Garden waterwheel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was looking forward to fitting the spokes.
01dff2f917f056d08e6ce07be7664886.jpg

I screwed a spoke onto the hub and dropped the brake discs on over.
The threaded bar was already in place so I hooked on the spoke and hub
a4d7112a2c05aba84b1ef846a43c9a4a.jpg

The first was the worse, everything after that was much easier
e31abda3fafa903249c4033cf4c427c6.jpg

47bb82390ffb37b31bcae7ca63e83b5b.jpg

4dfad95a3a69a78dd2592b9472615e7d.jpg

At this point everything was still loose. It was only the threaded bar stopping the side from falling off.
72f857f566484c4ef602f72e4c142ba8.jpg

I worked my way around the wheel tightening each nut- it was fair creaking and snacking as I began torqueing em up :lol:
488f28425c1b0b91206bfe162af2dafc.jpg

Seemed all was going well, until-
86d90a7dffe621b0e918e8978900d5b7.jpg

I couldnt get access to the end bolts that needed to bolt on th shaft- balls. I undone the brake discs and moved them out the way near the middle of the hub.
009732473586333f31132f65f4d12df4.jpg

I wound the outer bolts so they were all in the same position, then inserted the shaft through the hole. 90 degree turns equally on the ratchet and the shaft was secure.
b23d4ddfd128ec9303ad117a8dbb05b7.jpg

e739acbe96cbf3d2a89b00cade654a6a.jpg

The pulley that originally ran the saw fits onto the shaft where the saw blade was. Mike could we maybe use this to get motion ?
Pushing the wheel over to the forklift, I noticed the bearings were staying level
04069ec69eec3577f3a38172ce834df9.jpg

That did make me feel slightly more confident that the bearings may be o.k.
ed593af8ed955e993e51a97295621d79.jpg

I left the break discs in the middle of the hub so I could still get access to the bolts that clamped against the shaft. Spinning the wheel with my hand, it looked pretty good. I tightened up all the rest, then got a hose pipe to see if the thing would turn.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4fhKh ... p=drivesdk
I was really pleased that it turned with only a hose pipe. I had been looking at pumps that moved 15000+ litres an hour ! The hose pipe filled a 25 litre drum in a tad over 2 minutes 45seconds.
I glad it can finally be wheeled around the workshop in one piece- I'm getting cold feet about using the tablesaw to mount it on now though....
Cheers
Coley

Hi Coley
The finished wheel looks great! I can sympathise on the fitting of the metal tyre, some years back I made just one ornamental cart wheel using the traditional materials and mostly traditional methods. All went well up to the job of heating and fitting the tyre. I burnt a huge pile of scrap timber in two attempts to get it hot enough. Finally a red eyed, smoke stained woodworker managed to get the tyre in place and put out the resulting burning wheel. It looked good when done but wasn't anything like as easy to do as it looked in the wheelwright video.
Mike.
Just had a look at your latest post!! In the words of Raymond Baxter " SHE FLIES" well done.
Mike.

Yes I think the Pully will provide power for whatever you want. With that amount of power you might even floodlight it!

Mike Jordan":3snjk97z said:
Hi Coley
The finished wheel looks great! I can sympathise on the fitting of the metal tyre, some years back I made just one ornamental cart wheel using the traditional materials and mostly traditional methods. All went well up to the job of heating and fitting the tyre. I burnt a huge pile of scrap timber in two attempts to get it hot enough. Finally a red eyed, smoke stained woodworker managed to get the tyre in place and put out the resulting burning wheel. It looked good when done but wasn't anything like as easy to do as it looked in the wheelwright video.
Mike.
Just had a look at your latest post!! In the words of Raymond Baxter " SHE FLIES" well done.
Mike.
Was the ornamental wheel for your own garden Mike ? I think old wooden wheels look pretty as just ornaments. Trying to fit the ring was probably the most frustrating thing I've ever done, I really thought I'd allowed it slack enough- the g clamp picture suggests different :lol:

I'm still surprised by how little water it needed. It pretty much filled up an entire pocket but only moved ever so slightly then slowly but surely gained momentum until there was hardly any water in the pockets but it was still turning ! I'm not 100% sure but I think as the wheel got heavier from being soaked from water, it may have slowed down slightly. Is that something you've come across ?

One of the main reasons for taking a break from this (maybe until the weekend) is I'm thinking it might look better if I put the wheel looking this way -
620bbd6848f1298e40ea6b56218db149.jpg
instead of backing onto the shed.
Excuse the poorly photoshopped pic.

If I have it this way it'll be alot more noticeable when it's spinning. It'll also help keep the water off the shed. One extra bonus is the metal ring that didn't quite fit on could go at the back. If it went this way, the pulley to drive something would be at the back (not sure if that helps or not ?) The water would need to be hitting the wheel on the left hand side, instead of running from the shed guttering straight onto the wheel.The original idea was to have wooden guttering (with a hidden plastic liner) with the water being pumped into that.

