Spares for Dowelling Jig?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My (to be honest, my lady wife's) surfing unearthed the following:
http://www.toolman.co.uk/commerce.cgi?c ... s&pid=1362
from Toolman which appears to be identical to the old Record jig, only bright blue. There's no reference on the site though to parts, and they didn't reply to my email asking if they have the bits, so I assume not.

Anyone come across these? If any good I was thinking of buying one for the parts. As for the rods idea: brilliant, thanks. Will see how I get on trying for same here in Crete!

Pappous

I think that jig is just one of the later ones as marples did get a bit slap happy with that blue :roll:

Hi Colin,

I telephoned Boneham & Turner and spoke to a very helpful chap there called Chas. As I suspected, the Record guide bushes don't fit within their standard size ranges. One of the problems is that with their standard ranges, as the drill bore size increases, so does the outside diameter of the bush. They would, however, be happy to do "specials". As an indication of price - and this is only a ball-park figure - the price of a 1/4" bush from their standard range would be £5.70. If one ordered a "special" (and I said give me a price for say 50) the price would be £8.70 each.

In my view, provided we could get enough people interested, ordering some specials would not be out of the question. For myself, I have 8 bush carriers and would be interested in 6x10mm bushes and 8x9.5mm bushes (I have 8 of all the other sizes). It all depends how many other people would be prepared to join us if we wanted to make up a bulk order.

If anyone else is interested, please speak up :wink:

Cheers

Paul

Paul
I am interested and would like to get more than one set but only have one spare bush carrier and I am trying to get more :(

Lets see how this pans out :)

OK Colin. Let's keep finding excuses to revive this thread - I'm sure there are plenty of people like us out there who use the Record jig a lot and would like extra bushes. I would like some in 9.5mm for some knock-down fittings I use quite frequently and I wish now that I'd bought more 10mm ones when Record were still manufacturing them.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Lucky you got alot when it was a round but got mine earlier this year and I keep missing the ones I see :roll:

I am also thinking to try making some more carriers, as I could do with some more :(

Problem is I would need more bushes as well #-o ](*,) :)

Colin,

All the more reason for some enterprising manufacturer to start making it again - it must be over 30 years old so I'm sure the patents would have expired. Is anyone out there listening, I wonder :?: We already know of customers for long rods, guide bushes, guide bush carriers and no doubt complete jigs :wink:

Cheers

Paul

Well Paul,

If you see what some of them go for then yes I think the complete jig would sell, all we need now is some one to start making them again :whistle: 8-[ :)

i have the jig and it has proved very usefull i too would like metric fittings and some extra fingers.

If anyone comes across this thread in 2019 (like me) looking for longer steel 3/8" rods for the Record 148 then they can be had for GBP 21.58 delivered for 78 inches online at Cromwell . co . uk . Sorry I do not have permission to post URLs otherwise I would link direct to the item.
I hope it helps someone! I am very excited to begin using this jig.

Thirteen years man.Thirteen!
With apologies to Jeremy Piven.

But still, useful addition. Did you price rod including delivery from any other vendors? I found one that seems like it would be much cheaper, and for longer lengths (3m+, over 120"), but couldn't get the price inc. VAT and P&P.

As a result of this thread, I picked up a 148 today for £8. I am not sure what the full original kit included - this one only has guides which are 1/4" diameter. Intrigued by the method of locking one of the stops onto the guide rod with a couple of opposed convex leaf springs, driven by a screw through the centre of both.
Haven't had the chance of trying it out yet, but it seems to lock the guide pretty well.
I would be grateful if anyone has a list of what the original kit included.

Bedrock":1hkxvahy said:
As a result of this thread, I picked up a 148 today for £8. I am not sure what the full original kit included - this one only has guides which are 1/4" diameter. Intrigued by the method of locking one of the stops onto the guide rod with a couple of opposed convex leaf springs, driven by a screw through the centre of both.
Haven't had the chance of trying it out yet, but it seems to lock the guide pretty well.
I would be grateful if anyone has a list of what the original kit included.

There's a pretty comprehensive diagram in this other recently revived thread

record-148-dowel-jig-t100310.html

DaveL":3b08mm4i said:
Just to be awkward, I would like some sets of imperial bushes. :roll:
I think I've got some duplicate imperial bush sets, will have a look.

On the subject of rods - they are the same diameter as the rods on the the 044 plane. . . .

Latest posts

Back