How to remove the chuck? Startrite Mercury (different!)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think those things are called "nutserts" I've never personally had to fit them so I'm of no help there.

Looking at your photos of the pulley, there isn't a key way cut into the pulley so there would be no point in sourcing any key steel for the shaft (EN8 Grade usually) if you have no matching key way cut into the pulley. New 16mm bore 4-step pulleys with a key way can be had for relatively inexpensive prices but finding an exact match for the diameter sizes might be difficult, but anything that's close enough should work fine. Judging by the amount of marring on the keyway on the shaft somebody's just been tightening a grub screw in there to hold the pulley in place.

Once again, +1 for all Trevanion says.

Re nutserts I GUESS you may find such things at a local motor spares supplier (Yellow Pages or Google), but doubt you'll be able to get a 1 off - a 10 off in a little packet as smallest order is more likely.

Or you could make your own quite simply - a small rectangular piece of ordinary MS plate, perhaps 3mm/one eighth inch thick, drilled & tapped in the middle to suit that retaining bolt, and 1 (better 2) holes to suit a pop rivet/s (or smaller plate retaining bolt/s). No big deal, but a bit time consuming.

Also agree with him about the state of that keyway - it's been botched at some time. But the keyway is there for a definite purpose, so look at somewhere like Arc Eurotrade (and others - see sticky at the top of the Metal Working Section of this Forum) and you should find new pulleys of suitable size (or near enough) for not too much cash. Usual disclaimers re Arc BTW.

As per usual, renovating old machines is mainly about problem solving, but A) it's very much worth it for a MUCH better end result than you can buy new for a sensible price, and B) it's fun anyway (IF you're so-inclined).

Good luck!

Thanks for the info. Yes, that's why I got this thing - to renovate. I've used some not-so-cheap modern drills a few years ago and they were garbage, compared with one of these that we had when I worked at University.

Anyway, rather Than continue this post, I've started another one (with a more accurate title now the chuck is off) showing the findings of today's strip down.

Cheers,
Phill

Phil, I am at the moment in about the same position with my mercury, Its a bit different to yours as My chuck was retained by a Jacobs taper, (JT2) as far as I can tell, If anybody knows how to remove the taper from the quill, that would be helpful, my top screw ring has a taper pin thru it which I have knocked out, but as yet has resisted my efforts in loosening the ring, not helped as I can't stop it rotating because the motor is on the floor, awaiting a new pulley.
I have obviously checked to see if the quill is ground for Morse taper, but there is no hole for a wedge.
As for the inserts on top for the guard, they are a form of Pop rivet, called Rivnuts or Nutserts, I replaced mine yesterday, I also changed the rotary switch to a pushbutton, only because they are a bit safer

Back