LN #7 versus #7 1/2

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A riposte, from myself; I sorta mirror Midnight Mike's comments as far as ease of getting an LN, and guarantee of usability - I've also followed his newbie path, and made the same mistakes.

I do, however, also appreciate the galoot path, and indeed have a vintage 4 & arf that I picked up from a car boot sale for next to nothing, and that works like a dream. I also have a Ray Iles 5 & arf, with thicker iron. This doesn't work as well as the 4 & arf, and I have no way of telling how 'vintage' it actually was before it passed through Ray's hands - the tote & knob were replacements, and the sole/sides had been flattened, so not a lot of pointers.

My problem with the galoot path is simply getting hold of the old tools - around me, I keep going to car boot sales trying to pick up decent old stuff. The biggest boot sale in the area has a regular tool stall, but this guy is a cowboy! He has ticket prices of 20 quid plus on lumps of rusted no-name #4s, with cracked totes, knackered mouths, and deeply pitted just about everything! The only time I ever found a stall at a car boot sale that had decent tools on it, I bought the 4 & arf.

So, much as I'd like to follow the galoot path (any tips welcome!), it's just not practical for me, where I live (and the way I live, for that matter - 2 young kids don't lend themselves to traipsing around boot-sales all weekend!)

My riposte, anyway :)

Esp,

Ebay is notorious as a seller's paradise but if you check it regularly, you can be lucky. I have no idea why it happens - perhaps it's holidays or football - but sometimes you can find a real bargain. I have got a super Stanley 5 1/2 this way, also a Millers Falls #9 . I think they were both less than £20 each but they were in good condition and make great users.

Of the Old Tool stores I have visited, I think Penny Farthing tools in Salisbury has the best prices for common stuff.

My take on boot fairs is that I have as much chance of finding something I want as I have of winning the lottery.

Most of my best buys and tools have come from classified ads in the local paper, if that helps. It does depend on the locality though. PFT is pretty good for reasonable prices, or my occasional for sale lists of course... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

I ususally buy tools at estate sales. I go early and inspect the tools and leave if they are not worthwhile. Often I find the estate of a craftsman who knew how to use and care for tools.
About a year ago I got these tools at an auction.
I wound up keeping the #40, #50, #78, #4 1/2, #5 1/2 & #7 Stanleys, the Sargent VBM 424 (#8 size and a joy of a plane!), the try plane and selling the rest. The whole lot cost less than an LN #7 and I realized a net profit after selling the items I didn't want. Notice that all of these planes are fine users and didn't even need cleaning. The #78 is unused and still has the decal on the handle and the factory grind on the blade.
How could anything be better than a nicely equipped shop full of planes for free? :lol:

Roger Nixon":y029zp0k said:
How could anything be better than a nicely equipped shop full of planes for free? :lol:
Beats me. :D I'll spare you the Patternmaker's Tale, 'cos I want to get out of here alive, otherwise I can tell you how to get a load of paring chisels etc for free too. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Please don't spare me but maybe we should start another thread. I'm feeling guilty for taking this away from the original topic.

Patternmaker ... chisels ... free Words to conjure with!

Back