UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brucio

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello, my name is Bruce-I've just found this forum thanks to Gill, via the USA forum, and joined right now.
I use a Ferm scrollsaw (all right, laugh if you want), it may be cheap, but it works okay.
I make puzzles, but not the jigsaw type-the box puzzles that have hidden sliding parts that you have to move to open the box. I've made about 15, all different, and all my own design, so there's no copyright problems.
I've just discovered that the Perform scrollsaw is actually the same as my Ferm model, and somebody (I think it was RPM) had trouble fitting pinless blades in it. I think this was in January.
Anyway, I've just made a simple modification that will hold pinless blades with the same tension as the pintype blades.
I would post a picture of this, but I understand I can't do that until I have a few more posts.
However, if anybody is interested, send me a message, and when I work out how to, I should be able to send the picture to them...

Hello and welcome to the forum :D
Looking forward to seeing your work (think the spamulator wears off after three or four posts)

Andrew

Hi Bruce

I'm pleased you found us :) . We're a small group here but at least you don't have to struggle with 'Murrican accents ;) :) . There are also some very talented woodworkers who post here but not on the SSW&C forum, so dual forum membership is definitely an advantage.

As Andrew says, you should be okay to post your picture after another couple of posts. I certainly won't sneer at anyone who uses a Ferm or Perform saw - to be honest, I think that anyone who can persevere and produce good work on such machines is worthy of particular praise. It's much easier to produce quality woodwork on a Hegner than it is on a Spiralux. Your Ferm blade clamp modification will be an enormous boon to scrollers who use such saws.

Sadly, good saws at reasonable prices are difficult to find. I'm sure scrolling would be much more popular in the UK if this problem could be overcome. Fortunately, the SIP that was introduced a couple of years ago and the AWFS18 have done much to improve the situation, but top notch saws are still expensive.

Gill

Back