Wadkin Spindle moulder can I use it with a dovetail jig?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthew Woodworks

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I've a small Wadkin Bursgreen spindle moulder with a 1" shaft. Is it possible to fit dovetail cutters and if so how do I do it? Sorry for being dumb, as I've only ever used it as a groover. Can I remove the shaft? I doubt it.....so is it possible to get a collet adaptor for a 1" shaft?
Thanks for any help or advice.....
Matthew

Matthew Woodworks":1kzbl9rc said:
Hi,
I've a small Wadkin Bursgreen spindle moulder with a 1" shaft. Is it possible to fit dovetail cutters and if so how do I do it? Sorry for being dumb, as I've only ever used it as a groover. Can I remove the shaft? I doubt it.....so is it possible to get a collet adaptor for a 1" shaft?
Thanks for any help or advice.....
Matthew

Which model WB?

Likely yes, as all the models I'm aware of came with removable spindle top pieces. Some earlier models used a taper other a straight shaft for the pieces. Both used draw bars to secure. Not 100% sure what you are asking though. You want to fit router bits to cut dovetails on a jig or....

If you wanted to run router bits you would need to find a router collet adapter top piece. I've been looking for one for a while for my BER 2, but haven't had any success in finding one, so they might be rare-ish.

Pictures always help too.

Hi,
Many thanks for your thoughts.....I, perhaps rather hastily, bought a dovetail jig and cutters on ebay with blind faith they would fit, and last night thought maybe not?

I'm not sure which spindle moulder model I have - its up at my workshops (the most similar one i can find image wise is the wadkin brs). I've attached some photos of the dovetail jig and cutters + the spindle collet

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-24 at 10.34.04.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-24 at 10.34.04.png
    930 KB · Views: 149
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-24 at 10.33.47.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-24 at 10.33.47.png
    960.7 KB · Views: 150
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-24 at 10.33.34.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-24 at 10.33.34.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 149
I think this is machine I have.....the diameter of the spindle is 1"

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-24 at 10.46.26.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-24 at 10.46.26.png
    422.7 KB · Views: 138
This is the model although not my machine.....(got the photo from google)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-24 at 10.49.49.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-24 at 10.49.49.png
    246.1 KB · Views: 132
Sorry for multiple posts from me on this subject. I think I can remove the spindle itself but I think I need a special tool or is there a way to remove the spindle without one. I've attached photos. Any help with this would really helpful.
Thanks,
Matthew

Attachments

• IMG_20200524_1402098.jpg
    IMG_20200524_1402098.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 120
  • IMG_20200524_1402346.jpg
    IMG_20200524_1402346.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 120
You need to get on Instagram and have a chat with Jack Forsberg and Dovetail Timberworks, both are BRS enthusiasts. If I recall correctly Dovetail was having new stub shafts made for his moulder whilst Jack already has some form of router attachment for his BRS.

That sounds promising. I'll get in touch with them to find out if they can help/advise! Many thanks for your help. Such a blessing there are people who will help others with such wonderful machines.

Matthew Woodworks":pwf98r65 said:
Hi,
Many thanks for your thoughts.....I, perhaps rather hastily, bought a dovetail jig and cutters on ebay with blind faith they would fit, and last night thought maybe not?

I'm not sure which spindle moulder model I have - its up at my workshops (the most similar one i can find image wise is the wadkin brs). I've attached some photos of the dovetail jig and cutters + the spindle collet

If you have all the items in the pictures you just posted then I'm pretty sure you have everything you need. Isn't that spindle top piece in that picture the one you indicate you need? I just looked real quickly and the BRS uses a top lock nut (that is what that pin spanner wrench is for in that picture) to retain the spindle top piece, not a draw bar like the later BER. Use the pin spanner to undo that top lock nut (you can see the hole for it in your picture in your next post). Once that lock nut is off you should be able to just pull up the spindle top piece and put the one you have purchased in. Make sure you don't get any dirt or dust on either the taper or the seat.

Once you have the new top piece in you should be good to go.

Also, suggest reading this entire thread.
https://forum.canadianwoodworking.com/f ... eded/page2

Also, this one. At the very bottom of the first page the last picture shows the spindle top nut with the pin spanner in it.
https://forum.canadianwoodworking.com/f ... brs-shaper

KT

Hi KT,
Many thanks for your thoughts on the spindle moulder dovetail jig. I had a go yesterday evening at taking of the existing spindle and I think you're spot on in that the tool in the photos does just that. So, hopefully it'll all work!

I'll post an update when the jig and cutters arrive.
Many thanks,
Matthew

Matthew Woodworks":yfx1vkex said:
Hi KT,
Many thanks for your thoughts on the spindle moulder dovetail jig. I had a go yesterday evening at taking of the existing spindle and I think you're spot on in that the tool in the photos does just that. So, hopefully it'll all work!

I'll post an update when the jig and cutters arrive.
Many thanks,
Matthew

Wish they had made such a jig and corresponding top piece for the BER2. They look super handy/useful to have. Wonder if that jig could be used with a standard router collet adapter for he BER2....

Latest posts

Back