Can anyone identify this infill plane please?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the big makers didn't always put their name on planes.

That is a professionally made plane, but at some point, the front bun took damage and someone (relatively skillfully, leaving only a faint outline of the bun) trimmed it down to that knob shape.

I should revise - I can't say for sure that it's professionally made by a planemaker, but it's made by a professional as you don't walk into handle orientation and fit like that by accident, but a patternmaker could carefully make a plane of that quality.

The lever cap is a bit far from the iron for a factory plane (but that happens sometimes) and the iron is a good fit, but probably not the original. The lever cap does not look familiar (catalog part?), same with the screw.

I have a smoother with a Matheson blade and chipbreaker also with no name on the plane. I am not really sure who made it but lean towards it being Matheson. As DW said it is a well made plane. Be interested to see what it ends up going for.
Regards
John

Attachments

• P1010006.JPG
    P1010006.JPG
    446.4 KB · Views: 228
Back