DBT85s Workshop - Moved in and now time to fit it out

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well its done. That's all you're getting from me tonight.

The phrase rhymes with clucking bell.

50045129922_eb20e2f3c9_b.jpg

Nice one - great progress DBT.
Glad you've got some protection on.
Not sure what part of the country you're building in , but way down south here, we've just had the mother of storms and its heading vaguely Northwards.

Yeah that's what I needed it done today for as the forecast said today you shall bake and tomorrow you shall drown. Hopefully it doesn't hit here anyway.

I achieved nothing today, I walked out, looked at it and turned round and went back n.

To achieve that in 30C+ is a superb effort, at least you can take tomorrow off knowing all will be pretty well protected. You kinda want it to rain now you’ve done the work. :D

So, the morning after the night before. It's still there. Still no rain.

Everything went pretty well for the most part. You get surprisingly comfortable climbing wonky ladders and crawling all over your roof when you have to do it for a few days. I had a lie in yesterday and didn't get out of bed till 7 helped by the fact that my kid also decided that sleep was good.

While my wimmin slept I woke up and got ready to go and move the truck to get more insulation. Lo and behold as I walked out to where the track was, it wasn't. Mike had already been up and was driving across the field with my next batch of insulation. All £48 worth. Great. All materials on site to crack on.

I'd already cut all but the last 2 bits (which are narrower than normal) to width the night before so I could carve up my first one for the door end, check my measurements and then make 2 more to the same pattern, and 3 more bits to go over the top. With those all in place I then did the easy one at the end, just a straight run to two different widths. The first side was done by 9:40 and we were seeing 23c already.

One half complete
50046552752_04c35f0d38_b.jpg

Time to fire up the saw again and make some mess.
50046294006_04a345bb3d_b.jpg

I know most only use a hand saw for the insulation but honestly I'd do it again with the table saw. 20 pieces all cut to perfect width in a minute or two with less mess and no marking out. This is obviously easier when the boards come in half widths in the first place.

I started hacking bits away to get the other side done and it all went in without major issue. As always you work it out slowly and it only gets faster as you start banging it up. It really helped noting the cuts from the first boards to just mark out the same for the next 3 or 4 for around the joists. I could do minimal trips around the garden to the saw and up and down the ladder.

The far side was complete by about 2:15. The temperature was about TooHot degrees.
50046552437_80611fddce_b.jpg

We'd had some friends arrive for a distanced BBQ and with them came grown up conversation and cold beer, so I wasn't going to miss out after 3 months. Really the only thing I've missed since lockdown started was this kind of afternoon with friends.

Despite that I needed to get my foam in so I hoofed it up onto the ridge once more with the foam lance. Wifey and friend Lee proved adept at launching cans of foam up to me on the ridge and I worked my way along the top doing the gap and as far down the rafter edges as I could comfortably reach. Then it was time to scamper across the rafters to do the rest of it, then the other side. But it was done by about 3:30 and I could sit, eat have a much needed beer and enjoy a natter while the foam cured.

They did the foxtrot come 6 and so I could get back up and trim any odd bits that had bubbled up out of nowhere and clean up a little of the more overzealous foam. Then I set out my membrane on the floor and marked out 5x 7.5m lengths, enough to do the whole roof with excess.

That's where I started getting hot under the collar. The merest gnats fart had the stuff billowing all over the place, and I'd only folded the membrane up to get it up onto the ridge and work down like SheptonPhil did for his. Never again. With the ridge piece on I could come back down for my second length. This proved more difficult as I was rapidly running out of rafter to hold onto or stand on. The third and final length for the far side was completed mostly from the ladder. That side looks rubbish compared to the side in the photo, but it doesn't need to look pretty.

The side you've seen was done marginally better and slightly differently. I rolled up my membrane as tight as I could and after clambering onto the roof went to the farthest end from the ladder and worked backwards. I wasn't quite getting in my own way as often, but boy was I glad I didn't have a steeper pitch to try standing on. With that one down it was fairly easy to do the last bit down at the eaves once again all from the ladder.

The lesson here is don't listen to Phil. :lol: Start at the bottom and work up using battens. Oddly, exactly as you're supposed to do it.

I wish I'd worked out something for my batten spacings before getting to this point so I could have put some up without them being temporary. But time was also in the way as the potential for rain was high enough that I didn't want my hard work ruined.

So that's that. I'd never do it that way again, but apart from the membrane part it all went ok given the ridiculous temperatures.

All in all the insulation cost for the roof came to £92. Not bad for 34m2 of 120mm insulation. A new record perhaps?

50045129922_eb20e2f3c9_b.jpg

Sheptonphil":2fojl1t2 said:
I achieved nothing today, I walked out, looked at it and turned round and went back n.

