No.50 Spokeshave

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bainzy

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get a No.50 Spokeshave (proper convex type, not just rounded sole) from in the UK? I had a check on ebay for old Stanley or Record models but none came up even in worldwide searches. I don't really want to spring £50+ for the Clifton version, as while I'm sure it will be worth the money I want to find out whether the convex shave will be suited to the work - so I'm after either a cheap new one or more preferably a good old one to fix up and see how I like it for carving electric guitar tops. I've already got one with a rounded base that I found amongst my Grandfather's tools and fixed up, but I can't see it being able to do all the contours I need to do:

DSCF0620.jpg

^...before, and after... >

DSCF0633.jpg

...and that also probably needs a cap iron - my Dad said he used it for rough carving masts with on the boats he built, so presumably the lack of precision needed in such work (say compared to a guitar top carve) meant the nut and bolt arrangement on there didn't pose a problem. Not sure where I'd get just a cap iron on it's own from though.

I've had a quick look at online stores based in the UK, and they sell spokeshaves made by a company called Kunz at fairly cheap prices, but none of them are the convex model. Also pretty sure they won't have one at B&Q :lol:

Bainzy, I have a feeling, unless you're incredibly lucky to stumble over one, your chances of finding a #50 are slim. If the Kunz one'd be any good then give Classic Handtools a bell - in theory Alex is supposed to be getting me a Kunz adjustable mouth shave to try so I doubt another one-off would be a problem.

You've done a nice job on that #65 (I think). One of the old tool dealers (see my website) might have a spare cap iron, or you could get creative with some brass and replace the chamfering fences while you're at it. :D

Cheers, Alf

Bainsy,
The other alternative is to get the round Millers Falls 'tubular'shave which has a diameter around 5/8" to 3/4". If I get a minute I'll take a pic of mine and post. No 67 IIRC. Tight enough for any internal curve Iwould have thought. Might be a tad pricey though. :cry:
Regards,
Martin

Bainsy

Tilgear do the Kunz No 50 for £14.95 + vat

They number is 01707 873434

I hope it helps

Thanks guys, some interesting points to consider. I might pick up the Kunz shave, although maybe it's worth saving for a while and then investing in the Clifton model since I can see myself upgrading to one eventually.

In regards to the one I've got Alf, I'd love to make a replacement cap iron out of brass for it, but don't really have any idea of where to start doing something like that. Where would one buy a small piece of brass, and how would one go about shaping it?

I must confess that I have not come across a Stanley #50 spokeshave before. A #51 yes, but not a #50.

The #51R (round sole) is very tricky to use. It has a tiny sole and orientation is often best achieved with a prayer to the Handtool Gods. The mouth is large, the blade is thin, and this is a fine recipe for chatter. And they do, often.

I sort of fixed mine by lapping the sole and shimming the blade until the mouth closed up. Even so it was so-so.

I used the #51R as a control shave when reviewing the HNT Gordon duo. If you want to use a superior round soled spokeshave, then take a look at the HNT Gordon.

http://www.wkfinetools.com/contrib/dCohen/z_art/HNTspokeshave/hntSpokeS1.asp

Regards from Perth

Derek

The spokeshave pictured above also has a round base (which first led me to believe it was a 51R until I realised mine was a bit different shaped and had the handle holes), I don't find it that much of a pain to work with - it does take some getting used to though.

Alf":2md2r93t said:
... If the Kunz one'd be any good then give Classic Handtools a bell - in theory Alex is supposed to be getting me a Kunz adjustable mouth shave to try so I doubt another one-off would be a problem.

Cheers, Alf

Hi Alf,

If Alex can't find one - sometimes it appears to be not as easy - You could try Dieter Schmid. He recently took the #53 back in his spokeshaves' range.

Bainzy,

Dieter Schmid offers the #50too, I can highly recommend him, but believe me, you will have a little work with the tool and above all its blade.

Marc, thanks for the reminder - forgotten Dieter. I'll try and get it via CHT though, simply 'cos I like to support the local shop, so to speak. :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Bainzy,

Have you seen the ones in Machine mart?
At 7 quid they might be worth a fettle
Look like a stanley rip off to me

^ The ones in Machine Mart might fettle up nice, but alas they only do ones with a rounded base, not the full No.50 style convex shape. I'm after one like this:

580-1600-sm.jpg

I just got an email from Alex at Classic Hand Tools regarding my Lie Nielsen #5 1/2, turns out Cocobolo handles are out of stock so he offered to ship it with Cherry ones and then ship the Cocobolo ones later, and I can keep both sets - what a gent! In my reply I mentioned the No.50 Kunz convex shave, so I'll see if it's obtainable through them.

Nope, it was duly noted - I'm just shopping around, seeing what CHT would sell it for if they stocked it. :wink:

Back