:

"Fenner Timing Belt" - "Made in England" "190XL" "037" and "4 341DS" (on the long belt for low speed use)

and....

"Fenner Timing Belt" - "120XL037" and "7 272DS" (on the short belt for high speed use)

I found this link on them

http://www.fennerprecision.com/trapezbelts.phtml#2

So it would appear they are an "off-the-shelf" item, I'll take some photos, and measurements tonight for you (maybe tomorrow latest!

Thanks Adam, your pic is clear enough. What has confused me is that my motor drive gear does not stick out far enough to align with a drive gear on the outside of the big pully !

Latest posts

Back