Sniffin' Glue

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonsdale73

Established Member
Reaction score
Clearly too old for solvent abuse, my head is pounding after attempting try using super glue as a finish. Damn near finished me off.

I haven't had an issue with it but have read many similar tales to yours.

I would suggest an alternative. I have moved onto melamine lacquer and find it altogether much easier and friendlier to apply.

I learnt a long while ago to have maximum extraction running to an outside exhaust when using it to repair turning defects or blemishes, vicious stuff, even the lower fumes versions are obnoxious.
I was amazed to see it being sold 'in bulk' (ltrs.) at one popular turning supply outlet, I would not want to handle decanting it without a decent fume cabinet or equivalent precaution let alone in an average home workshop.

kevinlightfoot":z1xf26ps said:
Why on earth would you want to use superglue as a finish!

Check out youtube for multiple examples of superglue as a finish. TBH I hadn't intended using it as a finish at all but I did want to glue something onto a work piece and I rather like the effect a stray droplet gave so thought I'd try it out on the rest of the piece. I was using the same stuff for its more regular application of gluing up mitres on a picture frame the other day, same bottle, sure I'd have used more of it for longer but didn't have the same issue then. Ironically, I'd just removed the Trend Pro, thinking I was done with it for time being.

One main reservation with CA as a finish is that it can be very brittle and chip at the edges or crack if the underlying wood moves.

marcros":14x1sfos said:
I haven't had an issue with it but have read many similar tales to yours.

I would suggest an alternative. I have moved onto melamine lacquer and find it altogether much easier and friendlier to apply.

I bought some of that after I saw you recommend it in another thread. Not used it yet

Lonsdale73":32bmsctn said:
I'd just removed the Trend Pro, thinking I was done with it for time being.
I don't think your Trend would have had all but a marginal benefit in as much that the air intake is a little further way from the source of the fumes than your un shielded eyes and nose, may even have made things worse had you leaned over the piece and it had sucked in the fumes and force fed them to your face.

I've used CA when filling cracks with brass powder, horrible stuff. There is some chemical reaction going on with wisps of smoke coming off. I wear a powered respirator but still use a fan to blow over the item.

Latest posts

Back