Spiral Blades - What are they for?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mudman

Established Member
Reaction score
Trying to stay in one piece in South Wales
I expect that most newbie scrollers (puts his hand up) go and buy some spiral blades because that look like a really sensible idea.
But then you read a lot of advice that says that you shouldn't bother with them.

So I was thinking, are there any specific uses for them? Are there any applications that really need a spiral blade or will make a task much easier?

All thoughts welcome.

A spiral blade will do anything a normal flat blade will do, its just that the cross section of he cutting edge is so much thicker. This makes it difficult to cut fine details.

I also found as an inexperienced scroller that if you accidently put sideways pressure on the blade when manouvering the workpiece the blade cuts if its spiral :oops: - you have a little more leeway with a flat blade as the teeth are at the front not on every side.

Since getting to grips with flat blades I have not gone back to a spiral blade, although they may be useful if you have a large workpiece that you cannot swing round your saw since you could cut in, across and out without spinning the workpiece I guess.

Steve.

Steve,

Thanks for the reply.

I was more wondering though, if there are any applications where you have to use a spiral blade.

Another thought. Are spiral blades a good thing to start children off on? My 6 and 8 year olds are keen to have a go and it would mean that they would be able to follow a line more easily. But, then I guess there are bad habits to be unlearnt in the future.

Hi Barry

Some scrollers who cut very intricate portraits from patterns designed by the likes of Jeff Zaffino and Charlie Dearing find spirals are better for cutting the many fine, swirly piercing cuts that their work demands.

As for youngsters... why not give them the choice and see which they prefer? My instinct would be that they might find the spiral blade's propensity to cut in all directions rather disquieting - I can imagine a youngster, making a cut and backing it off to have a closer look, then realising that the back of the blade has cut into material that shouldn't have been removed. But it's probably better to let them decide which blades they want to use.

To build up a child's confidence with power tools, have you thought of buying something like a Spiralux? They're not very expensive and often come up on eBay. The great benefit is that it's impossible to cut yourself on one of these because they operate on an electro-magnetic principle. The downside is they're not very powerful and vibrate.

Gill

Gill,

If the Spiralux is what my wife calls a vibrasaw, then thanks for the name. I've been wondering what they are for a long time as my wife still goes on about the toy she made as a young teacher a fair few years ago.

I shall have a look on ebay for one as she won't go near the scrollsaw as sharp moving things scare the b'jaysus out of her.

Back