Fitting laminated backboards

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a laminated backboard to fit in a kitchen, it's about 2.1m long x 0.45m high think 8mm thick, never fitted one so have a few questions for anyone who knows what they are doing.

How do people stick it to the wall, I use fix-all for most things, will that be okay? I have seen people mention some double sided tape?

There are a couple of small returns so some edges will be seen, I see Howdens do some sealer strips, are they the best things for covering the exposed edges?

Do you sit the backboard on the worktop or pack it up a couple of mill?

What is the best method for cutting out holes for sockets, there are 4 of them #-o

Thanks in advance, Doug

We use pink grip white to stick them the wall, sat on a bead of clear silicone. They usually come with a trim for covering edges on returns, much like tiling. Use a multi tool or a jig saw to cut the holes for sockets etc, just measure carefully.

You can mitre them on the returns.
Stix all is perfect for sticking them to the walls. Then seal the bottom edge with silicone

Thanks for the advice guys, had been putting this off but got it done yesterday. I made an MDF template first because of the sockets, went well. Both the wall and board were bent so I had a long length of wood braced between the 2 walls to keep it pushed back straight while the adhesive set.

Just one more question, for the silicone between the back board and worktop do I try and get a colour match or just use clear? The tops are Howdens laminate Evora grey slate if that helps.

Thanks, Doug

Back