The heat!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Richard_C":3579rafi said:
Back to the original post, and drifting off the topic of heat, have a very similar trunk. Will post pictures later.

Brass fittings look the same. All I know of it is that my father had it in the 50s. It might have come down from his family or maybe from a house sale, we lived in Devon and he would occasionally buy things for next to nothing from country house contents auctions, not as investments but to use as there wasn't much money about. It served as a blanket chest. The trunk has no names or anything to identify it.

The joints are dovetails but not high quality, you can see the scribed marking lines so I wondered if it was an apprentice piece or a DIY to a bought design with standard brass fittings.

Do you know anything about them, or about the type in general?

I'm afraid I don't know anything about mine. We bought it in an antique/junk shop about 10 years ago. Here are a couple of other pictures. I'm afraid we have abused it a bit. In addition to its current position in front of a south facing window, we used it as a coffee table in a conservatory before that!

IMG_7649.jpeg

IMG_7650.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7649.jpeg
    IMG_7649.jpeg
    274.3 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_7650.jpeg
    IMG_7650.jpeg
    294.3 KB · Views: 77
MikeG.":2x8ne2s4 said:
Trainee neophyte":2x8ne2s4 said:
........But the UK gets lots of rain to go with it........

It's rained here (Essex Suffolk border) 3 times since March, and two of those were trivial amounts. My part of the country gets less rain than Jerusalem or Johannesburg. Much of Greece gets more, or much more, rain than we get. We average 500 to 525mm a year.

I've just looked it up,and Wikipedia claims I get 920mm rainfall per year, with 87 rain days. You live in a desert! I admit I live in the wettest, greenest part of Greece that isn't over 2,000 metres altitude, but even so - you need to move back west and get some proper liquid sunshine, or you'll seize up.

Back on topic, I do have my grandfather's tin-lined WWII regimental steamer trunk. It has "Northamptons" stenciled on the front, so I assume that was his regiment (oddly I don't know for sure). If there is a clamour for photos I will be happy to oblige, but only if requested, as it will mean some furniture moving...

IMG_20200625_160453.jpg

So similar.

It looks to me as though the brass corners, handles and lock escutcheon are the same or very similar, the reinforcing bands are copper on mine, maybe brass on yours, but mine appear to be bent by hand from strip rather than bought as a finished component. Yours has a nifty lid-lifting handle inset, mine doesn't. Dovetails are similar but not exactly the same. What is notable is the similarity of the wood used.

I've done a quick web search and it looks like WW1 or earlier, they were normally pine or camphor wood, some on the 'bay for about £500 or 4x more for an 1890 Naval one with provenance. I had no idea they had any value, I just treat it as a nice looking thing to store stuff in. In the roof I have my late father's WW2 RAF trunk from his bomber pilot service but it's very different and although made of wood looks mass produced and painted. I'm pretty convinced this one it is pre 1939. Maybe even non military, I wonder if the design was the same if you were sent "overseas" as a doctor, civil servant, missionary.

Does anybody have any better idea of likely age, what it might be made from? Factory made, home made to a plan? I've got all interested now.

Attachments

• IMG_20200625_160453.jpg
    IMG_20200625_160453.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20200625_160459.jpg
    IMG_20200625_160459.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20200625_160520.jpg
    IMG_20200625_160520.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20200625_160540.jpg
    IMG_20200625_160540.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 50
The only good thing about Covid-19 is that I get to work from home wearing just my pants.

It's sooo hot .. :(

I've been slating a roof all week, it's been a bloody killer! Way too hot, we've been taking a break every hour so, and yesterday we even made a tarpaulin tent to work under to keep the sun off. Before that the slates were untouchable

Its all right! Panic over! we have a heat warning today, that means its going to pass 40c somewhere on the island =D> =D> =D> =D>
All is right with the world again. 8) 8)

Had to have a covid test today, purely precautionary as I am having a minor surgery next tuesday. Everyone here has to a full blood test and a covid test before any elective surgery. Most unpleasant, he stuck the swab so far down my throat he very nearly got a black eye. (hammer)

I passed except my sugars are a bit high, I blame the Latvians and the americans, especially that Mr. Stolichnaya and Mr Coke. :lol: 8) 8) 8)

Back