any lacquer spraying tips?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thetyreman

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm just working on a project and decided to use spray lacquer, any tips? I've not used it before, so it is new to me.

I'm spraying it outside on saw horses, is spraying it in the shade better than sunlight? I'm using an aldi lacquer,

the first coat seemed to go alright but there are patches where it's thicker than other bits, no drips though,

the wood is redwood pine,

cheers,

Ben.

really really make sure you shake the tin for at least 5 mins.
stay about 6 - 8" away
move your whole arm NOT your wrist
start to the left of the thing you are spraying, press the nozzle before you reach the first edge, Do Not Stop until you are past the right edge and ONLY THEN release the nozzle
move down 3" and do the same going in the reverse direction.
Make sure the temperature of the air is above 5C and preferably do it in a well sheltered but ventilated space. ANY breeze etc will wreck the finish.
It should about 2 seconds a linear meter to do and only put a light coat (called a mist coat) for the first 2 and then you can be a little more heavy handed. Lots of thin coats is good

K E E P S H A K I N G T H E C A N

And wear PPE

Droogs":9c3w9cnt said:
really really make sure you shake the tin for at least 5 mins.
stay about 6 - 8" away
move your whole arm NOT your wrist
start to the left of the thing you are spraying, press the nozzle before you reach the first edge, Do Not Stop until you are past the right edge and ONLY THEN release the nozzle
move down 3" and do the same going in the reverse direction.
Make sure the temperature of the air is above 5C and preferably do it in a well sheltered but ventilated space. ANY breeze etc will wreck the finish.
It should about 2 seconds a linear meter to do and only put a light coat (called a mist coat) for the first 2 and then you can be a little more heavy handed. Lots of thin coats is good

K E E P S H A K I N G T H E C A N

And wear PPE

thanks for the advice, I managed to get a result I'm quite happy with, even with quite high winds, it was sheltered and in the shade, made sure I wore mhe mask with organic filters, hoping to do the final coat tomorrow

Back