To achieve that in 30C+ is a superb effort, at least you can take tomorrow off knowing all will be pretty well protected. You kinda want it to rain now you’ve done the work. :D
You useless bum! ha. Yes deffo a day off today. A day off in which I get to sort admin out, clear up, generally not relax.

thats handy. now its covered in black membrane it will get even hotter in there. :D

get those window openings cut out to let the breeze through

Hang on, have you pulled the temporary battens off?? You want to leave them on so the felt doesn't blow away. Nice progress though

flying haggis":2ijp1gq8 said:
thats handy. now its covered in black membrane it will get even hotter in there. :D

get those window openings cut out to let the breeze through

Ha, with that much PIR up there I'd hope it'll be fine. It did actually feel cooler when I went in there today.

I'll leave the windows until such time as I'm ready to fill them.
owen":2ijp1gq8 said:
Hang on, have you pulled the temporary battens off?? You want to leave them on so the felt doesn't blow away. Nice progress though
No battens at all were harmed in the making of this covering. Planning on putting them on tomorrow.

Next time I'm doing it how you and Mike told me to. Or working out my whole gauge so I can just do it all at the same time.

It's going to be a bit breezy in your neck of the woods tomorrow afternoon. I'd chuck 2 or 3 battens up each side just to be sure.

MikeG.":19dum6a0 said:
It's going to be a bit breezy in your neck of the woods tomorrow afternoon. I'd chuck 2 or 3 battens up each side just to be sure.

I'd second that or you're likely to be chasing some large black kites across the fields, not something you want to be doing especially as it would be torn and useless. #-o

Yep first job tomorrow is to get battening. I enjoyed a day not dangling from a roof or lifting sheet goods above my head today.

I did tidy up a tiny bit. But only a tidy bit.

Good news is that it rained and the roof works. Bad news is a little got in on the walls but that was to be expected until they are covered also. I'll bang up the 2 tarps I have on the walls to offer a little protection until tomorrow or Monday.

I'm sitting here trying to work out where the battens are supposed to go for these slates and my head is just failing to comprehend so I'm just going to have to bang some random ones up for now. Of course, I have no nails (I never use nails for anything) apart from those that I have for the nail gun so I'll have to work something out.

I've only got a few hours at it this morning at best.

After a moment to un collate (de collate?) some nails I headed up in the spitting rain to get some battens on. About half way through I cracked my thumb with the hammer. Everyone in the tri county area heard me.

I got up the other side and got some battens up there too, also did my thumb again. Why don't I use more nails I wonder? (hammer)

As I don't have much time today I then banged up what I could on the walls to help keep some wet out as it's drizzly. The 8x6m tarp that covered the slab is on the back wall (that wall got hit harder with the overnight rain), the smaller tarp we had went over the door to keep the worst out and then I used what was left of the first roll of membrane on the window wall and then as far as I could on the short back wall. I'm fairly certain I won't actually need it anyway if I wreck it getting it off again, but I can be careful removing the staples.

It'll have to do.

Months and months of amazing weather and now this at the worst time.

A temporary raincoat
50050227707_da78426c90_b.jpg

I drop in every few days to check and see on progress. Looking great!
I'm sure you have it covered 8) but just in case :shock: . Looking forward, when you install electrics, are you putting in noggins where you want your points/backboxes?
If you hadn't considered it it might be worth routing etc/etc/etc out big old oversize housings now on a flat surface and then fit them. Once marked out clearly on the floor where they are will be a doddle to connect up to later. One screw and backbox issues solved or similar quick fix.
(Just in case it had slipped your attention.)

I'm not sure if I catch your meaning?

I guess I have the opportunity now to run cables in the empty walls and feed it through but my plan was to run in conduit and trunking where needed and have surface mounted boxes.

Mike, I'm unsure of the next step with the roof. I think I've worked out what I need to do for my battens, but what I'm not sure on is what the end of the tile is sitting on. I have closed off my eaves as you did and planed it flat but are the tiles going to sit on that all the way along or are they sitting on a fascia board?

Show us your tiles. They almost always sit on top of the fascia, but you have to get that positioned just right, and that will vary depending on the tile type.

They are just cembrit fibre cement tiles. Basically the exact same thing as Phil used. Flat, smooth, 300x600, square edges.

OK then, the same as slates in terms of setting out. You'll need an extra batten at the bottom to pick up the eaves course (that can be a slate turned 90 degrees). The bottom row of slates (on the eaves course) must sit in line (co-planar) with all the rest of the roof (in other words, don't let them sag, and you don't kick up the bottom row like you do with plain tiles)......and sits on the top of the fascia. So you'll find yourself standing at the eaves balancing 2 or 3 tiles and off cuts of battens in one hand, and a scrap of fascia in the other whilst you work out the fascia height. If in doubt, raise it 3 or 4 mm. Much better to err that way that to let them sag.

If you want surface mounted boxes that's great. If you want flush lines why not take the opportunity to sort it now? I'd allow twice as many sockets as I thought I'd need and run it all behind the walls. If nothing else it won't gather dust like conduits.
Just a suggestion! Don't mean to 'bully'! Sorry! Your shed! :D

Back