Small Workshops

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, there was no escaping the small workshop when it came to ripping a small section off a couple of 2m high doors for a built in wardrobe.

So.. the only option is to take the saw to an area with sufficient space!

Very effective, but quite hard work. Boy is that saw very very heavy. Due to lack of space in the workshop, it's also the very first time I have used the extending RH table extension. I'm pleased I got it, but it has convinced me it's a luxery rather than a real essential. The sliding table (removed in the picture - to try and reduce the wieght) - is definately the #1 essential I'd say when buying a table saw.

Ahh well, at least the sun shone all day!

Adam

click on image for larger view

click on image for larger view

Adam, just had the same dilema (really) and decided that rather than rip the bottom quater (or so) inch of the doors (4) would use the, up to now not used very much, bosch power plane, set on the max of 1.6mm did a grand job of sizing them there doors :wink: . Did you not think of this way out :( . looking forward to your pics and will post mine of said robes when I sober up. :lol:

Ok, here is the famous wardrobes, false wall built to give the "walk in" effect. All four doors made by yours truly, oversive of course and planed to fit. Custom made rad cover with shelf over (and more to be made above in alcove) Got panel raising bits from APTC, quite intimidating to look at but easy to use, whole project comes in under £300, not bad I think

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/gallery/det ... 4292695b74

Excellent, Jim - you were obviously sober when you built 'em. :roll:

When I replaced the doors (bought ones, not made by me :oops: ) in my house each door had to be trimmed to fit the frames which were all of differing heights with out-of-square tops (old house). After some careful measuring and marking out I, too, found that my Bosch power plane was convenient and good for the job, with a final finish by hand-planing. They also needed trimming to width. No machinery anyway in those days, so was glad that I had the Bosch - think I would use it again for a similar job.

Adam,

I see that you have a nice hardstanding in front of your workshop ready for the shop extension in due course to house that lovely T/S! :roll:

Cheers,

Trev.

If the shed is your workshop Adam. How do you get the table saw in?
My workshop (garage) is 20'x10' & has no room for that size saw with work benches on both sides.
I can't move safely with the space I have. Why oh why did I put all the garden tools in it?
My next job is to put a shed up to house all the gardening things. The shredder & mowers take up too much space. Not to mention all the plant pots etc.
At least the last 8 months of inactivity due to an accident has allowed me to take stock of what is no longer needed & to draw up plans for the new benches needed to replace the hodge podge there now.
I plan to make 2 benches from side door to back of shop making a total of 11' x 2'. One will have a double height with mitre saw at the back & jointer on the lower front level. This should be set so the higher top is level with the jointers outfield table with the adjoining bench at the same height to house a lathe & drill stand.

waterhead37":3b9cf3o7 said:
I would say a wheel kit might be called and essential too!

If you closely in the second shot, you can see it retracted underneath.

waterhead37":3b9cf3o7 said:
BTW who helped you move it?

That'd be me on my own.

Jim":3b9cf3o7 said:
bosch power plane, set on the max of 1.6mm did a grand job of sizing them there doors . Did you not think of this way out

I do have a power plane, and did consider this as an option, but as I was going length wise I wanted to be guarenteed not to have any undulations, due to my inability to hold the planer to the same pressure start to finish. I took off about 1cm from each door - so it would have taken a fair while with the planer, and the doors were edged with something that resembled plastic - I didn't fancy having that get in the planer blades!

Dewy":3b9cf3o7 said:
If the shed is your workshop Adam. How do you get the table saw in?
My workshop (garage) is 20'x10' & has no room for that size saw with work benches on both sides.
I can't move safely with the space I have. Why oh why did I put all the garden tools in it?

Dewy, I don't intend this to be my "final" workshop, but it is the last table saw I'll be buying, so for the meantime I have to suffer. The saw is pressed up against a corner, which stops me taking long rip cuts - mostly its only used for cross cut work on the sliding table. I would normally take long sections to work and cut them on our big universal, but in this case, I wanted to finish the project quickly. So the tablesaw fits in easily, and with space around it to stand safely, as I effectively have limited myself by only using it in 1 configuration. I also only have 1 workbench, and other than that, there isn't anything else really in the shed. I built a little outhouse for stuff like lawnmower, paint pots, spades/everything else, so the workshop really is "only" for woodworking - it makes quite a difference. I'm also careful to clear it out regularly, as there is no space for 'junk' and all wood is stored in the house :oops: The footprint of the saw (with the table extensions folded down) is actually quite small.