My main concern now is its gonna look randomly out of place. With your wheels, you've kind of set a scene and as well as the waterwheel you've got other stuff going on that helps it look settled in its surroundings. Mine will just looked randomly dumped on the end. It almost needs some landscaping going on around it- perhaps a small pond, some rocks etc. Not really sure to be honest ?

On Saturday I may as well attack the saw bench with a grinder to see how it could look with the wheel fitted- worst case scenerio it looks megafugly- Atleast it'll be easier to chuck in the scrap metal skip :lol:
Cheers
Coley

Hi Coley
Yes the cartwheel is still hanging on the garden fence. My first question on siting your wheel is 'can you still get into the shed ? To be a bit more constructive, you will need some sort of trough beneath the wheel to contain the water and pump so perhaps combining that with the some sort of A frame for the wheel will allow it to be moved about until you find the best position in terms of appearance. A few potted pine trees or similar might hide anything you don't want to see. That's my only two methods of gardening really - mow it or hide it.
I don't think my wheel runs differently when wet but it is minute in size compared to yours. As I mentioned in a previous post the amount of water needed to run an ornamental wheel is very small, a small fish pond pump runs my wheel and fountain through two adjustable lever taps to control the flow.
Mike.

Just a passing thought (otherwise known as a daft idea) what about a figure about half a metre high digging in the flower trough? Better still perhaps stick with snoozing in a rocking chair.
Mike.

Mike Jordan":2insf5or said:
Hi Coley
Yes the cartwheel is still hanging on the garden fence. My first question on siting your wheel is 'can you still get into the shed ? To be a bit more constructive, you will need some sort of trough beneath the wheel to contain the water and pump so perhaps combining that with the some sort of A frame for the wheel will allow it to be moved about until you find the best position in terms of appearance. A few potted pine trees or similar might hide anything you don't want to see. That's my only two methods of gardening really - mow it or hide it.
I don't think my wheel runs differently when wet but it is minute in size compared to yours. As I mentioned in a previous post the amount of water needed to run an ornamental wheel is very small, a small fish pond pump runs my wheel and fountain through two adjustable lever taps to control the flow.
Mike.
Thanks Mike. The door is the other end, so access isn't an issue.
I think I need to be realistic and wrote the rest of the week off. My thinking this morning, was whatever happens I'll need to cut the saw bench, to either get it to fit, or to chuck it out easier. I was merrily taking bits off the saw table, when a guy who pops in now and again asked what I was up to. I told him the thoughts of the saw table and his reply was 'you can't do that, it's criminal ' apparantly he could pick it up at the weekend and use it as a sturdy workbench.
e54426e92b8e600d30c61c838592668e.jpg

If I cut it and decide it's not suitable I'll have sleepless nights knowing he could have used it. Grrrrrr !!!
I took of a piece of rusty angle iron this morning and uncovered some raised lettering - I quite like it.
464e7301203e68bf37d6305ccb265086.jpg

If I did use it I'd chop the red lines in the picture. I could use your 'hide it' idea to perhaps diguise the right hand side of the table, so the lump would be less obvious. I do wish the chap had came in a day later !!
Do you think it could look nice, old and rusty/weathered, or is it always gonna look like a chopped up table saw ?
Thanks for the support Mike [WINKING FACE]
Coley

If you have access to a welder perhaps the bench builder will donate some steel angle or HRS so you can do it the easier and lighter way. Just tacking a few bits together is more attractive than grinding castings and it would be tailored to your needs.
Mike.

Mike Jordan":bn31vbte said:
If you have access to a welder perhaps the bench builder will donate some steel angle or HRS so you can do it the easier and lighter way. Just tacking a few bits together is more attractive than grinding castings and it would be tailored to your needs.
Mike.
I think you're right Mike. He's better off using it as bench than me trying to palm it off as something it's not.
I've just visited the local garden centre and picked up a pump- that's one less thing to do.
My friend said it was a shame you've gone to the effort of making it, as you'll never see it unless you're sat in your car- I was sat in the car when he told me this and he's absolutely right ! I've done very little today, but have finally decided on something that should suit everyone.
cf3ad5cb5ad1b3bef69a738a2d985d4e.jpg

I need to move the planter that's already there along the concrete block wall- that'll help disguise the bare concrete blocks.
I then need to make a new planter type trough, that'll allow the wheel to sit inside. Perhaps have plants in the rest of it.
25daa4efe789f1980eebdcad9990c2d2.jpg

Atleast I'll be able to see it from nearly everywhere, instead of just in the car :lol:
Just need a decision on the guttering/water route location.

