Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a lovely box, especially the top. How hard was it to do the top? I'm assuming it's not your first go.

Here's what I made today: a stow away sheet cutting table to use with my tracksaw, to break down MDF, ply sheets etc. I aim to build a few cabinets over the next few months

Can be used on my saw horses or on the ground.

The first couple of parts were cut by hand, then a template bit in a router to make the rest of the pieces.

The goal was to have something that can be packed away in a small space (which is why I don't use a sheet of kingspan, for example.

Needless to say, OSB, splinters galore.
I also gouged my hand with a chisel :-( may need stitches but it has stopped bleeding now. It does ache though.

cfaa5056c2c97811bc70a1886989c3ff.jpg
4cbe3b9f33f1874146e40685839c5322.jpg
3ad59a6e4d45633b20419a3eb95ff413.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Lazurus":1q6smvff said:
Is that real grass ???
Haha no! Fake grass. I need to hire a power brush to brush it up a bit , it has become a bit matted.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

AndyT":30h3txez said:
That's a lovely box, especially the top. How hard was it to do the top? I'm assuming it's not your first go.

Thanks Andy. The top isn’t that difficult. I made this one using dovetails and As I don’t do them very often found them more taxing.

Chris152":1r13mq0p said:
Really nice - is the top ash, too? Beautiful piece to have chosen.
Thanks Chris. Yes - it caught my eye and I bought it described as Olive Ash not really knowing whether it was Olive or Ash. I have subsequently learned curly grained Ash is Olive Ash! It has about 50 applications of hard wax as I didn’t want to risk using oil and turning it yellow.

Blackswanwood":dornakf0 said:
Ash keepsake box

Very nice job!

The escutcheon and the suede lining can be quite tricky to execute well, but they both look exceptionally tidy.

=D>

Very nice too. What kind of footings and what kind of mortar did you use? In the chalky bit of Sussex I think those would have been knapped in the old days. Cheers, W2S

transatlantic":ofnshqzc said:
.......Is it square?....

:lol: =D>

Only if the house is*. The front wall is parallel to the front of the house, and the side wall is parallel to the side of the house.

*It isn't.

Woody2Shoes":vjze7hmu said:
Very nice too. What kind of footings and what kind of mortar did you use? In the chalky bit of Sussex I think those would have been knapped in the old days. Cheers, W2S

I dug a shallow footing maybe 6 inches deep (to the clay layer) and laid concrete. The mortar is white sand, white cement, and lime in 6:1:1/2, gauged, and I used lots of crushed brick as a pozzolan. You don't find an awful lot of knapped flintwork around here. Laid to a line in courses, like this one, is the traditional way, but most new walls are done at random, stuffed in behind a pair of boards. It doesn't look quite so nice in my view.

ipIM2Xc.jpg

Blackswanwood":2pg47hlj said:
......Is it just stone right through the wall Mike?

There are two fair faces, and rubble in the middle......mainly small flints, but also lots of bits of broken brick. The mortar takes up to 6 or 8 hours to set ready for pointing when used with flint alone, so brick speeds that up lots.

WcQFydf.jpg

MikeG.":34up9dkr said:
... Laid to a line in courses, like this one, is the traditional way, but most new walls are done at random, stuffed in behind a pair of boards. It doesn't look quite so nice in my view....]

Yes, I like the coursing - it reminds me of a Roman wall.

Simple Trellis, to cover up the neighbours ugly concrete wall:

Trellis before.jpg

Trellis WIP.jpg

Trellis After 2.jpg

Posts of 2x1 treated batons were attached to the back of the fence panels. The new slats are PAR redwood, rounded over with a 4mm gap between then, finished in Bedec MSP. Those colours are used in other parts of the garden to it ties everything together.

Attachments

• Trellis before.jpg
    Trellis before.jpg
    548.1 KB · Views: 183
  • Trellis WIP.jpg
    Trellis WIP.jpg
    511.3 KB · Views: 183
  • Trellis After 2.jpg
    Trellis After 2.jpg
    463.9 KB · Views: 183

Latest posts

Back