Adam

Jim":2g3pipfm said:
Ok, here is the famous wardrobes, false wall built to give the "walk in" effect. All four doors made by yours truly, oversive of course and planed to fit. Custom made rad cover with shelf over (and more to be made above in alcove) Got panel raising bits from APTC, quite intimidating to look at but easy to use, whole project comes in under £300, not bad I think

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/gallery/det ... 4292695b74

Very nice. I'll take a picture of my wardrobes and post it tonight if I remember.

Adam

Adam,

I admire your industry, I really do, but in the nicest possible way; You're nuts! :lol: Don't you have a circular saw?! :roll:

Jim, super doors. :D

Cheers, Alf

Alf":1d6c5ezj said:
You're nuts! :lol:

Actually, I quite enjoyed working out in the open. :lol:. Not everybody gets to work with a view of the ocean from their backgarden. (The view sideways from where the pictures are taken).

Yes, I do have a circular saw, and no, I didn't use it 'cos the fence is so poor, and I don't have a good straight edge. I'm waiting to purchase one of this nice Festool ones. :p.

Adam

Tsk. You get near enough with the saw and then finish with a plane of course. :roll: Deary, deary me...

Cheers, Alf

Who'd probably have run it through the bandsaw - and that ain't getting moved out into the garden any time soon. :lol: No to mention the only clear area outside the workshop is the surface of the pond, and I don't think even Jet can walk on water... :wink:

Alf":nnsmnmbp said:
Tsk. You get near enough with the saw and then finish with a plane of course. :roll: Deary, deary me...

That'd be veneered chipboard I was cutting. Not letting my LN near that thankyou. Even the Stanley wouldn't be allowed in the vicinity. Nice TCT tipped blade.

Trust me, I considered all the options, and rolling the TS out was the best option.

Adam

The pine planks in the background are another project about to be started for this weekend. The doors aren't visible I don't think.

Adam

asleitch":7mmx7dk8 said:
Yes, I do have a circular saw, and no, I didn't use it 'cos the fence is so poor, and I don't have a good straight edge. I'm waiting to purchase one of this nice Festool ones.

I did consider the Festool set up, but ended up with the Trend Pro Track clamp guide, the 8 foot one, with the saw base plate and a moderately priced Hitachi circular saw mounted to it. I'm very happy with the results, and can convert a sheet into 8foot long strips with accuaracy at least as good as could be obtained with a table saw, better in fact as the clamp guide is straighter than the edge on a standard sheet.
John

Jim. Lovely work on the doors, There. :wink:
Very satisfying, I'll bet.

Alf wrote:
You're nuts :lol:

Alf and Adam. Now you know what I have to go through every time I work on anything of reasonable size or length. It's out into the garden with the T/S (cheapo), the mitre saw, the workbench, the router table, the bench drill,etc... And as none of these weigh under 20kgs you're knackered before you start!! :shock:

Nuts?? No, just an undying love for the continuing struggle to create something beautiful :D

You've got my support Adam!!

Ta muchly

Gary

johnelliott":28gx8i43 said:
asleitch":28gx8i43 said:
Yes, I do have a circular saw, and no, I didn't use it 'cos the fence is so poor, and I don't have a good straight edge. I'm waiting to purchase one of this nice Festool ones.

I did consider the Festool set up, but ended up with the Trend Pro Track clamp guide, the 8 foot one, with the saw base plate and a moderately priced Hitachi circular saw mounted to it. I'm very happy with the results, and can convert a sheet into 8foot long strips with accuaracy at least as good as could be obtained with a table saw, better in fact as the clamp guide is straighter than the edge on a standard sheet.
John

Thats interesting John, I have been having a look at that also, one of the things I liked about the Festool, was the plunging riving knife. I'm still not decided. I probably would like to see the Festool in action before I consider spending that many £££. As I already have a Mafell router (LO50E) it'd be compatible with the Festool accesories, given it's basically the same machine.

Decisions decisions.....

Adam

Back