My first roof build

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
V.3 I think this will be strong enough, I only need to look in the mirror if it goes to pot... :)

Attachments

• 20200603_175359_compress77.jpg
    20200603_175359_compress77.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 178
owen":3frid25g said:
You'll need an airgap if you're using 2" of insulation so you want at very least 3x2s

Cheers, I'm going to use 30mm insulation board so I'll have about a 20mm air gap.

On this subject, this guy on YouTube puts 'foil covered bubble wrap' up against the inside of the shed wall and then covers it with another sheet of thin timber. I guess if it works it works but it's not for me. Not good for electrical wires either apparently...

Jim, that roof will fail, and it will push the walls apart in the process. You completely missed my point when I said you can't just take the ties away. You can't. You can have a roof without ties, but it isn't just the old design with the ties erased. It is doubly complicated by the L shape.

If you are going to insulate, then you'll need bigger roof timbers. You aren't building a flat-pack store shed, you are building a workshop. It is ridiculous to look at a floppy 6x6 garden shed and try to take any structural lessons from that.

Have you read through the two threads linked to in my signature? That's your starting point. I am quite happy to design a shed with you and talk you through the construction if necessary, all FOC of course, but I'm walking away now if you don't take on board what I am saying about the roof structure.

^^ Pay attention.

Use correct spec and build it once. Build it cheapskate and expect failure and rusty tools, then rebuild. Costs far more. Better to over spec than cut corners - extra cost is trivial in the end.

MikeG.":38imu55i said:
Jim, that roof will fail, and it will push the walls apart in the process. You completely missed my point when I said you can't just take the ties away. You can't. You can have a roof without ties, but it isn't just the old design with the ties erased. It is doubly complicated by the L shape.

If you are going to insulate, then you'll need bigger roof timbers. You aren't building a flat-pack store shed, you are building a workshop. It is ridiculous to look at a floppy 6x6 garden shed and try to take any structural lessons from that.

Have you read through the two threads linked to in my signature? That's your starting point. I am quite happy to design a shed with you and talk you through the construction if necessary, all FOC of course, but I'm walking away now if you don't take on board what I am saying about the roof structure.

Thanks Mike, having now read your linked thread I'm going to; a. Take one big step back from where I was going. b. Start digging for the base. :)

Lots of excellent advice above, but can I ask if headroom is an issue why not a flat(ish)roof?

Back