drop leaf table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
In the junk mail I have seen a nice looking dropleaf table for the garden. Can any member direct me to a webpage preferably free where plans for a similar table would be available.

Devon, have you considered drawing your own design? The main thing about tables is that they normally stand about 30" high. With that in mind you are free to design more or less anything that fits the place where it needs to go, the materials, tools and techniques that are available to you, and the size and shape that best fits your requirements.
In fact, if you are going to build up the confidence and knowledge to make your own furniture designs then tables are a very good place to start because it is so difficult to go wrong.
One thing about dropleaf tables is that they are normally used in situatuions where space is at a premium. Is this the case here? If it is then you will also want to coinsider other space-saving designs such as detachable legs
John

Devon

There is a nice design in the latest issue of Furniture and Cabinet making magazine

Cheers

Tony

johnelliott":2yc73ihc said:
Devon, have you considered drawing your own design? The main thing about tables is that they normally stand about 30" high. With that in mind you are free to design more or less anything that fits the place where it needs to go, the materials, tools and techniques that are available to you, and the size and shape that best fits your requirements.
In fact, if you are going to build up the confidence and knowledge to make your own furniture designs then tables are a very good place to start because it is so difficult to go wrong.
One thing about dropleaf tables is that they are normally used in situatuions where space is at a premium. Is this the case here? If it is then you will also want to coinsider other space-saving designs such as detachable legs
John

Well posted that man :)

Echoing John & Jim.
I have been making furniture for 38 years yet never used any plans that I didn't draw on a scrap of paper. The 1st was a 'L' shaped kitchen corner cupboard that is still used daily. My only regret was that it was covered in formica as was the style in hte 60s. One day I will get that laminate off & cover it with panelled sides & make raised panel doors to suit. I started on coffee tables a couple of years ago & was surprised how easy they were to make. All made with a mitre saw, table saw, jointer & biscuit cutter. Plus a random orbit sander & drill to put the dowels through the tenons. Bit by bit I hope to replace all the contiboard wardrobes & other bedroom furniture that I made. They serve their purpose but won't last as well as wooden ones.
My computer table was started after seeing the one by Norm Abram but I changed the design to suit.
I made raised panel doors instead of his fake drawer ones and used t&g cladding glued together to form the side panels of the base units.
Click here for Norms Computer Desk

Thank you Alf , they were super sites for woodwork plans. Also thanks for the other comments, I agree with their remarks but I am a little bit lazy, so I do like to look at published plans, but very often I then make amendments or obvious changes to size where appropriate.

In fact I have just finished 6 planters for my garden plastic trays over the weekend (96 M/T joints involved) but noticed that the framework of these planters could have been the basework of coffee tables ( or full sized tables)

My plans for the garden table have now progressed to wanting to incorporate a gateleg feature in addition to dropleaf, also adapting the tabletop to a slatted affair.

So I make another request to look at sites that have gateleg table plans.

Back