Record Power BS350

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Discobob

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have been offered a BS350 for £320 locally complete with the bases - only issue the seller has said is the micro switch when the bottom cabinet is opened doesn’t work.

Thoughts on this?? Is it a good price? Is it a good buy for a novice building up a workshop?

TIA

I paid a lot more than that for mine!

Regards the microswitch; I thought the idea was the machine didn't work when the cabinet was open? If he's saying it has somehow been overridden and it's possible to activate the machine even when the door is open then that could be construed as bit of a concern (Hence low asking price?). That said, I don't put my whole trust in the microswitches anyway and if I'm doing something that involves having the doors open - cleaing, blade change - I tend to unplug it from the mains anyway.

Wiring and micro switches are peanuts to sort. have a test, if it runs and cuts, buy it.

DBT85":liy2e4v6 said:
Yeah don't worry about a microswitch. Probably under 2 quid to replace.

It might have been a while since you bought a door micro switch, :shock: , but under 20 quid is still a good price to get a working bandsaw running safely. :D 8)

sunnybob":37qc3qmc said:
DBT85":37qc3qmc said:
Yeah don't worry about a microswitch. Probably under 2 quid to replace.

It might have been a while since you bought a door micro switch, :shock: , but under 20 quid is still a good price to get a working bandsaw running safely. :D 8)
Ebay covered in them for a couple of quid. Maybe buying one from Record is dearer?

If they are same as the axminster bandsaw switches, they' :roll: :lol: re considerably more than the basic microswitch.

sunnybob":14vu275p said:
If they are same as the axminster bandsaw switches, they' :roll: :lol: re considerably more than the basic microswitch.
It's Axminster, might as well ask for some from Marks and Spencer!

Can someone please tell me whether the BS350 runs on an ordinary 13 amp socket, or does it need a 16 amp set up ?
About to rewire my small shop completely and would like to future proof it as much as poss. A bandsaw is a future possibility.

Westwood":3fer0w63 said:
Can someone please tell me whether the BS350 runs on an ordinary 13 amp socket, or does it need a 16 amp set up ?
About to rewire my small shop completely and would like to future proof it as much as poss. A bandsaw is a future possibility.

No problem with 13amp supply, I even have a 2Hp extractor running on the same circuit at the same time, but start one the bandsaw first and the extractor on a radio switch.

And to answer the original question, bight the sellers hand off, its a good price.

That will run fine on a standard 3-pin socket. Price is great if in workable condition. The microswitch is probably full of rubbish, so worth cleaning it out and see if it works. If not, you can get replacements from RS for a couple of quid, or a Record Power dealer for considerably more :D

They are good saws - pretty well made and Record are decent on price and availability of parts - check the table is flat (especially where the table splits for blade access, and that the trunnion (table mount) has no slack when locked. Otherwise, as the previous poster said, if it runs, it's a good buy.

It's good for any workshop - it's precise enough for narrow work, and meaty enough for big rips and veneers. Worth getting some outfeed roller stands if you are cutting long pieces - it will happily cut pieces that are waaaaay longer than the table can support :D

Oh and if you need to move it around in your shop, get/make a wheel stand - it's properly heavy.

good luck and have fun.

Back