New magazine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old.bodger

Established Member
Reaction score
Thought some might be interested. I have no connection except reading past magazines by same editor before his cycle accident.

Quercus

https://www.mymagazinesub.co.uk/quercus

https://pocketmags.com/quercus-magazine

Hope the links work, not easy to link as it keeps wanting to reveal my login details!
Not obvious but the second link requires setting up an ‘account’ before you can do anything much.

If this has been posted before or offends any rules then please remove.

Just felt that it was worth a risk of £4.50 plus postage to see what it was like and the guy deserves a bit of support after his long battle back to health.

Agreed, and thanks for posting. A friend put me on to this yesterday and I have ordered the first two copies. Nick Gibbs has a good track record in finding new, interesting content and not just churning out advertorial guff.

I got a copy through the post yesterday. Haven't had a chance to look at it yet.

John

I was baffled when two(!) copies of this appeared in my letter box. Then it became clear that it is the successor to the defunct Good Woodworking.

I found it to be interesting, quirky (in the best sort of way) and promising for the future.

With a bit of luck it will be successful.

Yes!
Judging from a very apologetic email received this morning, I surmise that they have had a bit of an issue sending out complimentary copies to ex subscribers of the old magazines, I read it as “the data base got a bit scrambled” !

Hmmm. Based on recommendations here I subscribed for a digital copy online for £3.99.

The format is very annoying. I wish to read on my laptop and it is presented in PDF format as double page spreads. You cannot select a single page as far as I can see, so I am forced to zoom and read bits of a double page spread at a time or read it in minuscule print.

They claim to have optimised an app for use in an iPhone or iPad, but I wonder if the publisher has actually tried using the app. It is not well suited to reading text.

The technology is out dated and it will not thrive as a digital magazine in this format I fear. I would not buy another digital copy.

AJB Temple":34biwsz3 said:
Hmmm. Based on recommendations here I subscribed for a digital copy online for £3.99.

The format is very annoying. I wish to read on my laptop and it is presented in PDF format as double page spreads. You cannot select a single page as far as I can see, so I am forced to zoom and read bits of a double page spread at a time or read it in minuscule print.

They claim to have optimised an app for use in an iPhone or iPad, but I wonder if the publisher has actually tried using the app. It is not well suited to reading text.

The technology is out dated and it will not thrive as a digital magazine in this format I fear. I would not buy another digital copy.

That sounds disappointing. Just for clarity, is it a vanilla pdf that you can read in whatever reader software you like, or something like a pdf but tied to an app, and if it's the latter, whose app is it - presumably it's "Pocketmags" ? The Android version does seem to have a lot of one star reviews.

I've only had a quick look Andy. It was tedious enough9in terms of readability - not read the content yet) to use for me to spend no more time on it during working hours. It opens within a browser and appears to be a pocketmags PDF reader or delivery system They presumably think this is secure, but it isn't as I was able to copy readily (on Mac and could distribute as Adobe files if I wanted) and (no problem implied) I could print it if I wanted to churn out 64 pages. It is a very basic reader redolent of the previous decade. It's not browser optimised. Doesn't seem to make any difference if opened in safari or chrome.

Adrian

Thanks. I asked, assuming that Nick will be reading this.
I guess it's yet another complication of the publishing world these days - if you pick a printer/distributor you need them to be good across printing and distributing on paper and have a good technical platform for digital subscriptions. I don't know the market place but I expect the choices of who to work with are quite limited.

Didn't know that it was out yet...... just sent off for a paper copy.

Whatever else, I prefer a chunk of old-fashioned paper in the hand.

Yes, I assumed that Andy. I am not criticising Nick in any way - far from it as I would like to see proper (not simple craft) woodworking magazines again. I have zero patience so I will do online even though I prefer print, at least for a trial.

As I can construct websites and code (not expertly) I know what can be done today, and this is pretty basic delivery. However, if Nick can get a following then maybe this will generate enough business to be viable. Kind regards, Adrian

It's the same with Woodturning Mag - a horrible bastardised PDF reader that just makes life awkward although I've found it works quite well on a 2-in-1 laptop used in tablet orientation. Not much use for a standard laptop though.
Duncan

Unless I have missed something, there only appears to be Digital issue of the magazine available (something I am not keen on ditto downloaded music!). Could someone point me in the right direction as I would like to give the magazine a read.

Thanks,

Karl

fasterbyelan":14oicekg said:
Unless I have missed something, there only appears to be Digital issue of the magazine available (something I am not keen on ditto downloaded music!). Could someone point me in the right direction as I would like to give the magazine a read.

Thanks,

Karl

This link should lead to both options.

AndyT":2sznym59 said:
fasterbyelan":2sznym59 said:

Thanks,

Karl

This link should lead to both options.

Thanks, sorted!

Karl

Back