Interesting pieces of furniture

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Please do not post in this thread!

I will place photos and info for all pieces of furniture featured in my "interesting pieces of furniture" threads here to form a catalogue or list of what we like/dislike/aspire to.

The first piece is my favourite item of furniture by my personal favourite maker/designer

Becksvoort's 15 drawer cabinet

1-small.jpg

Chris Becksvoort says:
50H x 15W x 14D
My signature piece and personal favorite. With over 190 individual parts and almost 300 dovetails, it represents a fair amount of work. It holds keys, gloves, coins, papers, camera equipment, or even your collection of antique toys.

His webpage is here

Hi all

The second piece of furniture in what I hope will be a regular series over a long period of time.

This one was the first suggestion I received from a member in my 'inbox'

All that he told me is that this is one of his all-time, favourite pieces and is a desk made by Nick Chandler when he worked for David Savage.

He says that "For me it has a sort of vitality that makes it feel almost alive."

RosewoodDesk1x1.jpg

David Savage's website is here

Hi all

The third piece of furniture in what I hope will be a regular series over a long period of time.

This one was the second suggestion I received from a member in my 'inbox'

"One of my favourites is an Arts and Crafts desk attributed to EA (Ernest Archibald) Taylor - 1874-1951.

I bought it a couple of years ago and intend to make a stool to match. (TUIT)."

Closed.jpg

open.jpg

The actual thread is here

Hi all

The fourth piece of furniture in what I hope will be a regular series over a long period of time.

This one was another suggestion I received from a member in my 'inbox'

He says:
Here is a suggestion for your design thread. I don't like much of David Savage's work to be honest, but I think he hit the sweet spot with this table.
I love how deceptively simple it seems, but I would imagine that making it would be a challenge because of the chamfer which changes in angle as it travels along the length. I might find out, anyway, as I would really like to attempt to make a table like this when I've cleared my to-do list! I'll use black walnut for mine, though, rather than £1000 worth of Rosewood.

danielaweblarge9.jpg

danielaweblarge8.jpg

More info may be found here

All are welcome to comment on the pieces and please pm me with links to any photos that you would like featured here and a few lines explaining why

Discussion about thsi piece may be found here

Hi all

The fifth piece of furniture in the series.

He says:
It's a Paduak veneered Drinks Cabinet with inlaid Marquetry design in Lace Wood and stained Beech. Highlights by hot sanding. Shellac finish and lacquer. A 'modern' (year or two) pieces by a student.

PadaukCabinet.jpg

All are welcome to comment on the pieces and please pm me with links to any photos that you would like featured here and a few lines explaining why

The thread and discussion are here

Hi all

The sixth piece of furniture in the series.

All he says is "Don't forget John Makepeace - you know that mind blowing chair in holly"

millenium_chair.jpg

The discussion on this piece can be seen here

John's work can be seen here:
http://www.johnmakepeacefurniture.com/chairs/millennium.htm

The seventh piece of furniture in the series.

This piece is a buffet by David Marks. Buffet 1994, Quilted Maple, Ebony, Wenge, Eastern Maple, 72" x 36" x 20" and is a favourite of our resident saw maker

buffet.jpg

buffet1.jpg

buffet2.jpg

More about this piece here
http://www.djmarks.com/portfolio/buffet.asp

The discussion thread is here

The eighth piece of furniture in the series.

This one was another suggestion I received from a member in my 'inbox' - and yet another chair :D

Here's what they like about it:

Hans Wegner's Moller Chair - because it updates and pares down a classical form with such ease, elegance and simplicity, to the extent that I can't see how it could be improved on. It just looks so right. The pinnacle of a great designer's career, I reckon.

pp114_315.jpg

HANS J. WEGNER 1990

The chair was drawn for the Møller Centre at Churchill College in Cambridge, and produced by PP Møbler on special request from ship owner, Maersk McKinney Møller, who wanted a cross between PP 105 and PP 240.

Without Møller's request, the chair would probably never have been drawn. And it therefore seems only natural to name after him - the Møller Chair.

PP Møbler produced the chair from 1990 to 1996 in ash with strawbottom seat.

The discussion on this piece is located here

The ninth piece of furniture in the series.

This one was another suggestion I received from a member in my 'inbox' - and yet another chair :D

The 'classic' Maloof rocking chair

fig171.jpg

Note the following is a different chair

This one gives me an opportunity to add one of my own all-time favourite pieces by our own Waterhead37 which I am reminded of when seeing the Maloof piece

finished_1.jpg

More info on the Maloof chair can be found here

More info on Chris's chair can be found here

The original thread and discussion can be seen here

The tenth piece of furniture in the series.

This one was another suggestion I received from a member in my 'inbox', and they said:

Tony - This was from one of the top UK schools - a student's work. Wych Elm table with tooled leather inlay. Slider in the side apron and matching coasters with leather. Finished with Shellac and Lacquer (unsure how many coats). It was about 4' long I believe.