I just need to decide how to make the planter, more importantly see if I've got anything to make it with :lol:
Thanks Mike, for saying it how it is.
Coley

Gotta say Coley. Just my tuppence worth mind.
1) After all that work you need to be able to actually see it. :D
2) I think your man who wants the bench frame is right. (sorry!) :D I do think it would be madness to cut that up. I have a soft spot for stuff like that though. No idea why. I just do. There's no real logic I just think it deserves better after surviving so long on it's uppers.

Right I'll be on me way.... As always, your builds fascinate and bamboozle me in equal measure. Looking forwards as always to updates.

Cheers fella.
Chris

Bm101":3a6tzzp5 said:
Gotta say Coley. Just my tuppence worth mind.
1) After all that work you need to be able to actually see it. :D
2) I think your man who wants the bench frame is right. (sorry!) :D I do think it would be madness to cut that up. I have a soft spot for stuff like that though. No idea why. I just do. There's no real logic I just think it deserves better after surviving so long on it's uppers.

Right I'll be on me way.... As always, your builds fascinate and bamboozle me in equal measure. Looking forwards as always to updates.

Cheers fella.
Chris

Thanks Chris, appreciate your thoughts and agree 100%. It didn't cross my mind that someone may have wanted it for a bench, until it was pointed out.
He was so so lucky he caught me in time. It's been in the workshop for 10 months on death row :lol: It was literally like the noose on the rope was tied, hinges on the trap door oiled, last meal had, and all that was left was the drop and the neck breaking ! 30 minutes later and it would have got attacked :lol:
d9b88b10b6b0b6786eabb79968e32169.jpg

He came round earlier and took it away. He said he had to come and take it today, in case I had second thoughts and started hacking away at it. It's gone to a good home now that's for sure. Happy days.
I found a couple 200litre plastic drums earlier.
de995a666622540834532f760d9069af.jpg

I cut them length ways thinking I'll need a bigger water reservoir than soil area. Washed ready for chucking around tomorrow.
f82d464d7f5d96e6a7211a272e0168df.jpg

I had a quick fiddle on sketchup and think I'll need a double decker type arrangement with the drums. Water reservoir on the bottom, with a shallower tray ontop to grow a few weeds.
6c7b02224cf82b9d11f01443b8c1969d.jpg

Can't believe I'm making another friggin planter- I really thought the previous long planter was gonna be the last. I'm not even that fond of gardening :lol:
Atleast this one will be worthwhile. Hopefully it'll do a prettier job of mounting the waterwheel, and I'll be able to see it.
Cheers Chris.
Coley

I got there in the end
23edad52f96af5f991af56908270ec45.jpg

Never again !!! It was just so time consuming- the guttering took almost 2 days.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4fhKh ... p=drivesdk
Once it was in position I kept filling the grease cups until I could see it starting to ooze out. The front bearing had 8 cap fulls, the last cap full was crazy- each turn of the cap made the wheel go faster and faster, it must have been metal on metal rubbing somewhere. Trying to slow it down is a problem I didn't expect :lol:
Cheers
Coley

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Hi Coley
That looks great! You are now qualified to join the Water Wheel Watchers Club, members are required to sit in comfortable chairs with a drink in hand and watch the action.
I know what you mean about time consuming, it's the one off wild idea that costs a fortune if you start to add up the time spent beating up the brain to sort the little details out. On the other hand how many joiners do you know who have built a functioning water wheel ? Why not put a photo of it on the business cards and see what sorts of interesting work that attracts?
My little wheel is still working about ten hours a day with the odd dab of oil to keep the figures moving, if it lasts the season out I may be tempted to see what additions can be made during next winter when I take it back into the workshop.
MIke.

It's very addictive to watch isn't it Mike. I reckon I lose about 20mm of water a day running it continously (I reckon I've got about 250mm of water height) . A fair bit splashs about when it gets up to speed.
I reckon the 'odd dab' of oil isn't much if it's running daily. It'll be interesting to see what future additions you come up with !
I've got a few bits to finish off (boxing in the pipe that drops into the gutter etc) then I'm taking a break from it.
Thanks Mike
Coley

Brilliant! Love it. It's a proper beast. Look at it go! :shock: You should wire that up to an induction motor *mumbles a bit to cover complete ignorance of owt electrical* and generate your own electric (possibly).

Bm101":1zo1jqym said:
Brilliant! Love it. It's a proper beast. Look at it go! :shock: You should wire that up to an induction motor *mumbles a bit to cover complete ignorance of owt electrical* and generate your own electric (possibly).
Thanks bud. Ha ha, I like your thinking ! Frwee electricity for everybody that supply a 12v bicycle dynamo :lol:

Hi Coley. My wheel is now on its fourth season of winding the figures about, apart from having to glue back a loose magnet every now and then and put on a dab of oil/grease it works pretty well. How did your huge wheel fare? Mike

Back