DBT85s Workshop - Moved in and now time to fit it out

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I figured I won't touch this till Friday and maybe get the forms off then? Then maybe Saturday or Sunday for the brickwork?

I literally have everything here now as my timber was delivered 2 days early (and so is on on a trailer as I had hoped). I can spend time tomorrow and Friday moving my timber round the back to my staging area and getting some stuff cut like the studs.

Hopefully this means I can make steady progress as I'll not be waiting for much if anything.

Of all of it I think the framing looks like the most fun!

Sheptonphil":zvl1x4tc said:
flying haggis":zvl1x4tc said:
got any pics???
To save diverting the thread here, here’s a link to the =P~ foundation laying pictures there’s more out there if you use the topic as a search in google.
without hijacking this thread, concrete pours on that scale amaze me. the supply chain involved to keep the concrete coming must be enormous

Here's my massive pour from this afternoon:

3JF6sYk.jpg

Impressive, hey? :lol:

I assume its for a wall Mike?

A full 1.5m deep I hope! :roll:

Apart from the pour a 50m reel of 10mm 2 core SWA arrived (I need roughly 38m, add 3 or 4 just in case and it was only an extra £3 to just buy the 50m reel. Might be a useful length left to flog). The featheredge also rocked up from one timber yard and then I arrived home from dropping the poker back to find that my actual framing timber had been delivered 2 days early, and so not onto the farm trailer which would save me lots of humping around. So tomorrows job is to move that lot onto the trailer and at least sort it into which bits I need first as it's all a muddle.

49967798136_9945381cba_b.jpg

So here's pretty much as much as got troweled. As I said, its going to be covered anyway, but I'll always know that it's there.

49967284383_12eb0ba29d_b.jpg

I could have not bothered doing it and saved myself the blister and back ache, but this is what it looked like so I wanted to at least try.

49967795866_2b99968270_b.jpg

Next time I'm pouring a 7.5 cube slab in my back garden I'll take some useful lessons from this one. Incidentally, I used halfa cube more than calculated and they charged me 15 mins extra wait time. Had I just poured from the truck in the first place We'd have been done in plenty of time.

Over the next 2 or 3 days I can finalise framing plans and slice some blocks and then at some point over the weekend get some bricks on, at which point things should hopefully continue at a reasonable pace.

Pro bricklayers would start tomorrow. I'd certainly be taking the formwork off tomorrow, but bricklaying can wait until Friday or Saturday. It's worth taking the forms away relatively early because there will be little snots of concrete here and there which just need breaking off. You'll be able to do that before they get truly hard.

Ok I'll get them off today then. Watered it already today and its still got the tarp over it. Just about big enough!

I'll leave the bricklaying just to give my hands a rest I think :lol:

formwork off and stacked off the ground for use later, snots cleared, re waterd and covered again.

Took the time to clear some of the rest of the mess that was made :lol:

The difference in finish between the side I manage to trowel and the one I didn't is startling.

49970116757_1c2d669d17_b.jpg

Mostly rest now until Saturday

I know nothing about these things, but if the rough surface bothers you, could you hire a concrete grinder to flatten it off? It's probably no worthwhile if you're covering it all, but I can tell it's annoying you!

It all looks very well done to me.

NickM":1yizrrs1 said:
I know nothing about these things, but if the rough surface bothers you, could you hire a concrete grinder to flatten it off? It's probably no worthwhile if you're covering it all, but I can tell it's annoying you!

It all looks very well done to me.

Yeah there are options, either that or some compound to go over the top. Honestly its not worth it. Even it it wasn't getting covered it would be a fine surface to work on just as it is, it would just look funny with the colour change haha. If I could go back 36 hours I'd do a fair few things differently, but its all experience.

Todays job was getting the trench sorted for the power and ethernet. Conduit was already installed in the slab so I just needed to dig out the remaining 9 ish meters.

Once it was all dug out, Charles lent a hand to pull through some draw string. His nozzle was a perfectly snug fit in the conduit and I was impressed at his level of suck given a 10m run in ribbed conduit.
49974631971_5d430ac253_b.jpg

Drawstrings in it was time to fill it all back up again.
49974631321_7f2585020b_b.jpg

Mike also gave me a well earned break from digging a trench and instead brought up the trailer so that I could sort and move all the timber from the pile dumped on the driveway. It was all delivered in one bundle in a mishmash order, so now its all in bits together and easy to access.
49974110813_a99f168765_b.jpg

Regarding the costs so far for anyone interested. The slab all in has run to £2064, not including the cost to dig the hole or hire costs of the dumper, costs I do not know the number of. The total projected cost is still just under £6000. So 1/3 of it went into the ground.

The breakdown is thus
10x bags Type 1 £364.20
3x bags sharp sand £154.80
1x 6x8m DPM £49
12x A142 Mesh 3.6x2m £201.45
60x Meshmen £17.28
12x 90mm Circular mesh spacers £28.80
1x pack of double loop ties £24
1x double loop tool £27
7.5m2 concrete £1055.82
formwork £106.20
stakes £24.04

I'm just finishing a little voiceover for the 5 minute video of the hole being filled then the time lapse will be available for your pleasure :roll:

I'm looking forward to the time-lapse. :lol:

Do you have an account with a Builders Merchant? If you did, I think you'd be getting something of a saving on those prices. Also, if access for a lorry isn't an issue then you can get some really big savings by buying your aggregates loose rather than bagged. I've just paid £180 for 6 tonnes of ballast (and received about 7 tonnes! ) ....and that would have cost about £270 in bags.

I don't have an account Mike, but since all the timber bar the feather edge and the ridge, plus all the aggregate and steel pretty much came from Kellaway, they did a price that seemed reasonable and beat anything else I'd seen or had quotes for.

While we do have truck access, its only over a field and plenty of companies won't even consider it for obvious reasons. I was lucky that the concrete guy was happy to do it in the end.

MikeG.":16nxp6ef said:
A third of the cost in the ground is bang on normal. It's pretty much always the case with any new structure.

Yeah I figured it was fairly normal.

I hope to put all this experience to use for making a 3 car garage to essentially the same design but larger in the future, though of course that would have to be compliant with building regs as it will be larger.

Very good work there. Personally I prefer to use a long handled float - knees are too creaky to do all that kneeling down on planks :oops:

Back