Record 52 1/2 ED Vice Question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

city17

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I acquired a Record 52 1/2 ED vice today, but I'm having some trouble getting it set up right. I'm not sure whether I'm doing something wrong or if the vice is broken.

It's one of the newer models, maybe from the 80s/90s? It has bench dog (although missing on mine, but that's not the real problem), and a quick-release lever.

Initially the quick-release worked, but the vice wouldn't work at all when turning the handle, neither clamping nor releasing. I disassembled it a bit and put it back together with more tension on the coiled spring, and now it does work when I try turn the handle clockwise, to clamp.

But on counterclockwise (releasing) movement the gears seem to be slipping, and it doesn't really move at all (or just a tiny bit and then disengages again).

Is this a problem with this vice, or are these kind of quick-release vices only meant to be released using the QR mechanism?

Trevanion":1i0m8lmf said:
This'll sound daft... Is the half nut installed the right way around?

Do you mean the nut that's inside the coiled spring? This one:

ZQEscoH.jpg

No, I meant the one that engages with the thread and is disengaged with the lever through the bar.

Ah, I see. I don't think so. There is only one side that has a gap/hole to receive the flat bar that pushes it up or down. So I don't really see how it could be fitted any other way.

city17":be8k0czd said:
Ah, I see. I don't think so. There is only one side that has a gap/hole to receive the flat bar that pushes it up or down. So I don't really see how it could be fitted any other way.

If the flat bar is also the wrong way around :)

I have seen it happen before, I'm not insane! :lol:

It sounds as if the half-nut is not fully engaging with the thread after it's been lifted clear to allow quick travel. Maybe there's some dirt or debris or a cob of hardened pine resin encrusting the thread in the nut, stopping it engaging fully.

There's many a problem been solved by a strip-down, inspect and clean of all components. Just be careful to put 'em back the right way round!

Did a full disassembly and thorough rust removal. Now it's actually working properly! I think the surface rust on the bars gave it too much friction, which was much more than the pressure from the spring pushing the half nut down. So instead of moving along the bars, the half nut got pushed up.

I am attempting to get a similar vice to work. When the half nut is engaged in what position should the quick release lever be, close to the winder or away from it?
Thank you,
Russell

The half nut will slip if there is too much friction when opening the vice or clogged threads/half nut.

Pete

Thank you Phil Pascoe. I have cleaned the half nut thread but not the outside or the housing so it will be interesting to see what happens if it functions better when that is completed. I also have to clean the thread.
Russell

The threads on both screw and nut are surprisingly deep, and shaped rather like a rip saw tooth.

Bod.

Latest posts

Back