Trying to help a disabled person to scrollsaw.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkinob

Established Member
Reaction score
Our small scrollsaw group has been asked if we can guide (help) a disabled person to scrollsaw. Would anyone have any ideas that can help a person with the use of only one arm to use a scrollsaw?

Any thoughts, suggestions, would be welcome.

Thank you,
Bob

Bob,

The only thing that I can think of is to leave the hold-own in place (as I believe most scroll saw users discard this fairly early on in their scrolling career).

Other than that I can't really be of much assistance. I am sure other, more experienced, scrollers will be along soon to offer their advice.

Regards

Gary

The designer of Diamond saws, Doug Woodward, has adapted his saws in the past to meet the needs of blind scrollers. He might be able to offer some practical assistance if you contact him.

I should imagine the trickiest part of the operation for one armed scrollers would be holding the blade while adjusting the blade holding clamps. Perhaps a square block fitted with some sort of cam which would hold the blade on the table while the scroller adjusts the blade clamp might be useful.

Gill

Hi Bob,
You didn't say whether this person will have some assistance or not ?
If assistance is available then blade changing isn't an issue.
If the idea is that this person learns to use a scroll saw totally independently then the main issue is the type/brand of saw used as blade changing must be done one-handed.

Another important question is about this persons good arm....is it the right or left ?

Please get back with answers to these questions as it will help myself and others here to offer what advice we can.

Alan

Thank you all for your responses, I'll try to get the person concerned to log onto this site and let you know how he feels.
BUT please continue should there be more suggestions/help.

Thanks again.
Bob H.

The usual technique for cutting a curved line is press down with the finger of one hand and use that as a pivot while turning the piece with the other hand. That technique would have to be adjusted to suit someone with one hand.

I am wondering if spiral blades would thus make it easier since you do not have to turn the piece into the blade in quite the same way? Instead you can move the wood in any direction with the one hand? Someone more experienced with spiral blades might be able to try it out and see if this is viable?

Chris

Latest posts

Back