I liked it when I saw it mainly for the simplicity and the 'warmth' of the piece.
You can put this in if you like - it would be interesting to hear what the others think! It was sold to a client in Oxfordshire some time ago.

Table.jpg

The thread and discussion are located here

Finally, the eleventh piece of furniture in the series.

A table and chair by the Meier Brothers. Black walnut frame
Top fiddleback walnut Trim, inlays, and accents fiddleback maple

Dimensions: L 72"X W 32" X H 30"

86main.jpg

86.jpg

More info here

the original thread and discussion can be seen here

The event you've all been waiting for - the twelfth piece of furniture in the series.

A nice cabinet by Richard Williams that was suggested by one of our members

99927162_xl.jpg

More info here

The original discussion and post may be found here

Here we go, the 13th piece of furniture in the series, once again suggested by a member who pm'ed me a while back

Here is a piece that might provoke discussion - Maker is Zivko Radenkov
I know very little about him other than that he trained under Krenov at College of Redwoods. I would guess from his name that he's of Russian extraction which might account for the stunning (I think ) marquetry (content of rather than execution of - if you see what I mean) I think the marquetry adds something to the possibly rather derivative piece which appears to be very obviously in the style of JK, or at least a style associated strongly with him. The piece in the picture is apparently his latest piece.

eimage3.jpg

eimage2.jpg

The original post and ensuing discussion may be found here

Here we are, the 14th piece in the series, once again from my 'inbox'

This is Jere Osgood's "Spring Desk" in Indian Rosewood and Ash. Osgood's signature style is the laminated bends that you see here.

Osgood25Desk400.jpg

Osgood25DeskIntdetail400.jpg

There's an article about his bending technique here

Brief Bio here

The original thread and discussion may be found here

Here we are, the 15th piece in the series, once again from my 'inbox'

One of our member's favourite pieces, Hans Wegner's Peacock Chair made from Ash, teak and papercord

13555-35104.jpg

pp550_34A_sq.jpg

pp550_34_b.jpg

Website may be found here

Sorry all, been very busy lately with work and making things and not had time to post much.

However, here is the 16th piece of furniture for your consideration which was sent to me by one of our members a while back.

The member said:

Its not quite in the same league as EG the Barcelona chair, or Alvar Aalto's 402 or 406 chairs but it is nonetheless interesting, and I think it has a timeless appeal about it. It is definateley contempory yet there is an ancient almost egyptian elegance to the proportion's. It has been manufactured with a cnc machine by "Unto This Last" design studio run by 2 French designers out of Brick Lane, London. It is done to a high standard of finish, they operate on a fast turnaround basis, they do each of their pieces to order, with no stocks held. They assemble on site, you collect-no cost's for warehousing, packaging, transport etc, you can watch your pieces being made. Their aim is to create and sell furniture of a high quality at cheap mass production prices, so that lots of ordinary people can afford genuine designer furniture, pretty much in line with the pioneering ethos and aims of the original modernist designers of the early 20th century

NormaDarkSide_GA-B.jpg

NormaWhiteCorner_GA-B.jpg

All are welcome to comment on the pieces and please pm me with links to any photos that you would like featured here and a few lines explaining why.

Been a while, but we have the 17th in the series of interesting pieces of furniture for your consideration which was sent to me by one of our members a while back.

The member said:

I thought this chair might be a good subject for your interesting pieces of furniture. Its called the 'Ogham Cherry Chair'

I love how the piece is minimalist yet elegant, although it doesn't look very comfortable (the maker assures us it is). Aparantly the lines marked on the back are from an ancient Irish script called 'Ogham', based on the names of trees.

The maker describes how the back is actually two flat pieces cut on to a curve. When they are joined at an angle they create a nice curve for a chair back.

1815.jpg

1816.jpg

1817.jpg

The original thread and discussison may be found here

OK, here we have the 18th in the series of interesting pieces of furniture for your consideration which was sent to me by one of our members a while back.

The member said:

From the Pollaro workshop after Ruhlman. Im a fan of a lot of their stuff and in business terms theyre an interesting setup

04.jpg

05.jpg

The origianl thread and discussion may be found here

OK, here we have the 19th in the series of interesting pieces of furniture for your consideration which was sent to me by one of our members a while back.

The member said:

I love long case clocks. Their simplicity, their soothing tick-tock, the way they become a part of the family as they are handed down through the generations. But so often they are spoilt by the unnecessary fussiness of their cases, adorned as they are with naff phrases like "Tempus fugit" and ostentatious pillars and furnials. Then one day I saw this long case clock by that Master designer and furniture maker John Makepeace. At last a case so simple, yet so majestic, that really does justice to the movement inside. How I would love to own that clock.

02clock2.jpg

The website is to be found here

Back