Hancock's Half Hour

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Andy Kev.":1sx2u1u6 said:
I've just been watching a chunk of his press conference. His justification is that both he and his wife were coming down with symptoms and his wife was not sure that she would be well enough to be able to look after the child. He was concerned that he might become seriously ill as well and on the next day that was the case although his wife's condition did not deteriorate further.

He had an offer from family members of an isolated house and his 17 year old niece offered to help out with the child. To take up the offer he drove north on a full tank of petrol without stopping. This all seems reasonable enough.

One of the journalists at the press conference asked (ridiculously in my view) if it was right of him to take advantage of the offer of an isolated house when other people who had the disease did not have such things at their disposal. He showed more restraint than I would have done by not pointing out the absurdity of the question. Anybody who has a potentially life threatening disease and who has children will use all the resources at their disposal to make the best of the situation.

He pointed out that had he stayed in London and had both he and his wife become incapable, then other people would have had to become exposed to the disease by entering their house to look after the child.

It looks increasingly as if the criticism of him is petulant and overwhelmingly politically motivated.

gymnastics.jpg

Garno":pb00rwr2 said:
Droogs":pb00rwr2 said:
jealous TN very jealous

I'm with you on that one, I absolutely love pork and bacon :D

Running behind - cut 40kg of mince this afternoon, but sausages and bacon will wait until tomorrow. And burgers. And meatballs. Did have chops for lunch - madness not to, as we had 300 available to choose from. Life is a constant struggle, I admit.

Blackswanwood":cbzbfgnj said:
For those who enjoy piecing together the data this may be of interest:

https://www.oliverwyman.com/content/dam ... gator1.pdf

The summary of the impact on economies is interesting (and scary)

Exhibit 5 - Track and Trace also jumped out for me.

The final comment that the skills we learn in this current phase of the response may well be useful in dealing with future pandemics is a bit chilling.

Not really, they had been saying we were overdue for quite a while when globalisation and travel to parts of the world that were mostly previously inaccessible for the average person, and just how many people regularly travel internationally is taken into account.

I just hope that this is indeed taken as a learning experience and measures put in place.

Phil Pascoe":3piewohb said:
The squeal. What have you done with the squeal? :D
The memories of killing a pig before the days of a freezer.

Being chastised by the local slaughterer for not catching the squeal.
The burning off the bristles with boltons of straw, and scrubbing off the ash.

Several days of eating all the offal up to save wasting it, (days on farm with no electricity and just a cold dairy slab and evaporating water to keep it cool).

A day (it seemed like anyway) working the yard pump washing out Chitterlings, several days of the smell of rendering fat as it was turned into pure white 'rosemary' Lard.
Mixing the Blood, pearl barley, chunks of fat etc. to make the black puddings.

Being allowed to put the cooked head meat into basins and covered with a saucer and spare weights to make the Brawn.

Making sure the cats and dogs were kept out of dairy room where the sides and hams were being dry salted, wondering where salt Peter came from that was rubbed around the ham bones.

Oh, and playing football with the inflated bladder.

CHJ":38e2rc2p said:
Phil Pascoe":38e2rc2p said:

Did you hoist your pig into the air by its back legs and only then kill it? That always struck me as an exciting way to get badly hurt. And very, very loud.
We use boiling water and the edge of a metal horn to scrape the hide - same result.
Several days of eating all the offal up to save wasting it, (days on farm with no electricity and just a cold dairy slab and evaporating water to keep it cool).
Ours is all boiled up, and in the freezer in 1 litre pots for dog food. Amazing how profligate that feels, but dogs need to eat too.
A day (it seemed like anyway) working the yard pump washing out Chitterlings, several days of the smell of rendering fat as it was turned into pure white 'rosemary' Lard.

Being allowed to put the cooked head meat into basins and covered with a saucer and spare weights to make the Brawn.
Again - dogs. There is no need to pretend that you "enjoy" brawn. We put all the head meat into sausages, but locally you cut the head in half and roast in the oven, and then everyone fights over the best, most interesting parts. Eyeballs are considered a prize.
Making sure the cats and dogs were kept out of dairy room where the sides and hams were being dry salted, wondering where salt Peter came from that was rubbed around the ham bones.
We only make hams at Christmas, because it is just too good. Three pigs would hardly last a month if we turned it all into ham.
Ahh, yes - that new-fangled "making your own entertainment". Very modern.

Is it me, or did we just get very off topic? Apologies.

Now the pm seems to have made lock down rules a matter of personal interpretation, what happens when the virus next gets out of control and govt tries to reimpose lock down measures?
Meanwhile I see in South Korea a fella's been imprisoned for four months for twice breaking the self-isolation rule.

CHJ":3iu48cyt said:
Phil Pascoe":3iu48cyt said:

You DO realise you've just sent all our vegans and vegetarians off screaming to the Vomitorium :D

Chris152":2o5w1p5w said:
Now the pm seems to have made lock down rules a matter of personal interpretation, what happens when the virus next gets out of control and govt tries to reimpose lock down measures?

It will fail. Badly. I see in the press the media suggesting that many, if not all, those fined for breaking lockdown will appeal. Between them Johnson and Cummings have rendered lockdown null and void. Johnson needs to grow a pair.

RogerS":3odt9h20 said:
Chris152":3odt9h20 said:

It will fail. Badly. I see in the press the media suggesting that many, if not all, those fined for breaking lockdown will appeal. Between them Johnson and Cummings have rendered lockdown null and void. Johnson needs to grow a pair.

Whether DC's trip to Durham was necessary is moot, but no one in their right mind can believe he drove a thirty mile trip to a beauty spot on his wife's birthday to "test his eyesight". How bloody stupid does he think people are? As a friend said on Sunday - I'll do as I wish, now - if they don't prosecute DC they won't dare prosecute anyone else.

Also, I see the UK govt seems to be going ahead with its plans to reopen schools and now shops imminently. In the pm's green light speech on easing of lockdown measures, he said these steps were contingent on the R rate staying low enough to do so.
Ok. But in the absence of widespread testing in the UK, how do we know what the R rate is now or next week? I took a look at the bbc website and it says this:

'How is R calculated?
You cannot capture the moment people are infected; instead scientists work backwards.
Using data - such as the number of people dying, admitted to hospital or testing positive for the virus - allows you to estimate how easily the virus is spreading.
Generally this gives a picture of what the R number was two to three weeks ago. Regular testing of households should soon give a more timely estimate'.

So we'll find out 2 or 3 weeks after kids go back into school etc how rapidly the virus was spreading at that time? Hmmm

RogerS":2riicxa3 said:
"The CPS review found that 175 out of 187 charges under the regulations were correct."

You're meant to be ignoring me. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back