Double garage Dust extraction for lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hay folks,

Just starting to get teeth into wood turning using an old recordpower dml24x
I am worried about the amount of dust I am creating and covering my two car garage. I have a classic car on one side and my lathe on the other. I'm looking for dust extractor recommendations quite the better but obviously proformance is high priority. I dont have many tools that need dust clean up. Router and lathe rest is all manual work.

Would a vac system and air filter be the way to go or a full size cyclone dust collector be better. Looking to spend £150 more can be spent if it is worth.

Using a Honeywell face shield and 3m half face mask atm while learning but car is not enjoying the sawdust on its cover

Thanks
silly person

Do a search on here and you'll find LOADS of info and views.
I'm still at the learning stage, too, but I'm pretty confident you won't even touch the sides with 150 quid, I'm afraid to say.

Hi Silly

It won't be long before you're looking for a new garage for the classic car. You've clearly got room for:-

Good sized band saw
at least 2 sharpening systems
A second maybe smaller Lathe
Good Workbench
Planer-thicknesster
Pillar Drill
A few tools!!!!!

This is how it gets you. You have been warned!!

Phil

I have 2 benches 3 shelves and an old desk and a fridge freezer fishing stuff and odd bit of garden equipment. It already feels tight

I have a Camvac dust extractor by my lathe that I run whenever I am sanding, and a Record Power AC400 air filter in the eaves of my garage that I run most of the time I'm turning. Despite regular maintenance to the filters of both devices everything still gets covered in a fine layer of dust eventually and I have to vacuum it up with my shopvac once a week or so.

I would cover your car with a dust sheet and learn to live with dust if you want to turn on a regular basis. Turning produces prodigious amounts of the stuff.

selectortone":2elyo3la said:
I have a Camvac dust extractor by my lathe that I run whenever I am sanding, and a Record Power AC400 air filter in the eaves of my garage that I run most of the time I'm turning. Despite regular maintenance to the filters of both devices everything still gets covered in a fine layer of dust eventually and I have to vacuum it up with my shopvac once a week or so.

I would cover your car with a dust sheet and learn to live with dust if you want to turn on a regular basis. Turning produces prodigious amounts of the stuff.
You dont use cam vac when turning? What is the noise level like?

IdiotWithALathe":2zahng9j said:
You dont use cam vac when turning? What is the noise level like?

Camvacs are reasonably quiet. They come with an outlet hose that you can use to direct most of the noise away from you. I built myself a silencer box the hose feeds into that reduces the noise even more.

You're not going to want to hear this but your budget is in direct opposition to what you need. At least ten times your 150 pounds would get you the minimum.

Lathes are the hardest to collect from because the dust and chips never come off the tool in the same direction every time. To even begin to get it you need lots of airflow and that is as a minimum a 3 hp HVLP (high volume low pressure) Dust Collector turning a 13" or 14" impeller drawing through 6" ducts. Here is a link to a bell mouth hood (best design for hoods) on just such a system. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjtHCmR-N3M

No vacuum cleaner HPLV (high pressure low volume) of any kind or small DC sucking through a 4" duct will do anything near what you want. If you want to stay small and cheap then covering the car will always be needed and you will be regulated to cleaning up afterwards.

Pete

It may be worth putting up a curtain or similar to close off your turning area. At least the amount escaping will be limited even if it doesn't totally seal off the turning area.
Duncan

I'm afraid the Classic Car cover contamination and the general dust around the shop are not the problem, they are just the very clear indicators that your personal health is at risk.

As others have said, Dust control is very difficult and to do it to an adequate level to protect yourself can be as expensive if not more expensive than the rest of your shop equipment put together.

From my point of view, by all means do what you can to reduce the escaping dust contaminating the the rest of the area, essentially to protect other members of the family who may be exposed to it, but do ensure you have adequate respiratory protection whilst you are in there.

Some time ago I Put this missive to pen in trying to sum up the problems as I saw them for someone new to the subject, you may find it useful in pointing you to more research.

CHJ, no one but me goes in the garage. I'm aware of the health risks hence the enquiry. I wear a half mask respirator already to protect myself. I was more looking for advise on specific models that people are using and what there progression from vacuum to chip extractor was. Obviously it is unlikely anyone will have 100% dust removal from the get go. From reading your post I agree with your points of dust theory. Money to perfection ratio. But everyone has to start some where. Will a 1hp chip collector with a cyclone interceptor work? Is there brands to avoid ones to go for? As I would like to grow into my wood work for mental health benefits. Just looking for personal experience of dust extraction in small shop.

Thanks

If it's any help I have a similar sized workshop and my set up consists of the following -
a shop vac for general cleaning and I've just got an adapter to attach it to the sander.
A Jet DC1100A Extractor that does a good job of collecting the waste from my PT, table saw and bandsaw.
A Record Power air filter which does a good job of making the air less dusty.
I don't bother with any extraction for my lathe as it seems somewhat pointless and I accept that I will spend a lot more time cleaning than I would like.

Dunno about the rest of you but i'd like to know what classic car he's got that's getting covered in dust.?

NikNak":us07zxs9 said:
Dunno about the rest of you but i'd like to know what classic car he's got that's getting covered in dust.?

MGB GT

I bought a camvac 336-4. Just looking at putting a cyclone/thien baffle collector in aswell but I dont know yet till it arrives

Back