Type 78 rebate plane questions....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blurk99

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I've got a couple of questions about the No 78 Rebate plane - one of which is actually specific to the W78 Woden rebate plane...

1. How big should the cap screw be? it seems very close to pulling through the narrow portion of the hole in the 'lever cap', it has the same size screwhead as the screw that holds the secondary handle in place...

2. Can anyone recomend a decent replacement blade? i've had Stanley and Record new irons for 4, 5, 5 1/2 and 6 planes but they weren't great..

many thanks

jim

Jim,

I'll check my cap screw and see, but not just this moment 'cos it's bucketing down with rain outside. :( Replacement blade... hmm... <rummage, rummage> I thought Ray Iles made one, but it seems not. Lie Nielsen do one (I think it's the Stanley 78 style needed isn't it?), and Ron Hock will do custom blades. I might have an older Stanley or Record skulling about somewhere, if that's any use?

Cheers, Alf

Hi Alf,
I honestly wasn't on the scrounge :D
I was just curious whether there was a good aftermarket blade available because i dropped the whole plane a couple of weeks back and in breathing the sigh of relief didn't notice that i'd lost a corner off the blade, i could try regrinding it but then it's the original Woden blade and there's not a great deal of life left in it anyway.... and i've just phoned axminster and they've told me that even though they list it they no longer stock the 78 blades... best get the sharpening stuff out again then...
cheers

jim

Jim,

Phew. Lucky you it's still in one piece. :shock: I had a look, and the cap screw does have the same diameter head as the front knob. It should be nestling in a nice little countersunk hole, which maybe giving the impression it's in danger of going all the way through? I had a look for the spare iron but I can't lay my hands on it at the moment. Note to self: For heaven's sakes tidy the workshop! :oops:

Cheers, Alf

Thanks for checking Alf
I was wondering if i could just get away with placing a washer under the cap screw, then i noticed the back of the screw is rounded so i went on the lookout for a brass cup washer.. which deformed straight away... fun and games eh?

cheers

Jim

Latest posts

Back